what is the deal with thimbles?

Old November 11th 05, 08:38 PM
Cathy

Default what is the deal with thimbles?

I wear my thimble on the middle finger of my right hand, and push the
needle with the top of the thimble. At present, I have osteoarthritis
in the end knuckle of that finger, and my usual thimble hurts because it
kind of rides on the swelling. I need to switch, so will be looking fro
a leather thimble that I can use in the same way

Cathy in Burnaby (formerly Vancouver)

DrQuilter wrote:
I see all these posts about thimbles and searching for the holy grail,
eer, thimble. what is the deal? I have several thimbles I love, most of
them gotten at estate/yard sales for a few bucks, usually in a lot of
sewing stuff. according to the day, the heat, the size of my finger I
use one or another. I don't get it.. what is it you don't like about
regular thimbles?

Old November 11th 05, 08:44 PM
monique

I have teeny little hands (wedding ring is a size 4), so thimbles never
fit me either. I take that back: I have an antique child's thimble
which does fit.

I find that the leather thimbles with the dimpled "coin" disk in the end
work well for me. They stretch after a while though and I have to slip
a rubber band around them at the joint, but they do the trick. Luckily,
they are cheap to replace if you lose one.

Monique in TX
and just where is our fall weather?!
Old November 11th 05, 11:03 PM
Marcella Peek

Have you tried the new Clover one? The size is adjustable, so maybe it
wouldn't twist on you.

http://www.londasclovernotions.com/s...t/No.%206017_8

marcella

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

I'll add my name to the list of the "squarish" fingers, rather than the
tapered ones. I really wanted to be able to use one of the pretty
thimbles that have a little cutout for the fingernail (my nails grow
fast, and I don't always want to have to take time to file them before
quilting), but I push the needle with the pad of my finger rather than
the top. That means that thimbles gradually turn around on my finger as
I go. My "holy grail" has turned out to be a tailor's thimble (no top at
all), and it works perfectly for me.
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old November 11th 05, 11:07 PM
teleflora

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
Have you tried the new Clover one? The size is adjustable, so maybe it
wouldn't twist on you.

http://www.londasclovernotions.com/s...t/No.%206017_8

marcella

I have that one. It's just a little heavy for me.

Cindy

Old November 12th 05, 03:50 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

Have you tried the new Clover one? The size is adjustable, so maybe it
wouldn't twist on you.

http://www.londasclovernotions.com/s...t/No.%206017_8

marcella

Thanks, Marcella, but any thimble turns because of the way I push the
needle. I've tried the adjustable ones before; luckily, I'm really happy
with my tailor's thimble.

Old November 12th 05, 05:54 AM
Mystified One

I like the leather ones.

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Marcella Peek wrote:
:
: Have you tried the new Clover one? The size is adjustable, so maybe it
: wouldn't twist on you.
:
: http://www.londasclovernotions.com/s...t/No.%206017_8
:
: marcella
:
:
: Thanks, Marcella, but any thimble turns because of the way I push the
: needle. I've tried the adjustable ones before; luckily, I'm really happy
: with my tailor's thimble.
: --
: Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
: my ISP is earthlink.net -- put sfoster1(at) in front

Old November 12th 05, 06:35 AM
Mignon Mason

I like a piece of duct tape..works for me!!

Old November 12th 05, 03:48 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Mystified One" wrote:

I like the leather ones.

When i first started quilting, I'd never used a thimble, even though I'd
sewn garments for years. To "train" myself, I used a soft leather
thimble (not the stiff ones they seem determined to sell these days G)
until I was used to wearing something and pushing with it.

One advantage to using a thimble like my tailor's (topless) thimble and
having it rotate slowly around my finger as I push is that I suspect it
will take a very *long* time to wear a hole in one of the thimble
dimples! G That's because I don't use the same dimple or almost the
same one each time.

Old November 12th 05, 04:57 PM
DrQuilter

mmmmhhh. I must have very standard fingers... and i never had acrylic
nails... I can see how long nails would interfere, but how many of us
keep our nails long? probably not too many, uh? In my case, they get in
the way of doing things with my hands. when my nails get longer than
let's say 1/4", they bug me, they feel heavy, like they are putting
strain on the nail bed...

teleflora wrote:
Well, my needs have changed since I started up again with the acrylic nails.
My old thimbles don't fit. Of course, they were used mostly for piecing and
sewing work. I've NEVER had a thimble that worked well for me for quilting.

Cindy

"DrQuilter" wrote in message

I see all these posts about thimbles and searching for the holy grail, eer,
thimble. what is the deal? I have several thimbles I love, most of them
gotten at estate/yard sales for a few bucks, usually in a lot of sewing
stuff. according to the day, the heat, the size of my finger I use one or
another. I don't get it.. what is it you don't like about regular thimbles?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old November 12th 05, 09:03 PM
teleflora

Mine aren't long - long. Probably not much more than 1/4". But they don't
bend at all. And the thimble just feels weird with them on.

In my case, acrylic nails are a blessing because if I have them, I don't
pick at my cuticles and have sore fingers. I can also reach into my files
without tearing at hang nails. On the negative side (or positive if you are
so inclined) DD nor DH asks me to scratch their back when it itches. You
have to be creative when it comes to picking up those tiny needles I use.
Spit on a fingertip works for me.

Cindy