Rice bags for gifts

Old December 7th 03, 01:52 AM
Valkyrie

"M. Wetmore" wrote in message

I've heard of
people having problems with bugs getting into their rice bags.

Mardi

If you will tuck a bay leaf into the rice bag you won't get any critters.
Actually if you tuck bay leaves into any grain product, flour, grains,
cereals, etc, it will keep the little weevil bugs out, and leaves no flavor
either. A trick I learned a long time ago as a young Navy wife. I've been
making rice bags for 15 years and I have never personally ever had bugs in
any of mine, or told by those I made them for they had either. Must have to
do with the area in which one lives.

Val

Old December 7th 03, 06:38 PM
Dr. Quilter

uh, uh, love the 'cq' pillow, and aidan! )
BTW, what is a tallit?

hfw wrote:

a quick pic of what I've been up to (in addition to piecing 42 simple blocks
that I may put together this weekend) "Santa's Workshop--Ricebag Division"
and "Rice Bags closeup"

These measure about 38" x 4" and the covers are removable. I put buttonholes
in the covers and the rice bag itself and made little ties to hold it
together so the ricebag doesn't slip to one end.

Each takes a quarter yard of muslin and a quarter yard of outer fabric, but
I like to use two fat quarters to make two complementary rice bags.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old December 7th 03, 06:43 PM
Dr. Quilter

our microwave died before we moved to Seattle on Jan of 01 and we never
replaced it. so far we haven't found that we need it and have been
living happily without one (not too much counter space, and anyway DH
prefers other appliances around, like the waffle/pancake/panini maker I
gave him for his birthday, or the capuccino machine... the mention of
small heated rice bags for colicky babies reminded me of something I
have been wondering - do you guys think I will need one once the baby
comes, to heat up milk bottles and such? I plan to breast feed, but also
to pump, especially after I go back to work (haven't decided when that
will be, can take up to 3 months but would not be very clever for my
career....)

Valkyrie wrote:

"Sharon & Jack" wrote in message
nk.net...

I've heard of someone making a set like gloves. I use velcro, to make

changing the rice and washing

the cover easier.

Sharon

I made a pair of rice bags for a friend's mother who had terrible arthritis
in her hands. Poor lady would be in so much pain and get so bad that she
couldn't hold a glass or cup, let alone an eating utensil. I made them out
of some gingham I had had in my stash for who knows how long. I cut the
material about 12" wide and 16" long. I sewed it up the long side and turned
it seam side in to make a tube. I used about a 1/4 seam so the tube was just
shy of 6" wide. I then ran a line of stitching across the middle from side
to side and then ran seams the length so it was divided into thirds. Then
ironed each long side so I had creases in 1/3 divisions, side to side, on
each long half. I poured 1/2 cup of rice into the three tubes, shook it down
and then ran a seam side to side on the crease until all nine sections were
filled then stitched the end closed and repeated on the other half. Then I
folded it on the side to side center seam and stitched the long sides closed
so there was a pocket for her to slip her hands into. The rice stayed in
place quite well without slipping to the sides. I then made sort of an
envelope out of baby fleece long enough to you could slip it down inside the
pouch with enough hanging out the opening so you could fold a cuff back all
the way to cover the outside and then put a strip of baby snaps (because
that's what I had handy at the time) to close it up. This way both inside
and outside of the pouch would be covered and could be easily washed while
keeping the rice bag clean. Just don't put the fleece envelope in the
microwave. She also puts a cup of water in the microwave about every 3rd or
4th time she nukes them and that seems to keep up the 'moist heat' factor.
She just loves these. When her hands get stiffening up or painful on her she
just slips them into her mitts for about 20 minutes and she says it gives
her more relief and movement than any of the arthritis medication she's ever
used. She says she heats them up every night and wears them to bed and now
she doesn't wake up to throbbing fingers and sleeps through the night. And
bless her little heart, she can even do her "fancy work" again, as she calls
her embroidery, that she hadn't done in a long time, she's just thrilled.

