Semi-OT - forum censorship

Old April 5th 05, 10:32 PM
Moonraker

If you bead-makers INSIST on discussing this drivel, please remove
rec.crafts.glass from your headings!!!!

"Lara" wrote in message
I have to totally agree with you Kandice. I do not feel comfortable over

at
Art Glass Forum. I haven't been in a while, but the people that run that
seem very negative and just want to complain about WC and other sites.
Also, I think, the won't allow certain people from WC to post because they
are not allowed to post at WC because of inappropriate behavior in the

past.
It is all a mess. SIGH, OK, here I am complaining about the compalining,
I'm not much better.

I don't find ISGB elitist, but lately just super slow with very little
postings.

Lara

--

Check out my eBay auctions under user ID: lutrick
Or click on the link: http://snipurl.com/8fa3
"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
Thank you for pointing this out, Kalera - the WC situation has been
bothering me for some time - especially since they still actively ask

for
"donations" from the members to "keep the site going", because it's a
"valuable resource for artists" and it costs a lot to keep the site
operational (beg, beg, beg). That would be fine if they weren't selling
advertisements and vendor forums for profit, and censoring everyone's

posts
for "offending links". I think it's unethical to do both those things.
WC claims to be doing everyone a favor by being available. For Profit
websites aren't doing favors - they are in business to make money. That

in
and of itself is fine, as long as they don't masquerade as a community
service.
I don't like the censorship, and haven't for a long time, because it's
biased based on the whim of the moderation team. They keep telling us

that
they don't play favorites, but in fact, they do. Evidence of that is

pretty
clear, all over the Glass Art boards.
I wouldn't buy advertising there.
I still read the boards and post on a rare occasion, because like it or

not,
that is the place everyone goes to trade information. But I have to

tell
you - if the attitude of the guys who run Art Glass Forum were better, I
would be over there in a flash. But I find them to be almost as one

sided
as the people at WC. As a female beadmaker, I really have never felt

welcome
there. And ISGB is fine, but somewhat elitist, so I am almost afraid to
post there.
As it sits, I am somewhat dissatisfied with many of the forums out

there -
so maybe it's just me. LOL

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I have recently found out that Wetcanvas is actively censoring certain
links (to other forums) out of private messages between users... and
this really upsets me. I personally have made furthering accurate
information about lampworking one of my core values, and it breaks my
heart to see a popular company that actively seeks to "protect" its
customers from other sources of information. WC is now a for-profit
company, and profit has for some time gradually been rising over the
sharing of information as their primary goal.

I can't talk about this freely on WC, so I am talking about it freely
here, since I don't run the risk of censorship and this is a

completely
uninvolved place. I'm really, really upset about this; although I had
some time ago made the decision not to post any tutorials to WC (I am
not giving a profit-seeking company my hard work for free) and have

been
wavering on the decision of whether to advertise with them. Well, that
decision is made; my dollars go elsewhere. I spend over $2000/yr on
advertising and not a penny of it will go to them... meanwhile, I WILL
be contributing, financially and otherwise, to not-for-profit forums
like www.Artglassforum.com and www.ISGB.org, not to mention putting my
body and voice in places where I think I can make a difference, like
here.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

Old April 5th 05, 11:27 PM
Dawn >^..^

Kalera has the right to post her opinions on this or ANY public news group
as do you.
To post a counter-point is one thing, but your reply to her was clearly a
personal attack and totally uncalled for.
Perhaps you should exercise your own rights by simply not clicking on this
discussion and reading it, if it bothers you so.

--
Oh, boo hoo.

Geez. It's "their" website/forum. They can do what they want, including
making a friggin' profit, banning fools, and monitoring content!

One nice thing about the internet is that there is no shortage of domain
names and web servers. You don't like somebody's website or forum?

Start
yer own with yer own precious "core values", already. Let's see how long
YOU remain non-profit and altruistic.

