OT warning, bee in my bonnet

Old July 28th 05, 06:05 AM
DrQuilter

haven't libraries refused to provide this information and gotten in
trouble because of it? heard it on NPR (source of most of my news...)

Polly Esther wrote:

I strongly suspect that Big Brother has access to the list of books you've
checked out. Now where's the privacy? I'm a little tempted to check out
War and Peace and maybe the Complete Works of somebody just to impress him.
Polly

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old July 28th 05, 10:49 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:03:57 -0700, DrQuilter
wrote:

Sure, you are right. I guess here in the US there are multiple ways of
doing everything, not only due to styles and personalities but also due
to the many cultural backgrounds. However, I think nobody back home
would call their in-laws mom and dad or any variation of it, but always
by their first name. Of course, we are like 60% Spanish and 40% Italian
or something like that, so not much variation. What couples do there
though, and always sounded funny to me, is call each other 'mami' and
'papi' like kids would do....

I'm always creeped out by folks who refer their partner as "Mom" or
"Dad". Erm, maybe the kids do that, but ....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 29th 05, 01:39 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I never called my MIL anything when talking to her. Calling her Mrs. XXX
seemed to formal and I didn't feel close enough to her to call her Mom and
calling her by her first name didn't seem right. I'm not one to say,
"'name', where is...." If someone is in the room and you are talking to
them, why bother using the name? When talking about her, I'd say, "Your
mother...." Or I'd say Emmy when telling my mom something about her. Now it
doesn't matter at all.

--
LN in NH (Who has been beading more than quilting in the last 2 years)

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
LOL - I always felt uncomfortable calling DH's mum by her first or Mrs
Lastname. When we'd been together for awhile it seemed easier to call her
mum and her dh dad. One day it just slipped out and it's been like that
ever since. Except for when we call them nan and pops (which is what the
DDs call them).

quicker)

"Mika" wrote in message
"A&T" wrote in message
nk.net...

I try always to call people Mr. or Mrs. until given permission to do

other
wise. I also listen carefully so I know if a person is a Diane or a
Diana.
Or Marie or Maria.

This reminds me of the first time I met my mother-in-law before DH and I

got
married. DH and I were both in our mid 30's so it's not like we were
young
ignorant punks who weren't taught to respect our elders. Anyway, she very
bruskly informed me that I could either call her Mom or Mrs. LASTNAME but
she had not given me permission to call her by her first name therefore

she
expected me to NOT call her by her first name. That was almost 15 years

ago
and to this day I have never called her by her first name. It has always
been Mom. If she is comfortable with me calling her Mom then I don't have

problem with it.

Mika

Old July 29th 05, 01:53 AM
maryd

Same here. It was much easier after we had kids and we could call the
in-laws grandma and grandpa. :-) Of all our kids-in-law, only one ever
called me mom and she's the one that dumped her marriage for an internet
affair and now our son has custody of the boys.

--
Mary

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
newsVeGe.13499$x32.9705@trndny09...
: I never called my MIL anything when talking to her. Calling her Mrs. XXX
: seemed to formal and I didn't feel close enough to her to call her Mom and
: calling her by her first name didn't seem right. I'm not one to say,
: "'name', where is...." If someone is in the room and you are talking to
: them, why bother using the name? When talking about her, I'd say, "Your
: mother...." Or I'd say Emmy when telling my mom something about her. Now
it
: doesn't matter at all.
:
: --
: LN in NH (Who has been beading more than quilting in the last 2 years)
:
: "Sharon Harper" wrote in message
: u...
: LOL - I always felt uncomfortable calling DH's mum by her first or Mrs
: Lastname. When we'd been together for awhile it seemed easier to call
her
: mum and her dh dad. One day it just slipped out and it's been like that
: ever since. Except for when we call them nan and pops (which is what
the
: DDs call them).
:
: --
: Sharon from Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
: http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes a while to load)
: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shazrules/my_photos (same as website but
: quicker)
:
: "Mika" wrote in message
: ...
: "A&T" wrote in message
: nk.net...
:
:
[...]
: a
: problem with it.
:
:
: Mika
:
:
:
:
:
:

Old July 29th 05, 12:25 PM
Bonnie NJ

That sounds like me. My MIL died before I got to know her. It was always
your Mother or no name mentioned. I married DH after knowing him only 6
weeks and then he joined the Army after 3 months of marriage. We moved to
Alabama and then Panama. When we were in Panama my MIL died. We just
celebrated our 40th anniversary and I'm a MIL (3 times for one son). I've
always told my DILs to call me whatever they was comfortable for them..

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old July 29th 05, 03:40 PM
Taria

My MIL was wonderful. I always called her by her first name.
DH called my folks by their first name too. I never once
in the 10 years I had a MIL got a complaint out of her. She
was not one to poke in to our business or be anything but
kind. The good ones sometimes go young. I wish my kids
could remember her more than in photos.