Flooring help needed

Old August 10th 05, 10:36 PM
Mary in Washington

Default Flooring help needed

Once again, I am calling your expertise and experience concerning the
floor for my sewing room. Without dishing the dirt on the previous
owner, I do wish that his bellybutton pops out, his legs fall off and
the house inspect have to carry him around. What we thought was going
to be a simple update turned into a 3-year construction party.

We have worked hard for 3 years to get this house up to standards. New
carpet, paint, hardwood, tile, moldings, fixtures, so on and so forth
has brought us to the outside paint which will happen next summer and
the floor in my sewing room. This is the space that I have always
coveted and have been thrilled with the set up. The carpet now is gold
shag right out of the 70's and other then a good cleaning before I
move in it has had nothing done to it. I am ashamed to say that I am
even afraid to vacuum in there because when I am in a project it gets
totally trashed. But I pick up and put everything back in order after
each project...but I am sure I miss some pins.

That being said, I am also a bare foot quilter. Can't stand
shoes!!!! In winter I will compromise with socks but that is it and
nice carpet would be nice.

Do I put hard wood, tile, carpet, and if so what kind. Please tell me
what you have and why you love, like or hate it.

My gratitude in advance.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Old August 10th 05, 11:06 PM
Betsy Ross

I'm for wood! Non-engineered wood would
be MY first choice. I purchased bamboo
flooring for my guest room. My QI loves
wood floors. Wide open spaces with wood
floors are perfect for playing mousie.
We frequently wake up to the sounds of
him thumping across the floor and
sliding into the wall. My sewing room
is in the basement so I have a concrete
floor under the cutting table and a rug
under the sewing machine.

Susan

Old August 10th 05, 11:13 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . com,
"Mary in Washington" wrote:

Do I put hard wood, tile, carpet, and if so what kind. Please tell me
what you have and why you love, like or hate it.

Mary, I have tile (not vinyl -- the ceramic stuff) in my sewing room and
was sure I was going to hate it. But I don't! It's really nice, because
I can scoot my rolling desk chair from computer to sewing machine or out
of the way when I need to use the iron. It's easy to keep clean (dust
mopping, damp mopping), and it's cool on my feet in the warm weather. I
thought it would be cold in the winter, but it's not. The only thing
that might be a consideration is that tile is hard on some people's
backs and legs, but so far I haven't had that problem.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 10th 05, 11:48 PM
Polly Esther

Oh boy, what a challenge. A barefooted quilter in Washington state? Golly.
I wonder if anyone here has tried the new version of cork. It's
supposedly finished so you can mop it but is also supposed to warm and
quiet. Lately, the decorators on tv have been going crazy about it but I'd
like to hear from some real people. Anybody here claim to be a "real
people". Naaah. Probably not. Polly

Old August 11th 05, 12:00 AM
Taria

This house has a lot of ceramic tile. I hate it. It is really light
with a shiny slick finish and I have found myself slipping too often.
If you go with tile get something with some texture to is so it isn't
so slick. The coolness is nice though. Standing at the kitchen is
murder on my back but to be fair sheet vinyl was too.
I, like Polly wonder about the cork. Looks wonderful but is it really
livable?
There was shag in the room I had as a teenager. Over 20 years later
when the carpet guys pulled it up they got stuck with my pins. That
stuff is unforgiving besides yucky to live with.
Let us know what you do and how it works.
Taria

Old August 11th 05, 12:15 AM
Bonnie NJ

I checked it out and thought I'd love it. But the cost was beyond my
pocketbook. When I looked into it, it was more expensive than hardwood
flooring. Maybe the price has dropped since then.

--
Bonnie
NJ
.net...

Old August 11th 05, 12:39 AM
Pauline O'Connell

Mary,
We just finished remodelling our kitchen & the family room, which is now my
sewing room. We put in the oversized ceramic tiles in & they do have
texture to them as someone mentioned would be a good idea. I didn't think
I'd like the tile, but I really do like it. I did put an area rug on the
floor, but it's not under my machine. I have two easy chairs in front of my
machine facing the tv, so the chairs sit on the rug. I'm really, really
happy with the tile. All the newer homes around here have tile floors,
which is where we got the idea. I think if we had put in hardwood, which we
did look at, I would worry more about wheeling my chair back & forth across
it - although, I know they are pretty resistant to scratches, but with the
tile, it's not a problem at all. Good luck with your decision - it's
tricky

Pauline
ups.com...

Old August 11th 05, 12:52 AM
nana2b

Hi Mary, In my present Sewing Room I have carpet. I have had to put those
acrylic floor pads down so I can roll around. Every little thread sticks
to the carpet and sometimes the vaccum balks at picking all of it up. In my
new house we did "real wood" in all the living areas. I am really looking
forward to having wood in the sewing room. Easy clean up too. I personally
wouldn't do ceramic tile because it is hard to stand on for long periods of
time (I have tile in all the living areas of our present home). JMHO, Linda

Old August 11th 05, 12:54 AM
Kate Dicey

Mary in Washington wrote:

[...]

Carpet in mine - and I hate it! I too am a barefoot sewist, and like my
warmth, but a nice wood block floor would be a treat! East to sweep
(poly bridal clippings REALLY stick to the carpet!), warm under foot (it
is, really!), and it feels good on bare toes! I'm working on it...
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 11th 05, 01:13 AM
CNYstitcher

Mary in Washington wrote:

[...]

Once we get a bit settled in the new house, the first thing we are doing
is ripping up the plum shag carpeting in the sewing room and installing
hardwood flooring. I plan on having area rugs, but when we go to
install the flooring, I'm going to have the kind that has the heat/sound
barrier already attached (at least that is the current plan). Since the
room will also be potential guest room, well, that is the reason for the
area rug(s). Of course, I also have to get a futon, plan storage/work
areas...but you didn't need help with that, did you??

Larisa