Flooring help needed

Old August 13th 05, 12:58 AM
Mary in Washington

Oh Diana.......that hurts me just reading it and I have a strong
stomach. Hope it is feeling better by now

Mary

Old August 13th 05, 12:59 AM
Cheryl

My motto - the less legs the more dangerous. No legs at all is worst - at
least in terms of immediate threat. But two is usually biggest and most
frequent pest.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
8 legs at least :-p
Roberta in D

"Cheryl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Yeah!! What was it in life? You got us all excited and then left us
hanging.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message
uhhhhhhh........... kinda scared to ask......... what did it resemble

in
its
flatness?

~KK in BC~ being a tad morbidly curious.........

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Ha! One night after unwisely drinking a lot of tea just before

bedtime,
had to get up at an hour when my eyes don't open. Didn't turn lights
on,

can find the bathroom in the dark. Fortunately put my slippers on.

The
next morning I found a very large squashed corpse right in the middle
of
the bathroom! Vaguely remembered a sort of lump in the floor during

my
nighttime excursion...
Roberta in D, who will never ever even think of going barefoot in the

dark

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The other night, in the middle of the night, I had to go to the
toilet,
and right outside the bathroom door sat this huge spider. Now I

wasn't
wearing my glasses even, but still saw it. The spiders here are of

course
quite safe (for humans, not for themselves).

Wnet back through the flat, collected glasses (why? I didn't really

waht
to see it), and shoes (not slippers). Sad to say, the spider did not
survive.

Sorry, but those big ones don't belong in my flat, and I can't get

myself
to handle them alive...

Hanne in London

Cheryl wrote:
I had friends on a rural property years ago. They had three young
children.
As everyone came in through the back door, shoes were stacked

there.
No-one
was allowed out without sturdy shoes on - even/especially in hot
weather -
as this was snake territory! This also worked fine for inside -

less
dirt
on the carpets for mum to clean.

Until one night we three adults were slumped down on chairs with

our
legs
stretched out in front of us, relaxing after a day of tree planting

(500
seedlings, but that's another story).

Suddenly he elbowed me. I looked over and elbowed her. We all sat
there
not moving as the very large scorpion wandered past him and towards

me.
As
soon as it was well past him and obviously eyeing off the females
present he
got up quietly, went into the laundry and returned with a boot.
Squashed
scorpion! Then we all went back to watching the movie. No-one had

said
word.

Old August 13th 05, 04:11 AM
melinda

Laurie G. wrote:
I scrolled all the way down - no squeamish here! All I can say is
OUCH!!!!!!!

I am enjoying all the posts about "carpet/no carpet". DH & I will be
building a new house in two years and have decided to go "no carpet". You
have just convinced me that we made the right decision! I hope your knee
heals well.

I want to get rid of the carpet we have, worn out wool, when we extend
and renovate. I've found some info on a flooring that I like the sound
of 'Novilon' from Forbo. I still like carpet for bedrooms and lounge
rooms, but I don't want carpet in my dining room!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old August 13th 05, 05:54 PM
Julia in MN

My sewing room had a hardwood floor when we moved in and I love it. The
floor under the built-in desk where I have my sewing machine was quite
scratched up when we moved in, and the floor really could use
refinishing, so I don't worry about scratching it. I do use my rolling
chair in the dining room when I am machine quilting a large quilt and
haven't noticed any scratches as a result. I don't think the rolling
chair is any harder on the floor than the regular dining room chairs. We
put hardwood in the living/dining room and hall 4 years ago, and this
summer we put it in the bedroom. It is easy to take care of and not too
cold underfoot (though we have a heated basement underneath us, and I'm
sure that helps).

If you like hardwood, you might also consider laminate flooring. It's
somewhat less expensive and could even be a do-it-yourself project.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 13th 05, 11:02 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you, everyone. It feels just fine, and Im still keeping an eye on
it just in case.
The carpet is still here tho.
Diana

Old August 13th 05, 11:05 PM
DrQuilter

ha, that is odd. I never find wooden floors cold, quite the opposite
actually..

Marcella Peek wrote:
I'm with Cheryl.

My sewing room is the basement. It is nicely finished and came with a
nice oak parquet floor. Blech. Why? I live south of San Francisco.
Not south enough to be warm like say, San Jose, but south enough to
catch the edges of the fog often enough. That wood floor was darn cold
for me the hater of shoes.

I got a nice low pile carpet. It's dense enough that pins lie on top of
the carpet if I drop them and don't fall into the depths to be found
only by bare feet and cause unladylike swearing.

It's dense enough that I have a rolling office chair that rolls just
fine on the carpet, to give you a rough idea.

It vaccums up in a jif so I can lay my newly sewn blocks out or my
quilts out for basting.

marcella

In article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

I always thought my first choice would be vinyl, but when I built my home
and made almost half the floor area one big room I got commercial low pile
wool blend carpet. I can hear the howls of idsbelief from here! But the
static built-up is nil, it wears extremely well, vacuums like a dream,
cleams easily with a machine I hire from the supermarket, feels good
unerfoot and looks great after years of very hard treatment by an enormous
number of visiting sewers.

