what is the deal with thimbles?

Old November 11th 05, 06:48 AM
DrQuilter

Default what is the deal with thimbles?

I see all these posts about thimbles and searching for the holy grail,
eer, thimble. what is the deal? I have several thimbles I love, most of
them gotten at estate/yard sales for a few bucks, usually in a lot of
sewing stuff. according to the day, the heat, the size of my finger I
use one or another. I don't get it.. what is it you don't like about
regular thimbles?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old November 11th 05, 01:45 PM
Bonnie NJ

Hi,

It may be that my fingers are misshappen. The thimbles that fit my
fingertips leave very sore spots on my first knuckle and prevents only
allows me to sew for short periods of time. I'm looking for a thimble that
will allow me to sew longer with no discomfort.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old November 11th 05, 02:10 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Mine did that at first but I built up a callous and it never bothered me
again. Same with my underneath finger. Once I get the callous built up it
last forever.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
ink.net...

Old November 11th 05, 02:11 PM
Georg

DrQuilter wrote:
I see all these posts about thimbles and searching for the holy grail,
eer, thimble. what is the deal? I have several thimbles I love, most of
them gotten at estate/yard sales for a few bucks, usually in a lot of
sewing stuff. according to the day, the heat, the size of my finger I
use one or another. I don't get it.. what is it you don't like about
regular thimbles?

Not everyone has a regular finger to fit into regular thimbles, or their
style of stitching is incompatible. It's one of those your mileage may
vary things.

Personally, regular thimbles fall off and I feel are very awkward on my
finger. I have trouble remembing to use the thimble to push the needle.
So I have never found a thimble I feel really comfy with. I think the
kind that would suit my style best would likely be a ring thimble, but
there is a leather thimble I liked (and promptly lost).

-georg
Old November 11th 05, 04:19 PM
Marcella Peek

In article . net,
"Bonnie NJ" wrote:

Hi,

It may be that my fingers are misshappen. The thimbles that fit my
fingertips leave very sore spots on my first knuckle and prevents only
allows me to sew for short periods of time. I'm looking for a thimble that
will allow me to sew longer with no discomfort.

Me too! The Dritz or other standard thimbles at Joanns, Walmart and the
like are angled. Narrower at the top than the opening. My fingers are
the straight and not wider at the first knuckle. I use one of those
standard thimbles and they tip and leave a painful groove. Not an
enjoyable experience.

I tried a lot of thimbles before I found one I love. But, I kept all
the rejects and take them to my hand quilting classes. People can
sample different thimbles all day long until they find something that
works for them.

marcella
Old November 11th 05, 05:34 PM
teleflora

Well, my needs have changed since I started up again with the acrylic nails.
My old thimbles don't fit. Of course, they were used mostly for piecing and
sewing work. I've NEVER had a thimble that worked well for me for quilting.

Cindy

Old November 11th 05, 05:50 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article . net,
"Bonnie NJ" wrote:

[...]

I'll add my name to the list of the "squarish" fingers, rather than the
tapered ones. I really wanted to be able to use one of the pretty
thimbles that have a little cutout for the fingernail (my nails grow
fast, and I don't always want to have to take time to file them before
quilting), but I push the needle with the pad of my finger rather than
the top. That means that thimbles gradually turn around on my finger as
I go. My "holy grail" has turned out to be a tailor's thimble (no top at
all), and it works perfectly for me.
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old November 11th 05, 06:35 PM
Marlys in Indiana

My fingers aren't tapered either. Also I occasionally have very long
nails - like right now - and a regular thimble really isn't possible to
use. I still have my mother's old regular thimble but I can't use it
even if my nails weren't long. I have a very simple plastic one that
has the opening for my nail and it works great for anything I do
with a needle. It is also very cheap but is the greatest that I've
found for my use. But, again, that's just me. See it he
http://files.quiltknit.com/images/notions/nt147.jpg
Ann in Maryland agrees with me on this one. Just what works for
us, I'd say. Again, as previously stated, "Your mileage may vary."
If I had the money I'd go for one of the Roxanne thimbles. (A dream
of mine, but I'm really not all that concerned about it coming true.)
Marlys in Indiana

Old November 11th 05, 07:19 PM
teleflora

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

It may be that my fingers are misshappen. The thimbles that fit my
fingertips leave very sore spots on my first knuckle and prevents only
allows me to sew for short periods of time. I'm looking for a thimble
that will allow me to sew longer with no discomfort.

--
Bonnie
NJ

I took a hammer and mashed a thimble. Just having the sides smooshed in a
little make it fit my finger a lot better. This was pre-long nails though.
You might try it on a CHEAP metal thimble.

Cindy

Old November 11th 05, 07:35 PM
MB

Oh, that's very similar to the new Clover thimble I just bought...
http://scarlettrose.com/open_sided_thimble.html I like it because
my nail is free.
Mary

( snipped) I have a very simple plastic one that