You need to get a life if some forum has you "really, really upset".

It's
a simple solution: Just don't go there any more.

Old April 5th 05, 11:56 PM
Dawn >^..^

Thanks Kalera,
I appreciate this information as well as your opinions. Although I'm a
member of WC I do not post over there, but mainly because of time.
I agree with you that a private message between users should be just that.
Private. If they don't want their users to promote or share other resources
then they should remove the private messaging option from their forum,
rather than to violate their own policy as it suits them.

--
Dawn / Art Insomnia
~"WTF...do you smell hair burning?"~

Old April 6th 05, 02:06 AM
starlia

Kandice,

One thing from your post just floors me....that you said ISBG is fine,
but somewhat elitist. I feel the exact same way and that's one reason
I've never even bothered to subscribe although I feel if I stay in this
art it's valuable to do so.

I'm with Kalera on WC. For a while things have steadily gotten worse
although I think it's still a good site for sharing. I wouldn't
consider putting on any tutorials for free. If I want to do that then
I'll post it on my site and keep it there for free or charge as I see
fit. I sure wouldn't keep putting money in their pockets since they
are lined now by patrons and advertisers.

WC is for profit and they have so many stupid rules it's just a pain
considering what you can or can't say. That's why I've always felt so
free here. I'm not around much lately since my life if upside down but
hopefully it will get better soon.

Old April 6th 05, 04:03 AM

Kalera -- I have long resisted joining Wet-Canvas... the only time I
ever seemed to hear about it was when something "bad" was going on,
there was a dispute (including the no links thing.. which has been
going on a long time)... and people sniping at each other, bad
feelings, hurt feelings.
RARELY - someone would post about some "gem" of a great bead -- but
beyond that -- it did not call to me.

I agree - go with the "non-profits" - and leave the profit makers to
their own devices... I wouldn't give them a moment's satisfaction of
posting there anymore...

Old April 6th 05, 04:14 AM
Mike Firth

You know, moonraker, on rec.crafts.glass, we have learned to ignore your
brutish behavior - I usually just stop reading a thread once you come on.
Seems like a reasonable discussion to me. I wonder how many people just
skip out on rec.crafts.glass after encountering your "contributions"?

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

.. .

Old April 6th 05, 04:19 AM
Javahut

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
You know, moonraker, on rec.crafts.glass, we have learned to ignore your
brutish behavior - I usually just stop reading a thread once you come on.
Seems like a reasonable discussion to me. I wonder how many people just
skip out on rec.crafts.glass after encountering your "contributions"?

Who is "we" that has learned?

And I do the same thing when I read your self serving posts .. so your not
alone in your action, and it is up to us if we want to or not.

So what's your point?

Old April 6th 05, 08:27 AM
Charlie

I agree with you, personal messages should not be censored, but I haven't
yet experienced any of the censoring on the wearable arts board.

What I don't agree with, is the people who say you shouldn't go there
because it's a "for profit" organisation. The person who started the site
had a great idea. Somewhere for ALL artists to go. How cool is that? The
massive cost of the servers and the bandwidth and the sheer time it would
take to set up and programme those forums is serious money! I think it's
great that they sell advertising rather than just go bust and disappear. I
bet that the person running it doesn't make any decent amount of money from
that website. Every page anyone views on wet canvas costs someone money.
Why shouldn't they either charge the user or sell advertising to pay for
those costs? We also know the ridiculous costs of just keeping an artist
website running. Multiply that cost by thousands.

(Not an attack on Kalera, just fed up of people thinking that they should
get everything for free).

Charlie.

Old April 6th 05, 02:49 PM
Moonraker

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
You know, moonraker, on rec.crafts.glass, we have learned to ignore your
brutish behavior - I usually just stop reading a thread once you come on.
Seems like a reasonable discussion to me. I wonder how many people just
skip out on rec.crafts.glass after encountering your "contributions"?

You can kiss my ass.
How's that for brutish?