If you want carpet don't be put off, but also stay away from anything with
too much synthetic content! You will have to pull every single thread off
it by hand - they cling!

A recent catalogue that got dropped in the mailbox offered a vac attachment
that fits any machine and has a head like one of those lint remover brushes.
I doubted, but it was so cheap I decided to try it out. I paid hundreds of
dollars for my vac, but this brush - worth only a few buck - is fabulous!

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 15th 05, 12:16 AM
DrQuilter

Aproximately... I mean, if you needed the backing for a quilt to be 6x8
feet for example you could use the floor as a guide..

Taria wrote:

the grout lines would mess up the measurements. Vinyl tiles
worked in the other house. I was younger with a better back then
though. Can get down to work with the mess but have a tough time
getting back up!
TAria

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 15th 05, 02:49 AM
DrQuilter

I think you are describing the blue carpet in our rental's living room?
We rent those shampooing things from the supermarket, it looks good for
a day or two, and then it gets all flat and matted again. I've asked
them to replace it but they wouldn't. So glad the new house has hardwood
or tile everywhere!

Diana Curtis wrote:
The key to your love affair with your carpet is due largely to its being
a natural fiber. When my parents moved us to Wisconsin we got the wool
oriental rugs that were in the house. They lasted thru dogs and kids and
even moved with us to the next house. I have one of the area rugs, it is
a minimum of 40 years old and still looks wonderful.
On the other hand in this trailer we live in they put acrylic plush
carpet in most of the rooms. The living room looks like it was beaten
with buzzard guts and drug thru hell backwards (catchy phrase, that). DH
tried to steam clean it for 4 hours, using every chemical in his arsenal
to remove the stains from koolaid and chocolate milk. (Meg learned to
drink from a cup shortly after we moved here) and the carpet looked
cleaner the next day. The day after that it lost its resolve and went
limp and filthy again. One day DH will come home from work and find bare
pressboard flooring here. And now, a tale which I warn you, may not be
for the squeamish. In fact I will put a squeamishness avoiding space he

Ok. If you scrolled down this far you dont squeam easily, or you failed
to take my warning seriously. Yesterday I sat on the floor sorting toys
and crayons so I could vacumm safely. When I knelt to get up I felt an
odd cramping pain in my leg. When I twisted round to see what was
causing such gut twisting sensations I saw what I thought was a piece of
wire protruding from my calf. When I grabbed it I realized that a needle
with thread in it had been driven quite deeply into the muscle and
possibly hit the bone. Its out now, it still aches. My tetnus shot is up
to date so now I will just keep my eye on it and hope it heals quickly.
I wont miss the carpet. Id rather have wood underfoot. Barefeet and all.
I hope I didnt squick anyone out to badly.
Diana

Polly Esther wrote:

My first employer had a rather picturesque expression that I'm not
sure is okay to use in polite company, but it was "beat with buzzard
guts and drug through Hell backwards". That pretty well describes
what out carpet has been through including hairballs, chainsaws and
creative toddlers. Our carpet is wool. It does not electrocute me in
the winter, it is kind to every step, old cold feet, and it always
looks nice. So, yes, Cheryl. When the carpet lovers of the world
unite, come hold my hand. Polly

"Cheryl" wrote in message

Carpet lovers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your
cold
feet.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 26th 05, 03:30 AM
ALZ

Did you do the work yourself? We did something similar,but alas, had
to pay someone to do it. Ripped out the stucco walls, the black
paneling and the gold, brown and orange shag carpeting and put up
plain walls and pergo flooring, along with recessed ceiling lights. I
don't have the whole room, but just a corner. There is an ugly red
brick fireplace that I am thinking of painting. Anyone have experience
with this?

Linda
PATCHogue,NY

On 10 Aug 2005 18:50:55 -0700, "Liz A." wrote:

Hi Mary,

I'm another barefoot quilter in Washington ! A couple years ago we
remodeled the downstairs family room and turned it into my sewing room.
Our house is split level and the windows are ground level. Because half
the walls are below ground, it is always cold down there. It was dark
with dark paneling on the lower half and dark, ugly carpet with a big
wood stove taking up way too much real estate. We pulled out the wood
stove, painted all the paneling and put down Pergo. I love the ease of
cleaning it. Just mop the dog hair and threads up. When I drop my dish
of pins like I tend to do on at least a weekly basis, they're a cinch
to pick up with the magnet. No more pins getting caught in the carpet.
I did put a runner on both sides of the cutting table so I don't slide
around when I've just got socks on. We also installed more than double
the lighting and big huge shelving units from Ikea that will have to be
disassembled if we ever move. Here are some very outdated pictures of
the before and mostly after. One of these days I should get motivated
and clean it up and take newer pictures......
http://home.comcast.net/~dittodog/

LizA.
Kent, WA