About Us

Old October 15th 03, 07:31 AM
melinda

G'day!

Name: Melinda (Prefer to protect privacy, but I'm in the directory)

Home: Cardiff, New South Wales, Australia

Occupation: Domestic Engineer

Age: 31

Past Lives: Qualified Architectural Draftsperson, need to go to Uni to
get any further, companies in town prefer uni students getting experience,
time for the work involved in the degree was too much for my liking.

Family: Married DH (Athol) likes the results of my quilting, not keen on
the time I spend on it. 3 1/2 month old son. Parents 1/2 hour away,
sister and BroIL in Sydney.

Food: Chocolate, cheesecake, home cooked dinners that I don't have to cook,
Turkish cuisine

QI's: No pets, just son and husband

Machine(s): Handed down Janome from 1980

Quilting For: Depends, been piecing since '96

Quilt Assembly Preference: Machine or EPP

Quilt Style Preference: I'll try anything once

Colour Preference: Prefer brights but will use anything

Skill level: Beginner to Intermedite Beginner

Posting/Reading frequency: Depends on how busy I am

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Metallic Silhouette (email me
for further info on that one), reading - Sci-Fi/Fantasy, spy (Le Carre), Bronte
sisters, belly dancing, garment sewing, beading, sleeping

Pet Peeves: Cigarette, etc smoke, Gun Control Lobby, smoky car exhausts

TV Shows: The Bill, Law & Order, Red Cap, movies (ATM on TV only)

Drive A: 1980 Volvo powered by a 350 Chev

Favorite Quote: What the...?

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 15th 03, 11:51 AM
georg

Name: Georg

Home: Upstate NY

Occupation: training as a medical transcriptionist, about 2/3 through
course. Hope to be finished and employed by the end of the year.

Age: 34

Past Lives: Newspaper copyeditor, technical writer. My MCS keeps me from
working in an office setting now. Hoping to work from home.

Family: DH

Food: Anything without mushrooms, legumes, pepperoni, or grains, but
preferably with cheese or chocolate. Dark chocolate is best.

QI's: Dog is officially Kenya, but answers to Dog more often. Cats are
Colin, Spider, Sassy (usually called Fat Cat), and Pepe our newest &
youngest and only longhair.

Machine(s): Kenmore 1998 model, Wards 1949 in cabinet.

Quilting For: First quilt finished in high school. Have worked on
projects regularly since then.

Quilt Assembly: I prefer the hand aesthetic. Will machine piece, but I
like hand applique. Prefer hand quilting, but have been caught MQ.
Plotting a CQ.

Quilt Style Preference: None. Don't like quilts that look "muddy" or
MQed all over without emphasizing the pattern. MQ can look good when the
quilting accents the pattern, but I hate meandering to no apparent purpose.

Colour Preference: Purple, blue, jeweltones. I hate florals.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: SCA. Calligraphy
and illumination. Fermenting things. Cheesemaking. Playing EQ, the Sims,
or Monster Rancher.

Pet Peeves: I am a grumpy person who hates people who swim in perfume. I
have more, but I'll spare you.

TV Shows: CSI and Pokemon are my favorites.

Favorite Quote: Fill the void.

-georg

Old October 15th 03, 02:07 PM
QuiltR1024

Hi,
I'm a "muse in training" & I inspire other and myself. Just stop on by
and get inspired. That's my biography and I'm sticking to it. big grin

Kris ( in northern Virignia, who just finished another quilt )
Old October 15th 03, 02:21 PM
CNYstitcher

Name: Larisa Vann

Home: Liverpool, NY (3 years), via Panama (2 years), via VA (1.5 years),
via Maryland (23.5 years)

Occupation: Not-so-stay-at-home Mom

Age: 30 (for 2 more months)

Past Lives: retail (JoAnn Fabrics), clerical (law office, gov't
contractor), more retail (Home Depot, Sears), food service (waitress,
food runner, dishwasher)

Family: DH, DS (3), DD (13 days), several inlaws, most of which I adore,
Mother, father, stepmother, step-siblings (don't even ask!)

Food: any chocolate other than white chocolate, chinese food, "southern"

food - meat and potatoes type meals

QIs: Shadow (black DSH) 6yrs, Spirit (grey DSH) 6yrs - Shadow's litter
mate, Nugget (gold DSH) 7yrs (this is actually DHs cat, that he raised
to think he was a dog!)

