OT Rant about posts

Old September 16th 05, 03:43 PM
frood

Default OT Rant about posts

Rant ahead.

I'm not sure when, or why it changed, but there used to be a time, not so
long ago, that people censored themselves. Things said in public were kept
to a certain level of politeness. Most people didn't curse in public. Most
people were careful about the audience they told off-color jokes to. Now,
everywhere I go, I hear swear words. I hear jokes I'd rather not hear. I
hear intimate details of people's lives.

This newsgroup is a public place. More than that, this newsgroup is public
and archived. The posts here used to reflect that. RCTQers, for the most
part, realized that swearing in public was inconsiderate, and that jokes
didn't have to be offensive to be funny. Many, many posters censored
themselves in their posts. I'm not just talking about joke or "humor" posts,
but in ordinary threads. And joke posts used carry warnings if they were
possibly offensive.

There are no newsgroup police, and I'm glad for that. I don't want this to
become a moderated group. Yes, I know it's easy enough to skip over or
filter some posts. But sometimes it's not. Sometimes right in the middle of
things, life happens, and we are all exposed to it. But hey, I'm just
ranting about the current state of things. Don't say I didn't warn you.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old September 16th 05, 04:03 PM
Diana Curtis

Self censorship is a good thing, and the abilty to self censor is pricelss.
Rant noted and appreciated.
Diana

Old September 16th 05, 04:17 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Self-control and self-censorship seems to be a "lost art". I have young
children (4&2), and get so mad when people don't watch what they say in
public. They don't seem to care that things they are saying maybe
inappropriate for young ears and even without the children, it is (or at
least once was) considered rude and inconsiderate. Our society's manors
have really gone down hill.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

m...

Old September 16th 05, 04:36 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Diana Curtis wrote:

Self censorship is a good thing, and the abilty to self censor is pricelss.
Rant noted and appreciated.
Diana

Ditto that. And I'll add that -- as I wrote in another thread --
discretion is usually supposed to go hand in hand with free speech.

frood wrote:
[...]

Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 16th 05, 05:17 PM
AliceW

Wendy, I don't like it when another ethnic group or other singled out
groups (blondes, for instance) are made the brunt of a joke. I think
in this day and age we should be beyond that. Telling jokes like those
or even sending them in email at my office is a terminatable offense.
I don't have enough time in the day to do the things I would like to do
so I choose not use what spare time I do have to read those kind of
posts - especially when they warn you ahead of time that you are going
to be offended in some form or fashion. I'm the first one to make fun
of myself - and most of the time it's justifiable - but I don't like
others making jokes at my expense since those types of comments are
usually more hurtful than funny and I won't treat others that way
either (or I try my very best not to). But, that's just me.

Old September 16th 05, 05:27 PM
Diana Curtis

But we can still make jokes about llamas, cant we?
Di (who missed the running again)

Betty in Wi wrote:
Well said, Wendy.

Betty in WI

Old September 16th 05, 05:34 PM
Betty in Wi

Hey, I was there. Last minute thing so didn't get a chance to warn you!

Betty up the road in WI

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
But we can still make jokes about llamas, cant we?
Di (who missed the running again)

Betty in Wi wrote:
Well said, Wendy.

Betty in WI

Old September 16th 05, 05:35 PM
Kathy Applebaum

If you do, watch out for the Llama Protection Union. For too long now, poor
innocent llamas have been the brunt of cruel jokes and stereotypes. If you
saw the tears roll down a llama's cheeks every time it hears yet another
tasteless joke about how many llamas it takes to screw in a light bulb,
you'd be heartbroken.
(tongue so firmly in my cheek that it hurts)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
But we can still make jokes about llamas, cant we?
Di (who missed the running again)

Betty in Wi wrote:
Well said, Wendy.

Betty in WI

Old September 16th 05, 05:39 PM
frood

No, it's not just you. And that's my point.

--
Capn Grainne O'Malley the Drunken Tongue
Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19, 2005
Un-STUFF email address to reply

oups.com...