OT - what's your favourite Christmas Food/recipe

Old December 17th 03, 11:32 AM
Janner

Default OT - what's your favourite Christmas Food/recipe

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve! So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond Boxing
Day!

--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

---

Old December 17th 03, 12:02 PM
Susie

Hi,
I've only written in a few times but enjoy reading the messages.
I'm a NEW sewer and quilter as of October 11th. )
My favorite food is FUDGE or the holidays, my favorite recipe
is the FUDGE on the Fluff jar ), and my favorite tradition is
getting up as early as possible Christmas morning which is normally
3 to 4 am. This is nothing for me as I get up at that time every day
anyway.
Loved seeing all of the photos, watching the excitement here and
being a part of this newsgroup even though I'm sitting here in
northern NY..........waiting for the next storm to hit today.
Susie

Old December 17th 03, 12:23 PM
Keith Pope

Our favourite holiday food around here is Nanaimo bars.
Here's a link : http://www.city.nanaimo.bc.ca/d_about/nanaimobars.asp
I don't make them very often but we do buy them at the grocery store.
Favourite tradition would be midnight mass. It doesn't feel like Christmas
until we go to midnight mass, although we may go to the kids one at 7PM this
year so the princess can get her beauty rest.
HTH!
Michelle in Gander

Old December 17th 03, 01:09 PM
AliceW

Christmas brings back memories of a fruit tree my mom used to build. It had
fresh tangerines (the only time we got them) and oranges and apples and
bananas. And the bowl of mixed nuts and plates of pfernuise cookies - I'm
still addicted to those, but only the ones from Entemann. We had a big
dinner with a beautiful centerpiece made of celery and other edibles in a
crystal vase that was my grandmothers. Didn't have a lot of money then, so
my mother was very creative with decorations that could be eaten later.
Nothing wasted. My sister and I used to fight over who got the center of
the celery, you know, the "little trees". My mom gave me that crystal vase
during my last visit to Florida. Guess what will be on my Christmas table
this year!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old December 17th 03, 01:21 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

The favourite food in my family is the Date Torte bars that I make.
Christmas Dinner has never been a big deal and we have different food from year
to year but we *always* have those Date Torte bars :-). It's three layers --
bottom and top a crispy oatmeal & brown sugar concoction with a boiled date,
nut and coconut center. It's one of those things that everyone likes -- even
those who don't like dates! VERY righ as there is loads of butter in the
oatmeal layers :-).
There are several different cookies I make that the family likes too. I
think the most popular are the Lacy Molasses roll up cookies and the ubiquitous
Oatmeal Cookies (with loads of nuts and coconut but NO raisins added in).
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old December 17th 03, 01:39 PM
Julia in MN

Chocolate fudge. I use a recipe my aunt gave my mom a long time ago. It
uses evaporated milk, chocolate chips, and marshmallows, though less
marshmallow than most of the marshmallow fluff recipes.

Runners-up would be gumdrop cookies and homemade peanut brittle. I also
make white rolled cookies and gingerbread boys every year.

I haven't done any baking so far -- must get at that soon

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old December 17th 03, 01:49 PM
Roberta Zollner

Real lebkuchen, "elisen" recipe from Nuremberg, can't have Christmas without
it. Christmas Eve supper: smoked salmon, creamed spinach, boiled potatoes
and scrambled eggs, with champagne. Christmas Day: roast goose with
everything.
Roberta in D

Old December 17th 03, 02:14 PM
Diana Curtis

Swedish Coffee bread, and pickled herring are my two must haves. The coffee
bread is one my mom made each year, it is sweet cardamom flavored yeast
bread, braided and sprinkled with slivered almonds and sugar. Its a not to
sweet, but oh, so tastey bread to have with.. coffee... what else!
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old December 17th 03, 02:16 PM
Jan Dunaway

I don't think I have just one. My grandma used to just bake bake bake
around the holidays. Nothing looked spectacular, but it sure tasted
spectacular. When trying to figure out what holiday traditions to start
with my daughter, I decided grandma's baking legacy must live! So I dug
out memories of what she used to bake and found as many recipes to try
out. So I guess it's sweets in general and the community feel of doing
it with someone that does it for me.

Jan