Making quilts for relatives

Old February 4th 04, 07:35 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Not quite the same, but...

Yonks ago I did a lot of cross-stitch cards and small framed pieces
for my work colleagues, "because I wanted to".

I worked on them whenever I wanted, sometimes late into the night, or
first thing in the morning whilst munching breakfast, just because I
wanted to.

Then they started asking me for "a card for my Aunt's birthday" or
some such, and it got to the point when it became a serious chore.

I stopped doing them real soon after I came to the realisation that I
was no longer enjoying cross-stitch - and haven't touched cross-stitch
since!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK
Old February 4th 04, 07:48 PM
Diana Curtis

I have a saying. Some things we do for Love, some things we do for money.
Some people can do what they love for money, but for most of us it turns
what is a labor of love into a job. Who needs more work?
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old February 4th 04, 08:10 PM
Marijke

Wow, I guess I'm lucky!

With the exception of being presented with two quilt kits and a request to
make the quilts for one SIL, I've never been in a position where someone has
asked me to make a quilt.

I've made several for family members and for friends but never on a request
because they just haven't.

I have also read here that some people will tell their recipient that
they're going to make a quilt, but that they will be making the decisions re
patterns and colours. I'm not criticizing them, but I wonder why they get
upset if the recipient asks for different colours or different patterns? I
just don't tell them I'm making a quilt for two reasons. First, so that I
can decide what I'm making and how and second, because if for some reason
the quilt doesn't work, I can't finish it, whatever - no-one is
disappointed.

That's what's fun about quilting.... we all choose our own way of doing
things!
Marijke
in Montreal

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA

Old February 4th 04, 08:23 PM
dogmom

Pat, thanks for posting this--great discussion! I recently turned down a
charity that I'd made a quilt for 3 times--at my own initiative, I must
add--but by now they and I both expected me to do it. And it felt great to
say No. I did because I don't enjoy sewing against deadlines and it would
have felt like a chore instead of a treat. Also, when they get $100 for it,
just like everyone else has said, it's not worth it at all. I say Stick to
your Guns. If Wal-Mart's too cheap for them, send them to LL Bean or some
other place that won't feel so "cheap." I've made 2 quilts and one WUH on
commission. The WUH was fine--a good friend said she wanted something for
her foyer, in blue and green (one of my very favorite combinations), about
40" square. The rest she left to me. I did a Strips that Sizzle which I'd
always wanted to try. She paid me $75 and I felt fine about it. But the
other two--it was good to prove I made something people would pay me for,
but I'll never do it again. Absolutely not worth it.

Dogmom

Old February 4th 04, 09:32 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I already have a Mercedes; it lives next to the Cruiser. G

Taria--I heard that!!! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy---wondering what Pat's doing ...
"Piglet" wrote in message
The correct answer:

"Yep, and if you were a real friend, you'd buy me a Mercedes. Guess we'll
have to settle for being unreal friends, huh?"

Lol

--pig

On 2/4/04 7:35 AM, ekoluvr opined:

I have a friend who keps
telling me that if I was a *real* friend I would make her a DWR quilt!

Old February 4th 04, 09:56 PM
Kathy

I have a DEAR friend Joan (like a mom/friend) whom I met while going
to nursing school many many moons ago. Well, Joan (who is old enough
to be my mother) has gone through the deaths of 2 of her own adult
children and then a most recent death of her grandson (age 21 and one
of our Military) whom Joan raised since he was a baby when his mom
(Joan's daughter died.) Though we are many many miles apart we still
stay in touch after all these years and I could not help myself (even
as a beginner quilter) but to offer Joan a Memory quilt in honor of
her deceased son, daughter and now grandson. I have not yet started as
Joan is in the process of collecting what she wants included in the
quilt (60x60) and because of my health issues all fabric must be
fragrance free.

I feel blessed to be able to do something for my dear friend who is
indeed suffering from her losses.

Lovingly,
Kathy (in Alaska)

Old February 4th 04, 10:08 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Pat,

There is a quilt shop/fabric store in Dayton, VA, also known as "my
personal LQS" that has quilts for sale, they aren't cheap. There is
also the Dayton Farmers Market which has a quilt shop (as in sells
quilts). The QS used to be known as the Clothes Line, and is now known
as the Quilt Patch.

These stores are on State Route 28 SE of Harrisonburg, home of James
Madison University. We're over here on the western side of Virginia.
Not to be confused with West Virginia.

I've mentioned my LQS in the past as most of their sales ladies are
Mennonites, and the quilts that they are selling on consignment are
from the local Mennonite community.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old February 4th 04, 10:16 PM
Monique Reed

If you are asked to make something for someone and you really don't
want to, tell them you'll have it finished by Easter, but that you
absolutely cannot promise *which year.* That usually gets a smile and
gets the point across that you can't just whip one out.

Monique
Old February 4th 04, 10:33 PM
BDS2pds

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com

has quilt prices made by hand.
Old February 4th 04, 10:40 PM
Lisa Ellis

No one has every asked me to make them a quilt. I think they know I
would say no to a direct request...

My friends and family are much more subtle...They tend to ask, with a
dreamy look in their eyes, "what do you do with the quilts you make?"

lisae

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
Rag Quilts with Binding JoyceG in WA Quilting 3 October 25th 03 02:34 AM
what to do with quilts DebsPrintOnIt Quilting 39 October 15th 03 04:19 PM
What is the biggest question you have about Antique Quilts? Kristi Kendall Quilting 6 October 13th 03 05:44 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM