Need to introduce myself

Old January 10th 04, 12:44 PM
Queen of Squishies

Dear Cabn,
Thanks for sharing! Of course we would like to see pictures, and to
keep up any kind of discussions you want. We got plenty of room for you and
your guy here at the frame!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old January 10th 04, 02:00 PM
Jan Dunaway

Cabn, thanks for introducing and sharing with us about your little guy!
How much fun to have a buddy in house! :-) He sounds wonderful. And
so do you. Welcome!

Jan

Old January 10th 04, 02:46 PM
The Brown Family

Hi Cabn, it's nice to meet you. Your son sounds like quite a special little
guy. It's wonderful that he has found an interest in quilting and using it
for a wonderful cause. Here are a couple of links that show many, many
quilt block.....
www.quilterscache.com and www.blockcentral.com are 2 good ones that I
frequently visit. Hope you'll get some inspiration from them. You sound
like a wonderful mom and it's great that you are really looking out for his
interests.

Lorraine
http://members.rogers.com/poodiac/lorrainesworld.htm

"CabnNThWoods" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile and finally asked a couple of

questions in
the past few days. Thank you all for being so kind and friendly. I

wanted to
introduce myself, and explain my odd quilting questions.

I kind of got into quilting by accident. My little guy is 13 and

has
autism. To put it in a nutshell (not going to generalize people who have
autism, just trying to explain our particular situation) he has an

incredible
gift with color and design. In his particular case, he has done some

amazing
artwork ( which has been printed in a design contest and made into

greeting
cards and postcards), but it hasn't engaged him. He is fully included in
school, and learned how to sew a little over a year ago.

Fabric fascinates him. The color, the textures, the infinite
combinations. He is totally engaged (and those who have kids who have dis

will
understand this) with the total tactile experience of creating with

fabric. He
decided that he wanted to quilt, so we learned together (I'm a

medium-grade
sewer).

We started with ragged-edge quilts. Made a beautiful bunch for family

and
friends for xmas presents. Have pics if anyone is interested.

About 6-7 months ago, and I'm really not sure where he saw this/what

program
he was watching, but it was a program about the homeless. He started

worrying
about all the people who didn't have beds or "moms and dads to tuck them

in".
So since then, we've been making quilts for our local homeless

healthcare
outreach center (where medics go into the field to offer medical services,
socks, blankets, etc). We took a page from the "Ugly Quilt" project back

east.

We've gotten donations of supplies from our local rotary, as well as

from
my little guy's teachers, and have completed 14 quilts so far.

Although we've been active in creating sturdy, washable quilts, my

little
guy is still fighting to find an artistic outlet in quilt design, and I'm
trying to help him.

Thank you all for your kindness. Please forgive my odd questions here

and
there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your friendly natures.

Kindest regards,
Cabn

Old January 10th 04, 03:29 PM
Kate Dicey

CabnNThWoods wrote:

[...]

This young man is a real treasure! Doing all those quilts will keep him
happy on one level, but you are right - he also needs an artistic
outlet. One of the best things you can do for and with him is to take
him to a quilt shop and let him get fabrics that speak to him, to make
the quilt that he has inside. Once it's done, let him do with it what
he will: donate to the homeless, give as a personal gift, keep forever,
his choice. I think, from the little experience I have with autistic
and other kids with special needs, one of the things he will appreciate
is having control of a little part of his destiny.

Best of luck with this and many more quilty projects: you sound like you
are enjoying the adventure. And DO post pix we can see! We LOVE
looking at quilty pix!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 10th 04, 04:00 PM
Chipper

What fun projects to do together! Your son sounds very talented. I'm
looking forward to the pictures.
chipper

Old January 10th 04, 04:42 PM
Diana Curtis

Welcome to the group!
Diana, scootching over a bit to make more room at the cyber frame... and
nipping a bit of the chocolates. :-)

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 10th 04, 04:42 PM
CabnNThWoods

Subject: Need to introduce myself
From: "nzl*"
Date: 1/9/04 11:26 PM Mountain Standard Time
yea, what cozy said.
we looooooove pix round here.
please please please
jeanne

Thank you all for your kind welcomes. :-)

This is a multimedia piece my son did when he was 9. I think this is when he
started getting a "thing" for fabric. LOL It's called "My Backyard" (we live
in the mountains).

http://members.aol.com/hugyourkidz/mtns.jpg

This is one of our earliest quilts. We made it for his aunt for Xmas. Like I
said, we've been mainly creating ragged-edge quilts, but are ready to step into
something a little more difficult.

http://members.aol.com/hugyourkidz/daff.jpg

Regards,

Cabn

Old January 10th 04, 04:49 PM
Diana Curtis

Wow!
Diana

Old January 10th 04, 05:59 PM
cozy

that is so cool! Can you explain what 'a multimedia piece' means?

Old January 10th 04, 07:14 PM
Martha in IN

Welcome Cabn! Hmm, I don't remember any "Odd" questions...well maybe some
"odd" answers around here.G Not sure there are any odd or strange
questions that haven't been asked, this group seems to cover them all. Your
project with your son sounds terrific. Welcome again.
Martha