Market Opportunities for Stained Glass??

Old August 8th 05, 06:21 AM
Steve Ackman

On 6 Aug 2005 12:42:16 -0700, wrote:
(Quote) A view from the other side of the Atlantic:
Your government actively encouraged the export of technology
(glass-making) to China and sanctioned payment via contra-trade, ie
exporting of glass back to the US. (Unquote)

It's my understanding that if google users click
"show options" and then reply, the attribute is
inserted and quoted text is properly set off with
greater-than signs. Then all you have to do is snip
out the extraneous stuff. Might be easier than the way
you're doing it, and would certainly make it more
obvious who said what.
Old August 10th 05, 12:45 AM
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:06:21 -0400, "Javahut" wrote:

Unlike my blunt , top posting friend.....I believe everyone has a right to
earn a living doing whatever they want, the marketplace will sort it out.

Well giving the stuff away practically for free and not paying the
overheads on business premises is always a good start.

Then you can try hanging around commercial glass makers, stealing their
designs and bitching about "how much they overcharge".

Yes, it's great fun trying to compete with self-subsidising hobbyists!
Old August 10th 05, 01:23 AM
Javahut

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:06:21 -0400, "Javahut" wrote:

Unlike my blunt , top posting friend.....I believe everyone has a right

earn a living doing whatever they want, the marketplace will sort it out.

Well giving the stuff away practically for free and not paying the
overheads on business premises is always a good start.

Then you can try hanging around commercial glass makers, stealing their
designs and bitching about "how much they overcharge".

Yes, it's great fun trying to compete with self-subsidising hobbyists!

Well? OK, bad day? I thought this thread was dead? Nobody likes any of
that...

Old August 10th 05, 01:37 AM
Moonraker

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Yes, it's great fun trying to compete with self-subsidising hobbyists!

Reminds me of the stained glass studio owner who won the lottery. When
asked what he thought he'd do with all that money, her replied " Well, I
guess I'll just stay in the glass business until it's all gone."

Old August 10th 05, 01:41 AM

"Now, the junk manufacturers are some Chinese and definitely all
Korean"

How long until those cars are considered superior to the US made?

Better question! How long until the American people realize (or
accept) that the problem isn't that the Asians are underpaid, but that
Americans (and Canadian) are overpaid. While we're dicking about
building stuff by hand, the Chinese and Koreans (and Taiwanese, and
Indonesians) are using computer controlled robots. I sure hope you
don't believe all those lampshades are cut by hand do you? The
problem isn't that their labour rates are so much lower, it's that our
technology is so far behind.

Wanna piece of valuable investment advice? Short sell the stock in any
and all US automakers.

Old August 10th 05, 01:59 AM

Everything is changing, and change brings opportunity. I believe the
opportunities for business are greater today then ever before. The
problem for most people is they can't use history as an indicator of
what is likely to work today. Just because it worked yesterday, is no
reason to assume it'll work tomorrow. I think it might be exactly the
opposite. The untravelled path is where entrepreneurs will create the
most profitable ventures. The old roads are congested with dying
tavellers.

I'd guess that in 10 years, half (maybe more) of all the existing
stained glass retailers will be extinct - but they'll have been
replaced by an equal number of new ventures using a dramatically leaner
business plan.

Adapt or die!

Old August 10th 05, 01:59 AM
Moonraker

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Now, the junk manufacturers are some Chinese and definitely all
Korean"

How long until those cars are considered superior to the US made?

Get serious!!! have you ever DRIVEN a Kia? K-I-A...an acronym for
Korea's Imitation Automobile. Same argument was made back in the 60's
about the French, British, and Italian cars being superior. Yeah, right.
The POO-joe really made Detroit quiver. A large number of the marques in
Europe are now under US ownership. Jag and Land Rover owned by Ford, for
example. Daimler Chrysler sound familiar?

Better question! How long until the American people realize (or
accept) that the problem isn't that the Asians are underpaid, but that
Americans (and Canadian) are overpaid. While we're dicking about
building stuff by hand, the Chinese and Koreans (and Taiwanese, and
Indonesians) are using computer controlled robots. I sure hope you
don't believe all those lampshades are cut by hand do you? The
problem isn't that their labour rates are so much lower, it's that our
technology is so far behind.

Ummm...somehow I don't see the necessity to engineer robotics to make SG
lampshades. Sure, a certain amount will sell every month, but it isn't
like there is this huge market that is not satisfied by current production.
I can't imagine what a robot would cost that could foil pieces of a
lampshade. The ROI would be minisicule.

Those poor Asians just haven't heard about your "turbo soldering" technique
where you can do, what was it, 5 feet of beading in a minute or something?

Wanna piece of valuable investment advice? Short sell the stock in any
and all US automakers.

Yeah?....that piece of advice is about as valuable as some of your other
marketing ideas.

Old August 10th 05, 04:23 AM

I don't think the Asians are too concerned about how fast I solder - I
doubt very much they do it manually. However, there are lots of local
artisans interested enough to pay me to teach them how. Whether it's
classes at Las Vegas Glass Craft Expo or Victorian Glass Art Festival,
my Soldering Clinic classes always sell out.
http://www.glasscampus.com/VGAF/page...ringclinic.htm

Dennis Brady
http://glasscampus.com

Old August 10th 05, 04:36 AM

You now have Armstrong making all their glass in China, Houston Art
Glass importing from Dailan as "Gecko" glass, and several different
Chinese glass manufacturers aggressively promoting sales. In
containerload quanitites, a good quality art glass (very similar to
ring mottle) is available for .60/sf US.

Who's responsible for allowing it to happen is irrelevant. The Chinese
dominate international trade and will continue to for a very long time.
You can waste effort fighting and complaining about it, or you can
find ways to take advantage of it. The smartest thing the Chinese
government every did was let the US government "force" them into
floating their currency. The US is already severely dependant on cheap
Chinese imports. Now those imports will cost even more in the US - and
the US dollar will continue it's perpetual downward slide, allowing the
Bank of China to buy up US companies at bargain basement prices.