[OT] HELP!

Old March 20th 04, 05:36 AM
melinda

Default [OT] HELP!

It seems I'm being trageted by Spammers pushing Human Growth
Hormones. I WANT THIS TO STOP! How do I do something about it?

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old March 20th 04, 05:55 AM
nzl*

first check your isp to see if they have free spam delete thingy working.
i had to ask for it to be set on my email acct.

when i started going from a few spams a day to over 300 a day all in the
space of a couple of days, after a week i was going bonkers and not very
quietly either i might add.
i changed my email addy (my isp lets us use up to five email addys, luckily
i had stuck with the one for 4.5yrs) and am now extra careful where i use
it.
i also use mailwasher.
www.mailwasher.net
with mailwasher i can preview and either bounce or delete after i see who
they're from. i was bouncing a lot and then realized it was pointless as so
many spammers use bogus return addys and the bounce comes back to me as
undeliverable. arghhhh. now i just delete, delete, delete. so few now.

have you recently subscribed to something online that is outside the norm?
some places sell their addy list. anything i'm unsure of i use the yahoo
addy. then if it is spam i just hit the yahoo spam button and let them deal
with it.
so far so good.
sorry, not much help but the best i could think of.
i hope someone here has some better info for you.
hugz from across the ditch,
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"melinda" wrote...

Old March 20th 04, 09:47 AM
Pete 'n' Trish

I got cranky one day and replied to a persistant penis enlarging one. Well I
got 300 in return. So I know replying doesnt work. Good luck trish in
Sydney

Old March 20th 04, 10:36 AM
Sharon Harper

Are you using Optus Mel? If so, I know they have a spam thingy that you can
set because DH did mine. We also use Outlook Express and the spam doesn't
even come through to OE - Although I can check it using Webmail in case some
regular emails accidently get caught. Also I set up message rules to look
for any funny words which works a treat. I send those straight to my
deleted box so that I can still check them if I want to. I've gone from
about 100 a day to 2.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old March 20th 04, 10:45 AM
Roberta Zollner

Go to your server's website and see if they offer better filters. Mine will
sort all incoming mail into folders: "suspected virus" (these I just dump
without looking), spam (based on their criteria), and "unknown sender". If I
want to accept a particular person's emails automatically, I must enter the
address in a file of "accepted addresses". If some spam slips through to the
"unknown sender" file, I just tell the server it's spam and it will never
happen again.
I skim through the spam, because sometimes friends send out mail to lots of
addresses at once, which is one of the spam criteria. But mostly everything
gets put in the right folder and takes only a second to delete. Then I read
the mail I want on OE.
Roberta in D

Old March 20th 04, 01:08 PM
AliceW

I installed a spam filtering program called "Qurb" which has worked 100%
from the day I installed it. No extra screens or windows to go to, it works
right on my OE window. There is a trial version but you do eventually have
to purchase it. From my perspective, you get what you pay for and this
program is priceless! www.qurb.com is the site for additional info. NAYY
just a very satisfied customer.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"melinda" wrote in message
: It seems I'm being trageted by Spammers pushing Human Growth
: Hormones. I WANT THIS TO STOP! How do I do something about it?
:
: --
: Melinda
: http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old March 20th 04, 02:52 PM
Nurse Ratched

I skim through the spam, because sometimes friends send out mail to lots of
addresses at once,

I find that stuff like this from friends also mostly qualifies as spam. If
it starts with "Fwd", I almost always delete it without even opening it.

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
If I ever need religion, I'll worship chocolate cake.
Old March 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Diana Curtis

You could always order some of the hormone, get much, much bigger than them,
and go beat them up.
Or, hit the delete key.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old March 20th 04, 04:14 PM
Julia Altshuler

I make a game of it. I give myself a point for each spam message I
delete without reading and subtract a point for each one I miss and open
before realizing it is spam.

Some are easy. If the subject line reads "perspective Carribean elegy
doughnut," and I've never heard of the sender, I know to delete that
right away. Likewise for "VI*agr!a" and "$$$loseweight now." Some are
harder. I might be tempted to open something that says "blast from the
past" sent by a name that looks familiar. It could be spam, but it
could be some old friend I haven't heard from in 20 years wondering if
I'm the person she remembers. So I open it and give myself a dope slap
if it there's an offer to enlarge my penis inside. I total up at the
end of the day. I always win. I get 15-30 spam messages a day and only
open one every now and then.

--Lia

Old March 20th 04, 06:40 PM
Dr. Quilter

how about that rambling fascist piece from the self proclaimed second
coming of christ, ted jesus christ god anybody got that? he claims it's
illegal to block his messages! you'd think if you are omnipotent you
should be able to control isps!

PS: I just delete and try to train my browser..

Some are easy. If the subject line reads "perspective Carribean elegy
doughnut," and I've never heard of the sender, I know to delete that
right away. Likewise for "VI*agr!a" and "$$$loseweight now." Some are
harder.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens