What Quilt Scares You?

Old October 28th 03, 09:19 AM
Roberta in D

Try a Granny Potholder: Piece 2 hexagon "flowers" using hexagons 2.5 or 3"
across (each is 7 pieces). Do them over paper. Press really well and take
the papers out. Cut 2 layers of cotton batting (or whatever insulation you
want to put inside) slightly smaller than the finished flower. Sandwich it
all and whip stitch the outer edges together. You can machine quilt around
the center if you want, makes it more stable in the wash.

And then you'd never have to do another! :-)
Roberta in D

"Jalynne" wrote in
nk.net:

I'd like to try everything once. I might wanna make something small
with the hexagons. like a table runner or something....who knows, it
could happen.

Old October 28th 03, 09:41 AM
Sharon Harper

Oooooh I'd love to see that!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
"Roberta in D" wrote in message
4...
Do you recall seeing the photo of Bristol Star? It was on the cover of
QNM a few years ago, Big circle of flying geese around a big central
mariner's compass, and the geese curve off to form 4 smaller circles in
the corners... Stunning! This is my "someday" project, except I'd need to
find how to do it in a different way so it wouldn't just look like I'd
copied that quilt. I've done lots of compasses, so technically, I THINK
it's possible, just not quite entirely sure.
Roberta in D

"Diana Curtis" wrote in
:

Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in
knots to think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be
and what about it makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me
worried. In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I
hate all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking
good contrast and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time
to use a scanner to take the diagram of the quilt to be able to
preview fabrics in it. Its on my to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the
same quilts.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 28th 03, 01:04 PM
frood

OK, here's what we'll do. I'll mix the Margarootles, and you pull out all
the fabric. I'll dive in and start flinging stuff around, you have a drink.
Then, you play with what I pulled out, see if anything sparks, and I'll have
a drink. Then, we'll work together on the design wall, playing with the
ideas, and we'll both have a drink.

Then, we'll find somebody sober to take a picture of it, and to write down
our incoherent babblings about what we're doing. Next, we'll tuck you in
bed, pack up all your stash in my bag, and they can drive me home.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Elena" wrote in message
Hmm scare me? Nothing quilty.

Intimidate me for awhile.. surely.
Probably an art quilt where I was told to just.. do what I feel.
I'd probably go for a margarita. Blank slates challenge me. Toooo many
possibilitiesss... brain overload... smoke.. error error non-sequiter..

your
facts are uncorrelated...

Elena, winding down.

Old October 28th 03, 01:05 PM
QuiltR1024

In article , "
Ellison" writes:

Howdy!
When you put in the pond/pool and the stock it w/ fish.

Quilts and ponds--what a combo! g

Ragmop/Sandy

Hi Sandy & All,
I did a Koi Pond wall hanging last year. and here is a web site where
you can see it. Mine is the second quilt down on this page.

http://www.quiltart.com/challenges/3D/

I seem to be doing a lot of water related quilts lately. I drew all the
designs myself. Here are some more of them.

http://quiltart.com/challenges/window/default.htm ( mine os the first quilt
shown).

&
http://www.quiltaholic.com/quiltarti...is-bishop.html

Some day I'll get a web page done and post all of my quilts. Until then,
I'll just have to show a few at a time on different web sites. grin

Kris ( in northern Virignia)
Old October 28th 03, 01:26 PM
Elena

Doing inside points and the flat thing for me too. Well, maybe when I press
it. face down on a towel, I know.

Elena in Tx

"melinda" wrote in message
Diana Curtis wrote:
I dont know. Fearful appliquers, want to field this one? Im in the let

me at
it kind of mode for applique so I dont know what might be intimidating.
Diana

Making sure the edges stay turned under, and the piece stays flat.
Maybe it's just a case of trying it to find out if I can do it or
not, given my liking for hand work I'd probably go okay with it, but
I just don't know yet.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old October 28th 03, 01:33 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I have witnesses!!!!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
When you put in the pond/pool and the stock it w/ fish.

Quilts and ponds--what a combo! g

Ragmop/Sandy
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Actually, the kids will be going to visit daddy at least 2 or so

weekends
month, so I'll be able to have more than just an annual quilting

weekend.

When are you gonna come to one?

Old October 28th 03, 01:35 PM
Marijke

I'm doing a paper pieced version of the DWR, at the McCall's website. Very,
very easy.

Marijke, in Montreal

"Diana In Dallas" wrote in message
Mine I think would be the double wedding ring.
I am so drawn to that pattern and would love to
due one in red & purple our favorite colors. It just
looks so intimidating.

Diana in Dallas
(no grandbaby its due in two days on the 29th.)

Old October 28th 03, 01:36 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Well, they have gotten quilts, but they didn't really beg all that hard. It
was actually pretty pitiful.

I'll put you on the reserve list, Joy. I would love to bring one personally
some day.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"A Joy in Hawaii"

Okay, LN, when you get an overload of quilts, pass one on over here!
It's cold up here in da mountains! (How's dat? Has anyone begged one
off of LN before? =} ).

A Joy in Hawaii

Old October 28th 03, 01:37 PM
Marijke

Oh my goodness! I've never seen that pattern before. It's gorgeous!!

Marijke, in Montreal

"sdgodfrey" wrote in message
et...
A very astute question! I guess if I can figure out what differentiates
the ones I like from the ones I don't, it will be much easier to choose
fabric. Hmm... The problem is I can't pin-point it. None of the
pictures I've seen really inspire me. But the two I've seen 'in real
life' were both gorgeous. I'm trying to remember just what the ones I
liked look like. I think they had a dark center, graduating out to
light fabrics. But I'm not sure. I may have to re-visit them to check.
Thanks for the push to think it through.

BTW, here are some links to some Blooming Nine Patches on the web:

http://www.doublejproductions.com/lo...?TOPIC_ID=1351

http://www.tlcquilts.com/images/bloom9p1.jpg

http://mclaren.frenzy.com/quilting/blooming9patch.html

--