You'll never believe this

Old September 13th 04, 11:19 AM
nzl*

and what, pray tell, is wrong with chartreuse aka lime, orange and shall we
say, hmmmm how bout fuchsia, just to keep the colours all in a lovely combo.

ok, then those on black will really POP!!!
jeanne
spewing at the thot of premade blocks tho and i'm american too, jess
now look at what else THWLTH has to answer for, new debates over the
virture of whats a booooootiful colour and why its always americans that get
the wrong end of the stick, considering every country i've travelled to or
lived in has equally silly things going on there, snort
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"georg" wrote...
CNYstitcher wrote:

Was in JoAnns a few days ago just looking, wasting time...testing out
the new glasses (definite difference, but NO headaches!!) and I saw the
most disgusting thing they could ever put in front of a
quilter......pre-pieced quilt blocks!! Yep, the entire block put
together already, about $5 per block. All you need to do is buy however
many you need for your desired size, stitche them together into
rows/columns and add the batting/backing

I saw these too, and I all could do was gag about the ugliness of the
garish fabric choices.

And they weren't even pink or floral. They were chartreuse, orange and
other colors.

-georg

Old September 13th 04, 02:00 PM
CNYstitcher

pbbbbbbbbbbt! In all honsety, I didn't see them as a way to get
children interested in sewing/quilting. What I saw were extremely
garish fabrics thrown together and packaged together for $5 a pop.....

Ellison wrote:
Howdy!
Thank you, Pat. Good point(s). g
Another choice from the "Quilter Friendly" side.
To each her own, there's a butt to fit every saddle,
& the Quilting Snobs need not apply. VBG

Ragmop/Sandy
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message

That is not my cup of tea, but it will probably appeal to a variety of
people. Buying commercially made patchwork blocks.... hmm? Is it really
any different than piecing your own top and then paying to have it
commercially quilted? I think not. Either way, I would not feel it was
'completely' my quilt. I do not fault anyone who wants to work that way
though. To each her own!
PAT, who is too frugal to do either any how!

CNYstitcher wrote:

Was in JoAnns a few days ago just looking, wasting time...testing out the
new glasses (definite difference, but NO headaches!!) and I saw the most
disgusting thing they could ever put in front of a
quilter......pre-pieced quilt blocks!! Yep, the entire block put
together already, about $5 per block. All you need to do is buy however
many you need for your desired size, stitche them together into
rows/columns and add the batting/backing

I was glad, however to notice I wasn't the only one disgusted...a lady
and her daughter were in the store looking for fabric for a halloween
costume, and when Mom saw them, she loudly said, "You've got to be
kidding me!!"

...cut...

Old September 13th 04, 02:13 PM
Susan Laity Price

When I was publishing regularly in the craft industry it got to the
point where the industry thought the American public wanted a craft
80% finished before they started. In other words, the American just
wanted to glue a few ready made pieces together and call it their
creation. That just wasn't my style and I have moved on to other
occupations.

I have always said that there are three different types of quilters.
This newsgroup is mainly the traditional quilter. We like to
experiment with different styles but we do mostly usable quilts. There
are the art quilters who make things only to be hung on the wall. They
don't factor in that the finished piece will ever be laundered. They
just nip and tuck and put the thing together without the aid of any
math. The final group is what I call the craft quilter. They haven't
much faith in their own creativity. They duplicate exactly someone
else's creation. They often make several of the same design because
once they figure out how to make it they assume everyone they know
will want one. They are drawn to straight forward colors and designs.

There is a place for all of these groups but we must protect the value
of the traditional quilt. We don't want future generations to think
the project made by the craft quilter is the same as a traditional
quilt.

Susan

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:28:59 GMT, CNYstitcher
wrote:

Was in JoAnns a few days ago just looking, wasting time...testing out
the new glasses (definite difference, but NO headaches!!) and I saw the
most disgusting thing they could ever put in front of a
quilter......pre-pieced quilt blocks!! Yep, the entire block put
together already, about $5 per block. All you need to do is buy however
many you need for your desired size, stitche them together into
rows/columns and add the batting/backing

I was glad, however to notice I wasn't the only one disgusted...a lady
and her daughter were in the store looking for fabric for a halloween
costume, and when Mom saw them, she loudly said, "You've got to be
kidding me!!"

Argh!!

