What do you like/don't you like about quilting?

Old January 28th 05, 07:21 AM
KathyB in West Oz

I am that partner love quilting and sewing and putting the binding on

hey maybe we could go into business LOL

--
Kathy B in West Oz

http://community.webshots.com/user/kazzxie51

""Pussywillow" Volfie" wrote in message
I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like looking at patterns and designs and dreaming up quilts.
I like finding, buying, washing, ironing, cutting the fabric.
I like cutting out stuff I can cut with a rotary cutter.
I like working with patterns and putting the pieces together for sewing.

I'm not so wild about the sewing part.

I like trimming the sewn pieces to make them square.
I like ironing them open.
I like pining those pieces together for the next stage.

Then I'm back to the sewing which I don't like so much.

Once the whole top is assembled, I've pretty much hit my "I like" limits.

I don't like sandwiching the layers together.
I don't like basting.
I don't like quilting although if someone does all the other steps for me,
will stipple my brains out -- the only quilting I love, love, LOVE to do.
I don't like putting on the binding.

I DO love looking at the finished quilt.

Now if I could just find a partner who likes doing the parts I hate, I
could
make a quilt about every other day or so.

Old January 28th 05, 08:11 AM
Kate Dicey

"Pussywillow" Volfie wrote:

I was piecing a block today and it occured to me that there are very
specific parts of building a quilt that I like and very specific parts I
don't like (or don't like as much).

I like looking at patterns and designs and dreaming up quilts.
I like finding, buying, washing, ironing, cutting the fabric.
I like cutting out stuff I can cut with a rotary cutter.
I like working with patterns and putting the pieces together for sewing.

I'm not so wild about the sewing part.

I like trimming the sewn pieces to make them square.
I like ironing them open.
I like pining those pieces together for the next stage.

Then I'm back to the sewing which I don't like so much.

Once the whole top is assembled, I've pretty much hit my "I like" limits.

I don't like sandwiching the layers together.
I don't like basting.
I don't like quilting although if someone does all the other steps for me, I
will stipple my brains out -- the only quilting I love, love, LOVE to do.
I don't like putting on the binding.

I DO love looking at the finished quilt.

Now if I could just find a partner who likes doing the parts I hate, I could
make a quilt about every other day or so.

I love all of it, but the best bit of all is seeing the finished quilt
wrapped round someone who needs it just at that moment.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 28th 05, 09:14 AM
Patti

Oh, Polly ...

In article , Polly
Esther writes
I love the honor of hugging a little guy who arrives at a shelter with
nothing to call his own, not even a Wal-Mart plastic sack with a change of
underwear. The quilts to the Linus folks, the little ones at the Lion's
House who were abandoned and the neonatal unit where, for a long time, they
are only known as the "baby with the chicken quilt" because it hurts too
much to think of that little bit of life as a person.
I love having the time, enough skill, the materials and the tools to
show love. Yes. I love it. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 28th 05, 09:30 AM
Pati Cook

I love fabric. Working with it. Enjoy all aspects of the quilting
process, although some much more than others. (Basting is a pain,
literally. Which is why I spray baste as much as possible. Takes less
time and less stress on the hands/fingers.)

I enjoy both hand and machine work. Love using a nice sharp rotary
cutter to cut out parts. But do get bored trimming a lot of parts to
size. (But the end result makes it so worth it. )

The actual quilting is my downfall because I don't think I do it well
enough. But I am persisting and trying to do more to be able to do it
better.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 28th 05, 10:34 AM
Sharon Harper

Ooooh yes I agree Kate - that is the best bit. But I also like the dreaming
up designs too.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old January 28th 05, 10:37 AM
Sharon Harper

I agree - Oh Polly. And it's true. Those quilts will stay with the babies
their whole lives and the story of them too. I remember when both my girls
were in NICU fighting for their lives (born at 27 weeks and 32 weeks) and I
remember looking at them and thinking "I can't love them because it will
hurt too much if I lose them". Didn't work - I still loved 'em to pieces.
Still do.

Old January 28th 05, 10:48 AM
Roberta Zollner

After quite a few years of experience, I now like it all. Except for
hand-stitching the binding. And ripping out mistakes.
Roberta in D

Old January 28th 05, 12:23 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Diana Curtis wrote:
I enjoy designing, and putting the last stitch in the binding. :-)
I like pressing bits and finding they went together acceptably well.
Diana

--

I only like piecing when the seams come out less than half a mile apart
- otherwise I get really upset...

Seriously, I procrastinate about the whole thing until the top is pieced
and Paul has held it up at least 6 foot in front of me (galloping horse
theory!) and I can see for myself that its really nice and that you
REALLY can't see the 'tiny' glitches or seams that don't meet quite as
well as they should... then I get a second wind and have to get it
basted, quilted by machine to stabilize it as soon as possible - then
into the big hoop it goes for hand-quilting!

And - I love sewing the binding on - you know that everything is done
except that, and can start to move onto the next project!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old January 28th 05, 12:44 PM
AliceW

I love looking for a pattern which will fit the purpose of the quilt, then
finding the fabrics to fit the pattern. I love the cutting and sewing. I
prefer to machine piece. I hate pinning and basting. Most of my larger
quilts are sent out for quilting - that eliminates the need for pinning and
basting, but I mainly do it because I don't machine quilt as well I would
like, so I leave it to the experts. My favorite part is the binding. I
love binding! If I could start a binding business, I'd do it in a
heartbeat!

But, my most favorite part of quilting is the all the friends I have met
since I started quilting - priceless!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us