Don'tcha just love it when you take the time to do something so simple and
it gives a person so much in return? Kind of makes your day! :-)

With a little adjustment on the size I'm sure this would work well for achy,
cold feet, too.

Val

Old December 7th 03, 07:13 PM
nana2b

I use my MW mostly to reheat stuff. When my DS was born no MW available.
Had to heat a bottle and baby food in warm water. Had one by the time DD
came along. Used it to heat up the baby food I made for her and the odd
bottles. You can get a very small one for under $75. Some are advertised
as DormRoom MWs.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old December 7th 03, 07:30 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Dr. Quilter
writes
our microwave died before we moved to Seattle on Jan of 01 and we never
replaced it.

snip
do you guys think I will need one once the baby
comes, to heat up milk bottles and such?

I don't know how it is in the US, but in the UK the standard advice is
NOT to use microwaves to heat up baby's bottles. The reason is they can
heat unevenly. You could test the temperature, think it's OK, but not
know there's a scalding hot portion in another part of the bottle.

It seems to me that once you know that fact you can give the bottle a
really thorough shake before you test it, and there'll be no problem.
Some of the standard advice seems to assume that mums are thick as
planks.

Having said that, I didn't use the MW to heat bottles, but I did use it
to defrost frozen portions of home-made purees when my babies were
weaning.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old December 7th 03, 08:00 PM
Shstringfellow

When my DS was born no MW available.
Had to heat a bottle and baby food in warm water.

I know when my girls were small, microwaves were just coming into common use.
"They" used to warn never to use it to heat up a baby bottle. I'm not quite
sure why, but I think it may have something to do with overheating the milk and
not being aware of it? Maybe someone else knows the reasoning behind this.
SueS
Old December 7th 03, 09:19 PM
Julia in MN

You don't a microwave for heating a baby's bottle. If you did, my kids
would have had to drink their milk cold Some people tell you not to
use a microwave for heating bottles because it heats unevenly and can
leave hot spots in the bottle. You can simply put the bottle in a pan of
hot tap water for a few minutes to take the chill off. Some babies
tolerate cold milk directly from the refrigerator. If you do heat the
bottle, be sure to shake the bottle to get rid of any "hot spots" and
check the temp of the milk (shake a few drops on your wrist) before you
give it to the baby.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old December 7th 03, 11:37 PM
Joanna

As said before the one concern is the milk can heat unevenly. Just give
a good shake before testing. But the other concern is that if you heat
with the nipple on it will start to break down the rubber or silicone.
Easily solved by not heating with the nipple. I don't think you would
any ways. You always remove the top then heat. I also heard one study
that they actually tested the food heated in the microwave and didn't
find anything that wasn't suppose to be there.
Joanna
Remove Quilt to reply

Old December 8th 03, 12:14 AM
Lizzy Taylor

Joanna wrote:
As said before the one concern is the milk can heat unevenly. Just give
a good shake before testing.

That was always my solution to any uneven heating possibility.

But the other concern is that if you heat
with the nipple on it will start to break down the rubber or silicone.
Easily solved by not heating with the nipple.

I used silicone teats (nipples) on the bottles for both DSs and even
with daily microwaving (and going in the dishwasher) they lasted way
longer than natural latex. In fact I think some of the slow flow ones
lasted for both. I lost more through tooth holes than anything else.

I say go for the microwave. It is very fast and when you have a wailing
baby in the wee small hours who wants that bottle NOW!!! You don not
want to be taking ten minutes to wait for it to warm up from fridge cold
in a jug of hot water. BTDT (Oh yes, and I do know that breast is
best, but my milk production was abysmal for all three children, believe
me I *did* try)

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old December 8th 03, 01:40 AM
CNYstitcher

We use the microwave for Rebekahs bottles....only do it for 15-20
seconds for a 5oz bottle, then shake it for a count of 12 (not sure why
that number). It takes the chill off the formula, but doesn't make it
hot, and yes, we test each bottle, even though the time doesn't change.

Oh, and we take the nipple off first

Larisa