Well, maybe this is the way to get my Mother into quilting...who knows?
Mom2, on the other hand, is taking the plunge and
cutting/piecing/birthing her very first quilt as they stay safe in NC
while the hurricanes swamp their area of Florida

Larisa, disgusted, totally disgusted

Old September 13th 04, 02:22 PM
CNYstitcher

Susan Laity Price wrote:
gently snipped
I have always said that there are three different types of quilters.
This newsgroup is mainly the traditional quilter. We like to
experiment with different styles but we do mostly usable quilts. There
are the art quilters who make things only to be hung on the wall. They
don't factor in that the finished piece will ever be laundered. They
just nip and tuck and put the thing together without the aid of any
math. The final group is what I call the craft quilter. They haven't
much faith in their own creativity. They duplicate exactly someone
else's creation. They often make several of the same design because
once they figure out how to make it they assume everyone they know
will want one. They are drawn to straight forward colors and designs.

Susan, this paragraph made me laugh quite a bit. I think I probably
started out as a craft quilter, but have gone on to be a traditional
quilter. When I first started, I was more comfortable following
directions exactly. Now, I tend to toss them out the window and
experiment. I honestly wish my quilting teacher could read
this....every single quilt she has dropped off for me to finish has been
a Log Cabin...nothing wrong with the block, but with all of the ones she
has dropped off, I know I will NEVER do this block unless it is
specifically asked for!

Larisa

Old September 13th 04, 02:22 PM
georg

nzl* wrote:

and what, pray tell, is wrong with chartreuse aka lime, orange and shall we
say, hmmmm how bout fuchsia, just to keep the colours all in a lovely combo.

ok, then those on black will really POP!!!

I don't mind those colors if they are done to my taste.

Those weren't.

-georg

Old September 13th 04, 04:36 PM
DrQuilter

but if you don't choose the fabrics at all it is quite different. I have
not seen these kits, but do they come in a variety of fabrics? and are
they well made?

CNYstitcher wrote:

Was in JoAnns a few days ago just looking, wasting time...testing out
the new glasses (definite difference, but NO headaches!!) and I saw
the most disgusting thing they could ever put in front of a
quilter......pre-pieced quilt blocks!! Yep, the entire block put
together already, about $5 per block. All you need to do is buy
however many you need for your desired size, stitche them together
into rows/columns and add the batting/backing

I was glad, however to notice I wasn't the only one disgusted...a
lady and her daughter were in the store looking for fabric for a
halloween costume, and when Mom saw them, she loudly said, "You've
got to be kidding me!!"

...cut...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old September 13th 04, 04:38 PM
DrQuilter

along the same lines. I saw a kit in one of the sewing/quilting
catalogues where they gave you a premade, non stuffed animal, and all
you had to do to feel crafty was to stuff it and close the gap. I also
fail to see the point in that.... where is the creativity, which I see
as our driving force in all of this?

Old September 13th 04, 05:56 PM
Pat in Virginia

Well Marissa, to carry my analogy further, I'll point out that
many piecers/apppliquers send their tops out to professional HQ
or MQ. They often just say "Do what you think is nice." That is
no different than using someone else's blocks. Not bad, not good,
just a different way of working.
PAT ... who has not seen any of these to judge the color/quality

Old September 13th 04, 06:02 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

I think this might produce a more "real looking" quilt than a
pre-printed panel does. So perhaps the company figured they could
market the pre-pieced blocks to those who like those panels.

Pre-cut kits have been around what, since the '30's? I had never heard
until recently that someone who used a kit wasn't really making their
own quilt. I think some quilters are getting a bit "purist" about it
all. Are we going to have to start growing our own cotton and weaving
our own cloth before we can really call it our own quilt? ;-)

marcella

Old September 13th 04, 06:38 PM
Pat in Virginia

Yes, Marcella, kits have been around since at least the thirties.
When I think of a kit I think of a set of fabric packaged with
pattern and instructions. Sometimes the individual shapes are
cut, sometimes they are not. We aren't talking about those kits
here. What is under discussion here are blocks that are
commercially sewn and sold at Joanne's.

Your remark about some people being a bit of a purist is perhaps
a tad strong as response to *my* statement. I specifically stated
that *I* would not care to do *my* quilts that way, but do not
fault anyone who does.

PAT in VA/USA