Scientific Experiment (long), not OT

Old May 19th 04, 12:55 AM
hfw

But...but...but...isn't that heresy??!?

"nana2b" wrote in message

The best for me is not to pre-wash.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old May 19th 04, 12:57 AM
Diana Curtis

What i dont understand is why spaghetti gains weight when placed in hot
water but we dont?
Diana

"Shona in NZ" wrote in message
Oh, we understand Polly. I, for one, can hardly wait to hear the results

of
your's, Sherry's and Sharon's experimental outcomes :-)

Shona who has never thought about how much weight spaghetti gains during

the
cooking process in NZ

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...
Sorry. I can't help you with this scientific experiment. I am far too

busy
counting spaghetti strands with Sherry and Sharon. We have our

priorities,
you know. Polly

"Becky" bbkelher@remove spamaculink.net wrote in message
I think you are not being able to tell a lot of diffenerce between

clipping
and not clipping because you are dealing with FQs, not "whole"

yardage.
So
in essence you have 3 raw edges on each piece rather than two as you

would
on yardage. On yardage, each clip would include one selvedge edge and

one
raw cut edge; not so on the fats.

Becky

wrote in message
Before someone else says it, yes, I did have too much time on my

hands
today!

I am a dedicated pre-washer and have been interested in the threads
about clipping corners to keep fabric from raveling (unraveling?) in

the
wash. Today I acquired 22 FQs and decided to make an experiment out

of
the washing process.

Thesis: clipping the corners of fabric pieces will prevent horrible
thread nests after washing.

Methodology: I clipped the corners on half of the FQs and left the
others whole. Where there were duplicates of fabrics (6 instances,

12
pieces in all) one of the pair was clipped and one left whole. Three

of
the unclipped FQs had arrived with edges cut with pinking shears.

All
FQs were washed at the same time (cold wash/cold rinse, with a Color
Catcher) so that water level and detergent amount would be the same.

All
were dried, in the same load, for 20 minutes until mostly dry but

not
"hot".

Results: Of 22 FQs, 8 raveled badly (defined as thread nest

attaching
several pieces of fabric together and in two cases winding the

fabric
into a knot); 4 raveled to some extent; 10 did not ravel at all.

Of the badly raveled FQs, 4 had been clipped. Two of those had

"twins"
that had been left unclipped. In neither case was the unclipped

piece
more raveled than the clipped one. Of the three "pinked" FQs, one

was
among the 4 that had raveled to some extent.

Conclusion: Clipping, in my laundry room anyway, does not seem to
significantly reduce the amount of edge raveling of FQs in the

washer
and/or dryer. "Pinking" the edges may cause some slight reduction in
raveling.

Secondary observation: Weight of fabric did not seem to have
significance. The 6 pieces that were noticeably heavier were evenly
split between ravel and non-ravel. Of the 5 "Debbie Mumm" fabrics, 2
raveled badly and the other 3 not at all.

Suggestion for further study: Thread count may have some relevance,

with
higher count fabrics raveling less. Next time I get a large enough

batch
of FQs, I will attempt another experiment.

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." --

Sheryl
Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

remove NOSPAM to reply

Old May 19th 04, 01:14 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:13:16 +1200, "Shona in NZ"
wrote:

Hey Jo,

I conduct scientific experiments almost daily, do I get chocolate? Dark
please :-)

Shona who works in science and thought she might practice a little begging
in NZ

Let me put in a qualifying adjective: if you conduct
"quilty/patchwork" experiments. Now, do you do that in your lab? If
so, the chocolate will be forthcoming. I hope you like the Russian
stuff.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old May 19th 04, 02:14 AM
Pati Cook

For long pieces, such as for quilt backs and such, try opening the fabric and
fan folding it in 18-20 inch "pleats". Then safety pin the selvedges together
before putting it in the washer. This really helps keep the length from
twisting and such.

Pati, in Phx.

Shirley Ellen wrote:

I only dry very large pieces of fabric in the dryer. Anything a yard or less
I hang to almost dry and then iron dry the rest of the way. For FQ's I don't
even bother to hang.. they dry fairly quickly using a dry iron on the cotton
setting.

I did find on a piece of fabric that was 4 yards that if I did a large clip
on the corners it helped. That wouldn't be a good idea on a FQ though cause
you'd lose a significant amount of the piece.

Shirley

--
My Quilt Site
http://ca.geocities.com/meadow1951/index.html

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old May 19th 04, 02:18 AM
frood

I saw this tip in a recent magazine - I think it was QNM - and gave it a
try. It really worked! No twisting or bunching at all, plus it dried in the
dryer first time through. Usually, I have to untwist the entire length and
put in the dryer again.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old May 19th 04, 03:00 AM
Shona in NZ

Hmmm, wellll, ummmm, I do factoral designed experiments outside that
sometimes look like a natural patchwork. And if I am (un)lucky a cow will
'embellish' my patchwork snorfle

Shona who has never had the Russian stuff in NZ

Old May 19th 04, 08:10 AM
Patti

That's a great idea!
Thanks Pati. It's the 'auto pleating and twisting that bothers me most
about fabric washing. Some of those creases just never seem to come
out.
..
In article , Pati Cook
writes
For long pieces, such as for quilt backs and such, try opening the fabric and
fan folding it in 18-20 inch "pleats". Then safety pin the selvedges together
before putting it in the washer. This really helps keep the length from
twisting and such.

Pati, in Phx.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 19th 04, 08:15 AM
Patti

What I want to know - when you have finishing experimenting of course -
is whether, if you leave the cooked spaghetti on a plate to dry again,
it goes back to its original dry weight?
..
In article , Shona in NZ
writes
Oh, we understand Polly. I, for one, can hardly wait to hear the results of
your's, Sherry's and Sharon's experimental outcomes :-)

Shona who has never thought about how much weight spaghetti gains during the
cooking process in NZ

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sorry. I can't help you with this scientific experiment. I am far too busy
counting spaghetti strands with Sherry and Sharon. We have our priorities,
you know. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

DMC vs. Anchor experiment Laury Walkey Needlework 17 March 13th 04 02:24 AM
Hi, all! (long) Susanne Quilting 6 August 21st 03 01:04 PM
Long. Sewing blocks to each other Polly Esther Quilting 12 July 22nd 03 05:06 PM