OT warning, bee in my bonnet

Old July 22nd 05, 08:36 AM
Listpig

IMO, the correct response is to call both the nurse and the doctor by their
first name. When the nurse corrects you (ok to call her "Sally", not ok to
call Doctor "Bill"), say "Since I don't know you and you called me Polly, I
just assumed we were ALL on a first name basis around here."

--pig

On 7/21/05 21:51, in article
et, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I am about to show you my worst side. Maybe not. Please just let me ask for
your feelings on a situation. You are in a doctor's office. You wait two
hours. You fill out a mountain of papers for information that could easily
have been obtained from the documents already on file. You are not feeling
very well.
Then this cutsey-poo person pops her head from the doorway where
patients who haven't managed to die of old age or aggravation in the waiting
room finally get to go sit in yet another room for an hour. The ultimate
insult: She yells, " Polly!"
If it's not a terrible burden, I like to be called Mrs. Esther by total
strangers. I am also okay with being addressed as Her Highness, Miss
America, 1917 and "Honey, where did you put the . . . ?"
Does this lazy familiarity gall anyone else with its rudeness? just
wondering. Polly

Old July 22nd 05, 08:57 AM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

As they tend to call for 'Catherine' (a name I have never answered to
unless in trouble at school!), they get ignored until someone calls for
me as Mrs Dicey. Then if I like the people at the clinic, I may invite
them to call me Kate...

I took his surname, and the RAC gave him my initials - we call it a fair
swap!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 22nd 05, 10:51 AM
Marijke

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

As a nurse, it drives me right around the bend when I hear some of my
colleagues refer to their patients by their first name without their
permission - especially when said patients are often twice their age.
And I'm not old!! I'm 44 but was raised to always call our elders by
their family names. I take this one step further to people who I do not
know and who have not granted me permission to call them by their first
name.

As a patient, I despise this because, my first name is not one I use and
if the name is called, I cringe. That name is not me, so when a nurse or
a doctor says to me, "So, Clementine, tell me...." I don't feel as if
they are speaking to me. Call me Mrs. XYZ, you don't call me Clementine.
If you knew me, you'd know why you never call me Clementine. I have
never used that name in my entire life." Sigh.

Marijke
(not Clementine!)
in more bearable Montreal
Old July 22nd 05, 11:37 AM
AliceW

The regulation is called HIPAA.

The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 (August 21),
Public Law 104-191, which amends the Internal Revenue Service Code of 1986.
Also known as the Kennedy-Kassebaum Act.

But I like to call it the "paperwork enhancement act".

When my daughter was in labor (just about a year ago now!), the baby in the
next room was born after a very "loud" and lengthy labor. We all felt
relieved for her when we finally heard the baby's cry. When I asked the
doctor if the family had a boy or girl, she said she was not allowed to say,
we needed to ask the family directly!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

"pewter" wrote in message
m...
: I'm new to this group, but I have to say that I noticed that the last time
: was at the clinic, they don't use last names to call the
patients...because
: of the "privacy act". So, since my name is fairly common, Pat, isn't it
: possible that there might be three or four with the same name jump up and
: charge towards the nurse? Some things are just plain silly.
:
: "maryd" wrote in message
: ...
: number one: I wouldn't have waited 2 hours. number two: I would have
: answered in just a loud voice, I'm Mrs. D. and prefer you call me that,
: honey. g
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
:
: "Polly Esther" wrote in message
: ink.net...
[...]
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 22nd 05, 12:23 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

absolutely!! It's right up there with honey, sweetie and other sweet
nothings and yet I am guilty of doing the same thing. I think it must be a
southern thing. I think it's because of my name - no one can pronounce it
correctly - so they call me sweetie or Hon. I learned early on as a social
worker that the professional relationship gets off to good start when you
treat the other party with respect and dignity. I always called my clients
by Mr. or Mrs. Last name. The Medical Assistant treated you as familiar and
that's offensive. I would have walked up to her - looked her directly in
the eye and said in a firm voice "Call me Mrs. ----, please." If she still
doesn't get the idea write a letter to her supervisor.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old July 22nd 05, 12:26 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Criminees! You can hear her scream during labor but not find out the gender
of the end result?

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

"pewter" wrote in message
m...
: I'm new to this group, but I have to say that I noticed that the last
time
: was at the clinic, they don't use last names to call the
patients...because
: of the "privacy act". So, since my name is fairly common, Pat, isn't it
: possible that there might be three or four with the same name jump up
and
: charge towards the nurse? Some things are just plain silly.
:
: ...

Old July 22nd 05, 12:31 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

It's the same with me. I have always went by my middle name and never use
my first name and barely recognize it. i always correct anyone who uses my
first name with "It's Willene..." A couple of times and they finally get it
right.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Marijke" wrote in message
.. .

Old July 22nd 05, 12:36 PM
Georg

Polly Esther wrote:
Does this lazy familiarity gall anyone else with its rudeness? just
wondering. Polly

I have solved this problem. My first name is very unusual and no one
expects to encounter it or what to do with it. My last name is
straightforward and easy to pronounce. I get called Mrs. H all the time.
Mainly because not many folks want to struggle over Georg-Karen. It's an
awkward mouthful. And they don't know if they are seeking a male or a
female most of the time, so they often just call out "H?"

So if you were to change your first name to Harry-Polly, you would
definitely be called Ester.

-georg
Old July 22nd 05, 01:27 PM
Carolyn McCarty

I have walked out of doctor's offices for being kept waiting. If I have a
9:00 appointment, I expect to see the doctor him/herself by 9:30. Or the
reception staff can tell me how late they are running and I can decide
whether or not to wait. The attempt to make the doctor's office sound
folksy and friendly by using your first name is just plain rude. Calling
you by using Mrs. or Ms. Esther, or even your full name Polly Esther, would
be preferable in a professional setting like a medical office.

Unless you have a personal acquaintance with cutesy-poo? Are you on a
first-name basis with her socially? In that case, it was just poor judgment
on her part.

When NWMC patients (including family and friends) come to the business
office for any reason, we address them formally unless they specifically
instruct us to do otherwise. My best friend would be addressed as Mrs.
Friend or Mr. Friend. I think that is suitable in a business environment.

IMNSHO

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green