Machine(s): Sears Kenmore 12-stitch, regularly used; hand crank, treadle,

modified machine (still trying to date it) that are in the repair process

Quilting for: about 2 years. Did discover "quilts" that I made for DS -
made out of pre-printed panels...made before I ever got pregnant simply
because i liked the colors and designs...they were made in about 1998

Quilt Assembly preference: rotary cut, machine pieced

Quilt style and preference: not into applique yet, thinking about paper
piecing....prefer straight rotary cut, non-odd shaped blocks

Color Preference: navy, forest green, burgundy, purple, kids prints,

*no* pinks/paisleys

Skill Level: still consider myself a beginner in all aspects....I get
too impatient to see the finished product to remember the "rules"

Posting/Reading Frequency: try to read at least once a day so as not to

overload my computer (have had a few crashes on days when I haven't
gotten here to dump the posts!). POst probably everyday as well if
there is something that I can comment on or help with.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: garment sewing,

cross-stitch, interior decorating, collecting old sewing machines (a
farily new interest)

Pet Peeves: to quote Kathy Applebaum: "Let's not go there. There's only so

much bandwidth, and I don't need to get riled up today."

TV Shows: Survivor, CSI, other shows depend on my level of awareness,

which isn't high these days

Drive: 1997 dark green Suzuki Sidekick, sometimes a 1996 black Geo Metro

(DHs car)

Favorite Quote: "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle, I just

wish he didn't trust me so much." Mother Teresa (so it has been said)
"Don't mess with the Mama Bear." LRV

Old October 15th 03, 02:25 PM
Tina

Renee Clark wrote:

While googling trying to learn more about our Mesue (wish I had a chance to
get to know her), I came across a thread from 2000 in which RCTQ'ers
introduced themselves in detail. I've come on board since then (September of
'02), and I'm sure many others have too. Might be worth doing again for the
sake of those who are a bit newer. I'll go first, in the hope that some of
you will follow suit.
Blessings
Renee

Renee, thanks for posting this .I enjoyed reading about you !

here is my info such as it is:

Name: Tina Hoak
Home: Brockport NY USA
Occupation: Radiological Technologist RT.. (R) (M) ( Xray tech lic. for
regular x-rays and mammography)

Age: hate to own up to this one.....41

Past Lives:worked in clothing retail, factory worker assembling smoke
detectors, and in high school I worked at a local "fish/ seafood"
store.

Family: married 15 yrs. to my DH Brian, 2 boys : Erich 13 and Kyle 11
yrs old.

Food:Chocolate, cheese cake, mashed potatoes with gravy, shrimp and a
nice steak ... also ...not all at the same time vbg

QI's: 2 dogs currently.... a 1 yr. old border collie named Bandit, and
a 2 yr. old Bishon Frise/ poodle mix named Digger. Both of which love
sleeping on my boy's quilts ! I had to make them a fleece one for
"their" dog bed....and don't think about moving either because they know
right where it is at all times........must have a dog alarm on it or
something!

Machine(s): a Viking 250, Viking #1 plus, and a Viking 910 serger.
Did I say my dogs guard my sewing
room ? hehehehe

Quilting For: oh lets see........made my first tied quilt 13 yrs. ago

Quilt Assembly : I machine piece and machine quilt. I have done "one"
hand pieced and hand quilted hanging.

Quilt Style Preference: any type..

Color Preference: moss greens , gold yellows,red, plums....tans, navy,
burgundy

Skill level: I lump myself in as a beginning intermediate if there is
such a thing

Posting/Reading frequency: Read weekly , more if time permits.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading, digital
photography, gardening, painting

Pet Peeves: people that park in handicapped spaces without a permit.
People that leave their pets in cars when it is hot outside.

TV Shows: the news...Joan of Arcadia...not really much time for TV.

Drive A: 1997 Olds. Mini van

Favorite Quote: none really........

--
Tina
Brockport, NY
Old October 15th 03, 02:36 PM
CNYstitcher

Forgot:

Stash: not big enough to worry about raids. MOst of it is for clothing
anyway, and therefore not suitable for quilts grin

Life Status: in an adjustment periiod again with a 3yo and a newborn,
but otherwise, pretty good...awaiting to hear if we are moving or not

Old October 15th 03, 02:46 PM
Tina

frood wrote:

I meant to say 4-legged dog.

--
Wendy

and here I was thinking your kids really brought home a hairy big foot
...." mom, can we keep it ? " :-)

--
Tina
Brockport, NY
Old October 15th 03, 03:13 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Don't think I did this the first time around, so here goes....

Name: Marcella

Home: Belmont, CA

Occupation: happy wife and lucky mom and part time quilting teacher

Age: yes

Past Lives: all kinds of odds and ends. Wienerdog for corporate
wienerschnitzl :-); aerobics instructor; masseuse; secretary

Family: Husband, son, parents, two sisters and assorted extended
relatives.

Food: Yes and often!

QI's: I believe that would be me. I have been known to fondle, drool
over and roll on every quilt I make. I also leave long dark hair
behind, but I always pick it all off the finished product. None of the
four legged variety.

Machine(s): Elna quilters dream; Brother 1500s; Singer 301 and New Home
of the older but not antique variety for back up. I think there's a
surger somewhere too but I never use it.

Quilting For: Mebbe 10 years by now. Sewing since forever and I'm
really glad my days of sewing stacks of ugly bridesmaids dresses for
others are over!

