Roll Call

Old January 4th 05, 06:42 PM

Default Roll Call

Hi, Newbies, and all you other BQ (beautiful quilters)! I'm Nancy
(Nancycog in MD) one of the oldies but goodies. Married 48 years to my
best friend, three DD's, four DGK's, no QI at the moment (miss my
Scottie Bonnie and German Shepherd Buddy like mad)! Been sewing since,
like Mickie, six years old, standing at Mom's Singer treadle, so it's
been sixty years (SIXTY YEARS!!???) I started as Secretary for our
concrete business, love to cook (created wedding cakes for ten years),
can do any redecorating thing, such as hang wallboard, wallpaper and
paint, do just about any crafty thing, but quilting is THE best. In the
past year, became Area Coordinator for ABC Quilts for Babies in Crisis
and it's my passion. My 'treadle computer' is WebTv, so cannot show
photos. Some BQ put some of my works up at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mickieswall/my_photos AND
http://www.picturetrail.com ADD lnw7. Enjoy! Happy Birthday, Georg!!
Nancycog in MD

Old January 5th 05, 01:57 AM
Debi Matlack

What a cool way to get to know everyone! Here goes:
I'm Debi, 39, married almost 1 whole year to David (6 years my junior, and
he complains about feeling old sometimes!;-). I have furchildren, Grizz, my
9 year old German Shepherd, Jamie (named for the main character in Diana
Gabaldon's series of books), a 6 year old orange long hair cat, and Ernie,
not quite a year old black and white shorthaired kitty with 22 toes total.
(After Ernie, I might be able to cope with a toddler, since he is constantly
into everything.). I've watched my mother sew and quilt my whole life, but
only decided I wanted to try it a couple of years ago. I've completed a
couple of lap quilts since then, most in the past year and consider myself
still very much a beginner. I hope to make David and I a cat-themed quilt
for our own bed this year. I figure between cat fabric,
cat patterns and the cat blocks I got in a swap a couple of years ago, I
have a good start!
--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old January 5th 05, 09:53 PM
gloworm

This is so much fun reading about everyone, so I'll jump in here with a
brief bio. Real name is Marilyn, but nickname is Gloworm. I live in
Dayton, Ohio with my DH of 6-1/2 years and four QI's -- two Lhasa Apsos
(Chewie and Cricket) and two catties (Cookie and Heidi). DH is
semi-retired, but works part-time for P&G as a marketing
somethingorother. I'm a paralegal in a law firm in downtown Dayton --
I'd love to be semi-retired also, but have to keep working due mainly
to the cost of health insurance. (I'm actually retired from a
corporation where I was laid off after 36 years, but still work full
time.) DH has four grown children and (at last count) 11
grandchildren. I have one grown son and one grandchild, Declan, who
will be one year old on January 11. I am leaving Friday for Longmont,
Colorado, to attend Declan's 1st birthday party.

I've been quilting for about five years now -- all by hand -- don't own
a machine and don't want one. I know I could be more prolific with a
machine, but I only quilt while watching TV, at work on my lunch hour,
or on our frequent trips in the summer. If I had to go to a machine to
do it, I probably wouldn't do it at all. I find the handwork very
relaxing (most of the time -- until I get a stupid knot at a strategic
moment!) Quilting project of the moment (finished Declan's quilt in
November) is working on the quilting of three UFO's. I like piecing so
much better and usually get bored with the quilting and want to start
something new. But, I've promised myself I won't do that this time
until these three are finished.

Last summer, I did an uncharacteristic thing and bought a pontoon boat
on a whim. DH has always had a sailboat, but I find that too much
WORK, so I bought my own boat. We had a great time on it last summer
and even the diehard sailor thinks it's a hoot.

I don't get to post much, but love reading the messages and learning
from you all. I've learned so much here, and I feel like I know many
of you as if we'd already met. Take care and happy quilting!
Gloworm in Dayton

Old January 5th 05, 11:30 PM
Sharon Harper

I'm at a loss - why didn't you call the other Lhasa "Crunchy" or the other
cattie "Milk" or "Cream"? Just a thought....like, I have nothing better to
do!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 02:45 PM
gloworm

Sharon, that should have had a spew warning. My coffee is now all over
the computer screen! Chewie and Crunchy, Cookie and Cream -- wish I'da
thought of it! Thanks for the morning smiley.

