OT splainin'

Old August 10th 03, 10:54 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Actually, I have just been too busy to read the ng last few days! That
always happens near the weekends.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Well if'n you'd jest been a bit more quick instead of doin' that

politeness
thing......

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old August 10th 03, 11:24 PM
frood

Ooh, yes, please! I'll take one Thank-ee, and an extra large Margarootle,
extra salt and a dishy footman!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"DDM" wrote in message
Oh, now you're gonna go and make poor Diana laugh if she reads what you
wrote, Wendy.
And it hurts to laugh after having surgery....a lot.
Besides, don't you want those fancy engraved thank you notecards to be

hand
delivered on a silver platter by the footman? Maybe they'll be delivering
some Margarootles too. g

Dee in LeRoy, NY (on the lookout for a good Margarootle delivery myself)

Old August 16th 03, 07:39 PM
Roberta Zollner

Glad you're mending!
No need to thank us, really. Remember we're a network by our own volition.
What affects you affects me, both the good stuff and the bad. And that
quote-I-can't-remember about how shared joy multiplies, while shared trouble
reduces? It's perfectly true. We bask in the light of our friends, even the
cyber-light. I know for a fact that it's not even necessary to tell you my
troubles to feel a calming presence.
Reading the ng every day keeps all of you in my thoughts, just as I am sure
to be in all of yours. Thanks!
Roberta in D

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im going to do a quick explanation with no gory details about my operation
so everyone knows that I didnt get sent through a wringer. I had the type

of
gall bladder removal they used to do, and still do sometimes, instead of

the
easier to recover from laparoscopic type they prefer to do. So, instead of

set of tiny cuts I have a larger one, stapled shut, and two drain sites.

The
other part of the operation was a strange one where they ran a camera and
other gizmos to the site of the stones via the mouth and got some out of

the
ducts. The reason my gall bladder needed this more invasive set of
procedures was simply that there were so many stones and because they were
large. Coctail onion size they said.
While in the hospital I thought about what might and could happen while in
surgery. I guess its inevitable to face ones own mortality, especially

when
we know we would leave precious little ones behind, but when I read the
messages Mike printed and brought in from all of you I realized two

things.
Many of you had lived through these procedures and are happy for having

done
so. Second, I was not going to entertain the notion of leaving. Dying was
not an option. I learned too that love can float around me and cradle me

in
times of fear. I felt very little. I dont know, or care what diety or enti

ty
you sent your prayers towards. I still feel them. They help me heal,

because
a body cant help but heal better when it feels happy, valued and loved.
hmm...people have accused me of being effusive. Ill add maudlin to that
list. Its your own problem if it seems over the top. In fact.. let me know
if its over the top and Ill privately email you with MORE!
buwahahahahahaha!!!
hey, I dont LIKE whats happened to me... it hurts, but dang, you guys know
how to do that love thing so nicely.
My individual thanks will come as I have time and energy. I have a lot of
them to do. I will do them with joy. Its so odd to feel so wonderfully
happy.
my love to you
Diana
I should probably let this sit overnight to edit later when Im not so

high..
but.. i dont know.. is there a reason why I should not be this open with

my
feelings?

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 17th 03, 12:54 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Welcome home, RZ!

SHE'S BAAACK!!

Roberta & I "did" Fort Worth lightly the other day,
finished w/ a glass of cold tea and a lonnnnng talk.
Met Roberta's lovely older daughter;
she does quilt shops, too. g
Now let's talk Roberta into Houston 20-0-4 !

Ragmop/Sandy--leaving the charming thoughts from the original post

Old August 24th 03, 07:51 PM
Dr. Quilter

I am sorry, but I have to say something about this. I have heard of
this, and I'd really like to know if there was a statistical
significance between the improvment of people that were prayed for and
those what were not. I truly don't believe in this!!! BTW, I think that
if we want to help other people, actions are much more effective!

Nell Reynolds wrote:
Three or four years ago I read about some big research group that decided to
research the efficacy of prayers. Yeah, right, I thought. But this
research group asked people and groups all over the world to pray to their
own god(s) in their own way to help various people. They enlisted Christian
preachers of all denominations to ask for prayers from the pulpit, nuns and
monks from various convents and monasteries, Buddhist temples, Muslim
religious leaders, rabbis, and people from religions I had never heard of.
The article said they conducted this in the standard double-blind method,
different religions for various people not of their faith and in their
faith, and a control group that got no prayer at all. No names were
included, just requests for "a person (no gender or age) in (location)
suffering from (affliction)." In every case, from every source of prayer,
the target of the prayers reported improvement that was confirmed by
diagnosis.
Prayer does help.

Nell in Austin

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old August 24th 03, 08:13 PM
Shelly

It's a proven fact! Studies have shown that if you pray before surgery,
healing time is much faster and you have a better turn out altogether with
the surgery and recovery.
Shelly

" Ellison" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old August 24th 03, 10:01 PM
Teresa in Colorado

I agree. I'd love to see the reports for these studies.
--
Teresa in Colorado

--
"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
Who conducted these studies? I don't have any problem with you
personally Shelly, and no reason not to believe what you are saying, but
just because you tell me it is a proven fact doesn't mean I have to
automatically take it as such, do you agree?

I am just very skeptical. I am sure that people that pray want to
believe that they are doing something good for the person they are
praying for, but I'd like to see some evidence, not just statements like
that.

" Ellison" wrote in message

[...]

et...

Old August 24th 03, 11:26 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I neither know for a fact nor worry about whether
it's scientifically proved that prayer increases healing.
However, there are some reputable groups researching this issue:
http://www.ahsc.arizona.edu/opa/news/may03/prayer.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/...ain68441.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Downt...emotehealing_f
eature.html

http://www.healingtherapies.info/prayer_and_healing.htm

http://www.integral-inquiry.com/docs/649/empirical.pdf

http://www.wholistichealingresearch....ch/Studies.htm

http://spot.colorado.edu/~vstenger/RelSci/4.Dossey

and so on, and so on.
As a scientist yourself, you know that some people will study anything.
In this case, it's more than just vague theory and opinion. Many of these
studies include clinical tests, analyzing data, testing, researching, and
studying
the results.
As you yourself have stated many time that
you're not "a believer" in this area. I accept that. g
However, for those who are, keep up the good work. Often it's Faith
that produces Action. ;-)
Ragmop/Sandy--I'm a little addicted to on-line search engines VBG