Question for all new Mommies

Old November 11th 03, 02:21 PM
Debbi

Does mom live in a two story house? One of the monitors comes in really
handy. Unfortunately, Matthew was unable to cry until he was 10 months old
and had his throat reconstructed. I could use the monitor if he was upstairs
(I actually had a cradle downstairs too for him) so I could hear any
movement to know that he is awake. I have a monitor from my brother and SIL
for when they come and visit once a year (their kids are 5 years and 3
months). They can use the guest room and their older son uses my DD's room
when she is at her father's or camp. My mom used the monitor after my father
had his stroke in April so that she could work in her yard and keep tabs on
Dad.

Debbi in SO CA

"QuiltShopHopper" wrote in message
news
Hello all,
I have two friends who are expecting, and I am writing to ask what items

you
really needed or wanted most for your shower or new baby. Is there

anything
you needed more of than you received?
I am doing a flannel receiving blanket, burp towel and bib, but don't

those
things out to be much bigger than they are in the stores? Some babies can
burp all the way to the floor; seems like you would need a burp towel the
size of Kansas. And bibs, don't you need a bib the length of the baby and
the width of her outstretched arms?

Cyndi

Old November 11th 03, 02:56 PM
Diana Curtis

What I craved most was more sleep. :-)
But...thats not quite what you were looking for is it...
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 11th 03, 03:17 PM
Karlee in Kansas

JMO speaking here (mom of 2 kids, one of them is 2.5 months old)

*Diapers/nappys....most people will get them, but they are needed. find
out if the new mom is wanting to use cloth or disposable. If she is going
to use disposable, get size 2. The transition from size one to size 2
happens almost overnight, and can catch the mom off guard...sometimes a
package of cloth nappies can be handy too (I have one on the changing
table, two in the diaper bag to put under baby's bum when I'm changing her
nappy, and use a few as burp cloths because they are very good at
absorbing)

*Wipes.....never can have too many of them. Refills are handier than the
getting the filled box. She will most likely already have a box for them.
If you do get the box, you might want to add a note that they make great
storage containers for bath items, toys (the smaller ones), and other odd's
n ends. I have several that I keep some of my smaller fabric scraps in.

*Rash cream....again, never can have too much of it (I found that a bottle
of Vaseline works just as good if not better than the creams designed for
rash protection)

* nursing pads............. for when her milk comes in regardless of if she
is going to breastfeed or not. She will most likely leak for a few days or
longer

*laniosh cream................ if she is planning on breastfeeding. Helps
with cracked n*pples in the first few unpleasant days.

*stain remover................(I found that the Shout in the squeeze bottle
works the best) to get out unpleasant baby stains from clothes

*socks......................... Baby socks to keep baby's feet warm. DD
has out grown the teeniest ones already (she is going to have her daddy's
feet...see: land ski's)

*Head to toe baby wash (I use Johnson's).........I found that its easier to
have one bottle to squirt on the kidlet than have 2 bottles to squirt on a
squirmy wiggly screaming baby. Extra is always good because you can still
use it on older kidlets too.

*other items for baby care......... alcohol pads to clean the cord with,
extra clippers for baby's nails (I can never find the single pair that I
have), extra hair brush, extra de-snuffler (nasal aspirator), baby
thermometer, and one of the coolest things that we got was a ducky that you
put in the bath water before you put baby in....the bottom of the ducky
will tell you if the water is too hot or not.

*Stuff for the new mom......a lot of people forget that the new mom can get
tired too, and sometimes needs a pick me up. Lotion, herbal tea, foot
soak, gift certificate for a facial or a manicure, maybe an extra smallish
photo album (fits in your purse) to show off pictures of the wee one, some
of her favorite chocolate, even a homemade "coupon" for a meal on wheels a
la you. If she isn't sensitive to scents, maybe a few scented candles.