Gloworm in Dayton

Sharon Harper wrote:
I'm at a loss - why didn't you call the other Lhasa "Crunchy" or the

other
cattie "Milk" or "Cream"? Just a thought....like, I have nothing

better to
do!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shazrules/my_photos
**********************

oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 05:50 PM
Regina

Hi Marilyn! I'm Gina in Longmont, Colorado. I have relatives in Ohio.
You're heading to a cold snowy city. It's 10 degrees and expected to
"warm up" to 30 today. Friday it will be in the mid 30's, but the
roads should be good.

Here's my bio- I've been married to DH, Paul, for 8-1/2 years. We
have 2 dogs- a JRT named Flash and a wolf hybred named Naki . We live
outside the city on about 5 acres. We use to have some beef cows, but
are taking some time off from that hobby! I have 2 grown children. 1
daughter, Kelly, she lives near by and 1 son, David, who moved to
Chicago last year. I have 1 grandson, Clayton who will be 4 in 2
weeks. He's my daughter's son and I get to see him about once a month.
Between my daughter going back to school and working and my working ,
it's hard to get together. I work full time as an architectural
drafter. I'd love to retire to spend my days quilting!

I've been quilting for about 5 years. I have been working on a
"heirloom", hand quilted, quilt for Clayton for several years. I keep
thinking I'll have it done in time for his birthday. So far I moved
the delivery date 2 years and it looks like I'll be getting it to him
next year! LOL Other projects and hobbies keep it moving along slowly.
I'm currently working on a special memorial quilt. It's Ohio Star
blocks with Ohio Roses appliqued on top. I have a special fondness for
Ohio. My mom was born and raised in Piqua. It's in honor of her and
her 6 sisters that I am making this quilt. She and my dad would have
been celebrating their 55th anniversary today. They both passed away 9
years ago and I still miss them everyday. I work on different projects
depending on whether DH and I are traveling or if I need to make a gift
quilt, etc. I love almost all aspects of quilting and am learning alot
in this group. I do lots of hand work, too, but haven't tried piecing
by hand yet. I have so many ideas for quilts that I need to save that
for the machine so I can get them done. LOL I just bought a Janome
6500 on Ebay and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival, so I can try
machine quilting on it.

I don't post much, but I follow the disscusions closely. I think this
is a great group.
"Regina"

Old January 6th 05, 10:01 PM
Sharon Harper

Glad to help! Seemed obvious to me...

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under
quicker)
**********************

oups.com...

Sharon Harper wrote:
I'm at a loss - why didn't you call the other Lhasa "Crunchy" or the

other
cattie "Milk" or "Cream"? Just a thought....like, I have nothing

better to
do!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shazrules/my_photos
**********************

oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 01:35 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Wow. Lots of RCTQers in Longmont. There are a few others on here.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 02:15 AM
gloworm

Hi Gina. Do you know Teresa, also in Longmont. I heard from her by
e-mail. She said there are some good shops there. When I was in
Longmont for Thanksgiving, my son took me to a shop called (I think)
Thread Bear Quilting. It was in a newer looking strip mall near the
housing development my son lives in. I was a very nice shop and they
were getting ready to expand. A really nice, talkative husband and
sort of quiet wife own it. I had Googled some others before I went,
but I feel guilty asking DS and DDIL to cart me around to them all. I
feel lucky when I get to go to one of them. I'm usually only there for
3-4 days. I'll try to sneak in another shop on this trip. Let me know
if you have been to this shop.

Gotta run -- lots of packing to do. We have to leave the house at 5:00
AM and my fav TV show (CSI) has a new episode that starts in about 40
minutes! Thanks for posting. We should try to get together some time.
I asked Teresa to give her phone number and maybe we can all get
together. If you get this soon, e-mail me your phone number.

Love, Gloworm in Dayton

Roll Call! frood Quilting 318 February 2nd 05 03:38 PM
Roll call Cindy Schmidt Quilting 0 January 4th 05 05:46 PM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM
ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap Melissa in NJ Quilting 25 November 4th 03 05:02 PM
Fort Washington Show roll call AliceW Quilting 8 September 19th 03 11:55 PM