Quilt Assembly Preference: Assembled. I just love a finished quilt,
don't you? I dabble - a little by hand, some my machine...

Quilt Style Preference: Leaning towards traditional for what I make but
I love to look at it all! I have a secret love for itty bitty quilts
with teeny weenie pieces though.

Colour Preference: Yes, I prefer colored fabrics. White just doesn't
thrill me.

Skill level: Depends on the task. I'm good at piecing (hand or machine)
and hand applique. My machine applique is below beginner level :-) I'm
fairly good at quilting either way.

Posting/Reading frequency: Daily at least

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading, baking
bread and cooking of other sorts, puttering around the house and digging
in the garden.

TV Shows: We love tv around here. ER, 24, Survivor and Amazing Race,
lately we've been laughing at Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Drive A: Geo Prizm much to my families embarrassment

Favorite Quote: oh dear, off the cuff? I'd have to think a while on
this. Guess I'm not a quote girl.

marcella
Old October 15th 03, 04:14 PM
Julia in MN

Name: Julia
Home: Rochester, Minnesota
Occupation: Retired
Age: 59
Past lives: Librarian, Stay-at-home-mom, software engineer
Family: Married 36 years. DS & DDIL have 2 beautiful children. DD will
be married Nov. 1
Food: Chocolate, especially dark chocolate.
QI's: None
Machine: Elna Quilter's Dream. I've always owned Elnas, starting with a
Supermatic in 1966. Also have an ElnaLock serger, but don't use it much
since I do very little garment sewing these days.
Quilting for: 30 years, off and on. More intensely for 4 or 5 years. I'm
mostly self-taught from books. Gotta love those public libraries!
Quilt assembly preference: Rotary cut, machine pieced. I enjoy both hand
and machine quilting. Hand quilting is more relaxing but machine
quilting is much faster. Which I choose depends on the project at hand.
I have also done a fair amount of machine applique and tried hand
applique; I would rather piece. I have just started doing some
foundation paper piecing and am not sure yet how well I like it.
Quilt style preference: traditional, but sometimes some non-traditional
colors.
Color preference: generally greens and earth tones, though I have used a
wide variety of colors; sometimes I surprise myself with what I choose.
Skill level: Intermediate
Posting/reading frequency: Daily
Other interests: Reading, computer, grandkids
TV shows: Seldom watch anything, especially since we no longer get MASH
re-runs.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old October 15th 03, 04:23 PM
DMOscarson

What a great idea! Thanks, Renee.

Name: Debbie Oscarson

Home: Isanti, Minnesota, USA -- I don't mind giving it out because we're on a
dead end dirt road in the middle of nowhere and even people who have directions
sometimes can't find us!

Occupation: Right now, it seems like getting well is my full-time job. I have
Sarcoidosis in my lungs, lymph nodes, bone marrow, joints and skin -- very rare
disease in a very rare form, but, fortunately not a malignant type disease,
rather an inflammatory/autoimmune thing like RA, MS or Lupus.

Age: Must we? OK, 50.

Past Lives: I was a legal secretary/assistant before becoming disabled.

Family: Married 11 years to my DH Ted. I have 2 kids from a previous marriage
and Ted has 3.

Food: Chocolate, of course. Could we quilt without it? Also, pepper steak,
egg foo yung, cheese cake, lasagna, almost anything at a Chinese buffet. It
would be easier to list things I don't like, because there are so few.

QI's: 9 dogs -- 8 of them Pomeranians (used to show & breed) and 1 Brittany who
thinks she's a Pom. All house dogs, of course (no point in having them if you
don't enjoy their company) and two large areas of our 3 1/2 acres are fenced
for their pleasure and safety.

Machine(s): A Janome MC8000; a 1976 Elna SU on which I do all my piecing; a
Pfaff serger; and a Juki TL98e on a Quilt Easy frame for machine quilting.
Also, DH has an industrial machine and does show car (street rod) interiors.

Quilting For: About 7-8 years I guess, but sewing since I was 8 years old.

Quilt Assembly : I machine piece and machine quilt.

Quilt Style Preference: Mostly traditional pieced, some crazy quilting, and I
like to embellish with machine embroidery.

Color Preference: I want one of everything!

Skill level: Advanced intermediate?

Posting/Reading frequency: Mostly lurk and read as time & health permit.

Interests other than quilting/fabric fondling/S.E.X.: Reading, cake decorating,
knitting (hand & machine) and I just started gardening this year and learned to
can salsa and pickles.

Pet Peeves: Pets allowed to run loose! I'm tired of seeing dead cats & dogs
on country roads.

TV Shows: I'm ashamed to admit that I've taken a liking to that sleazy new
show, Nip/Tuck on FX ;-) Also like the CBS comedies on Monday night.

Drive A: 1989 Honda Accord and a 1955 Chevy Bel Air and a 1964 Chevy El Camino.
I forgot to mention old cars and car shows above.

Favorite Quote: "If our beliefs do not change our behavior, why have beliefs?"