HTH
Karlee in Kansas, who is giggling about your "burp towel the size of
Kansas" comment :*)
Queen of Packrats
~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Old November 11th 03, 03:21 PM
oldhag

Cyndi,
Although I am not a new mommy, I am a new grammy. My daughter spends a
lot of her time living here with my princess and we are helping to
support her while she is finishing University. This being said I can
think of a lot of little things that a little one needs.
Thermometer, Tylenol, diaper rash creams, wipes, diapers and a million
recieving blankies. My DD is breast feeding and goes through a lot of
them. She uses them as drapes, and general all purpose wiper uppers.
Bibs are ok but she prefers ones that snap up not tie. They still don't
get all the spray but thats where the recieving blankets come in. Onsies
are a good thing too...I don't think you can have too many of those
also. If these new moms are going to a laundromat then they would need
double what you think so that they can save some extra trips to do
laundry.
I think the best shower gift she got was a basket filled with the
Tylenol and various general care and maintenance items that you forget
you need until you want to use them. The outfits and stuff were cute but
some of them she never even got a chance to put on the babe as she grew
too fast. It was a shame that her friends spent money on things that
were cute but not used.
Donna in NWOntario

Old November 11th 03, 03:46 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Just a side note on the Tylenol....I was told at the hospital that you
shouldn't give a baby Tylenol until it reached 2 months of age. The doc
said that until 2 months, it can be extremely difficult to get such a
smallish dose correct, and you don't want to over medicate the baby because
it can be bad for his/her health.

We held off on giving DD Tylenol until her 2 month well baby visit when
they told us what dose to use. On the bottle/package it says "under 24
pounds, under 2 years consult doctor for dosage"

I'm sure that it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep handy after baby gets
old/big enough to have it tho....

Oh, we tried the Mylicon drops for baby gas. Spent a hefty penny on it,
and it didn't work. What did work for baby gas (in our house anyway) was
skin to skin contact and lots of baby back and tummy rubs. (the good thing
about that was it didn't cost a penny)

Hugs
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats
~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

.. .

Old November 11th 03, 04:16 PM
Kellie J. Berger

are you making the bibs? 2 features i found helpful in 2 seperate bibs my
kids had.....
one had a little loop that snapped a the end to hold a
binky/passy/chewtoy..... that proved VERY helpful!
and the other was a very long bib that had sleeves and pocket(s?) at the
bottom of it which caught crumbs and noodles and other things -- leaving the
floor/highchair a bit easier to clean! I could just dump the pocket
contents into the trash!

socks.... lotsa socks.... they lose them quickly and they are good for
putting on hands at night to keep fingernails from scratching precious
tender faces!

cloth diapers - good for burp cloths
those little lap changing pads that look like felted wool... in various
sizes

30 min of babysitting so mama can take a shower all by herself! (still need
that somedays and baby is 2 1/2!)

bigger clothes/diapers (babies grow too quickly)
and on a related note..... baby proofing stuff (plug covers, cabinet locks)
can never come too soon! My oldest child was walking at 7mos... skipped
crawling alltogether!

and of course a nice play quilt!

hope this helps!
kellie

Old November 11th 03, 04:18 PM
Marie L. Gore

I am the mother of 3, all 3 and under. I recommend bibs, especially if
you are going to make them. They can be quite expensive to get what you
need and the quality is poor compared to homemade ones. A pattern like
the following is great to save outfits.

http://www.sewbaby.com/patterns.html

I recommend all white because it can be bleached or a bright red or blue
because it doesn't show the stains as badly. I liked the denim ones I
received too. They seemed to stand up to a lot of abuse and not let
watery food through to the clothes. Yes, keep them big. Even little
babies have big urps and need a bib to save clothes. They can also be
used to burp a baby.

With my toddler we bought a bunch of dish clothes and used clips to keep
them on.

Old November 11th 03, 04:27 PM
Kate Dicey

QuiltShopHopper wrote:

Hello all,
I have two friends who are expecting, and I am writing to ask what items you
really needed or wanted most for your shower or new baby. Is there anything
you needed more of than you received?
I am doing a flannel receiving blanket, burp towel and bib, but don't those
things out to be much bigger than they are in the stores? Some babies can
burp all the way to the floor; seems like you would need a burp towel the
size of Kansas. And bibs, don't you need a bib the length of the baby and
the width of her outstretched arms?

Cyndi

It may be 9 years since I was a new mum, but I DO still remember what I
reeeeeely wanted: a vaaaast supply of breast pads and nipple cream that
I wasn't allergic to! Oh, and a dozen nursing bras!

Stuff for baby? nah... he had plenty!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 11th 03, 07:20 PM
Kathy in CA

I have a grandson almost 1 yr old. I know for a fact that the receiving
blankets I made for him were 100% better quality and larger than the store
bought ones.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff: