Need help from quilters.. Heart Quilt Blocks in trade for donation please read!

Old August 8th 03, 01:16 PM
Kate Dicey

Cheyne wrote:

I was told to come here by one of your fellow memebers..
I didnt JUST find this site...

I still wonder who that might be. No regular poster would advise you to
advertise here. They might tell you to ask for advice here! I do that
all the time. Several members are here because I steered them from
other news groups.

I am not in the wrong for posting something like this.. If you dont
like it... then you shouldnt have read it.. am I right or does freedom
of press not exist anymore???

Yes you are in the wrong. You posted an add to a NEWS ONLY group: that
is against our charter. There is no ducking that one, I'm afraid.

Freedom of the press is a myth and doesn't exist, not anywhere! It
never did. You only have to read a little history to see that. We have
more freedom in this respect here in the UK than seems to be the case in
the USA, but I would still not say it was true freedom - one is not
permitted to publish all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. And
this is a public forum WITH RULES (which you broke), not a newspaper!
And what relevance to the present issue has freedom of speech anyway?

I think those who commented, took it into their own hands when they
chose to read it.. by law, if you open it.. you are negotiating to its
terms regardless of what it says...

This is very muddled and almost meaningless. What are you actually
trying to say? I cannot help you if I cannot understand what you are
trying to say. I will try to answer the point I THINK you are trying to
make:

Would you like to show me the law of contract that states that one
enters a legally binding contract with whoever sends anything by
whatever means, physical or electronic, merely by opening it? Sounds
like I have a legally binding contract for about 243 penis enlargements
if this is the case... Hm - sounds like spammers heaven. Sorry - that
is muddled thinking at best. Were it true, we'd all be in the deep brown
sticky stuff with no paddles for not honouring contracts all over the
place with banks for unwanted loans, insurance companies for multiple
insurance policies on the same properties (illegal in itself) and owing
millions to book clubs for books we don't want and never received...
And all because we opened the junk mail or email to see who it was that
sent it rather than binning it without opening it at all.

I am just going to leave and go about my way... but maybe you should
turn your head and look around you at who is giving out YOUR name to
others to post here.......

Why should anyone want to post my name here for me? Don't I do that
enough as it is myself? (I was sixth on the list of posters last time I
looked!) And what would be the point? Just to say, 'Hay, look! She
exists!'? *I* know I exist, and so do lots of folk here. You can find
out how real I am if you like - there's a URL below if you want it.

Maybe you should read what I said again, and if there is something you
don't understand, just ask. I'll try to clarify any points you missed.

As far as I know *I* did not steer you here. Had we been in contact
before you posted I (and everyone else here who has commented) would
have told you NO ADDS - not for anything.

Maybe you should just stick around and learn some news group and general
netiquet from this group, as well as the power of prayer and the joy we
take in both our quilting activities and our world enhancing
friendships. We take into account those who are snippy because of
personal circumstances, whatever they are, and try to deal honestly with
all.

Had you come here and said, 'My mum is trying to raise some money for
something, and wants to know how best to go about selling her quilting
work. What would you recommend?' you would have been inundated with
excellent advice. She would have been steered towards ebay and other
selling points, offered advice about how to get her designs copyrighted
and published to sell, as patterns, kits, and books, both
electronically and in the 'real world', and advised about what sells
well and what doesn't. She would have been offered advice about how
best to advertise her things as well as wording for her ads. There are
folk here who have been in the business of selling stuff like this for
years, and who know just what works and what doesn't. As your mother
has been trying to sell the same item without success for a while now,
that is something she may well need help with. This is not to impugn
the quality of her work in any way, just to point out that bad
advertising and selling techniques are not going to sell anything, and
if what you say is true, it certainly isn't working so far. Being
ignorant of good selling techniques is no sin, and something that folk
here can correct if you ask nicely. Ignorance is bliss - we love a
chance to teach!

Occasionally we stretch a rule here or there for an established and
respected member, who might let us know that they have to off-load
something. They will not try to sell it directly here, but ask anyone
who is interested to contact them off the group for details (e.g. We are
moving to a house with far less storage space and I have 3 tons of
fabric and 23 treadle sewing machines to get rid of. Contact me if you
are interested, before I have a massive garage sale!). No notices of
eBay auctions, or that things are up on a marketplace site.
Occasionally someone will tell someone where to find an example of
something they know another person wants, and we are constantly swapping
information about where to find supplies and good books.

Sometimes someone will say, Hay, So'n'So - when's your new book out?
And the author will reply with the date and where it can be found. They
will only do this in reply to a request for that information. Again,
sometimes there will be a request for a particular fabric, and a store
will pop up with 'We have that in stock - contact me at ----', but they
will not advertise here, or at least, only once! You lose a LOT of
potential sales, advertising to news groups, and most sellers are wise
to this.

There are groups where some personal advertising is permitted (afr being
one), but they are the exception rather than the rule.

We do wish your mother well, in her fight with her weight, and there are
plenty folk here going through the same fight, and we wish her every
success in the sale of her work, BUT this is NOT the place to sell it.
We wish YOU well, too, and success in your chosen career. If you decide
not to return here, that must be your choice, and we respect that.
Personally I wish you wouldn't just vanish, as that defeats all our
intents. We wish to give you a better understanding of how this group
works and how it can help you. You got off to a bad start, and being
defensive about it doesn't help your case, but you can put things
right. ONLY you can put it right. You have been VERY gently treated
here, compared with the reception such an ad would have got in other
news groups I know of! I'll let you find them for yourself, as I have
no wish to revive the memories...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 8th 03, 01:21 PM
Kate Dicey

Joy Quilts wrote:

Zzzzzzzz. Thanks for remembering - tee hee! Most times my mind is asleep
when I'm awake! Yikes!

I know THAT one too! jeeperz, the number of times I've arrived
somewhere fully and correctly clad, with everything in tow to teach a
class, and no memory of how I got there!

At the moment with the heat I am suffering from fried brain cells! If I
am even less tactful than usual, I blame the heat!

Old August 8th 03, 02:13 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sharon:
Mazel Tov!! I am proud of you. Are you rewarding your success
with quilt books and fabric? You deserve it.

Now I have to leave for monthly Day Guild Meeting. We have to
bring 'Dogs' .... weird/funky/ugly projects. I have one to show
.... wonder if it will be voted "Least Likely to Get Into
Houston!"

LOL ... Have a great quilty day y'all! PAT in VA/USA

Sharon Harper wrote:

Okay, I'm going to step in here and reveal a secret - my starting weight at
WW. ...cut...
added up to going from a tight size 26 to a comfortable size 18 in six
months. And what's better - IT HASN'T COME BACK!!

Old August 8th 03, 06:08 PM
Butterfly

Karen, Queen of Squishies........lissen up,,,,,,we have a new Queen
Lets get the party rolling and have it ready for Red Queen to do the
proper ceremony.....
Butterfly (Tis Party time)

Kate Dicey wrote:
Elena wrote:

How about Queen of Polite Insistence and Very Big Teeth. LOL

Hi Kate!!

Elena

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message

I think we oughta elect Kate our official mouthpiece. (Can't come up with
an appropriate "queen of . . . " word.)
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message

Thank you Kate. PAT

I LIKE that!

Old August 8th 03, 07:18 PM
Queen of Squishies

Royal trumpeters, you stand here, and here. (whistle) hey! The red carpet
goes here. Is my crown straight? Punch bowl filled? Okay. Now everybody
settle down and we'll have the crowning. Then we can party hearty!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 8th 03, 07:56 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:35:31 GMT, CNYstitcher
wrote:

OKay now.....you have an apartment of your own and are attending
culinary classes.neither of which is cheap........sacrifice them both
for a while and use the money to help your mom! I know I said this in a
past post, but you said you are doing everything you can think of to
help.....if you still have the apartment and haven't taken a break from
college to help her, you haven't done everything.

This is what I was thinking.................WE do what we have to do

Also, there is another diet/fitness program I would like to suggest, and
it can be done by people with health issues - it's called Body For Life.
It involves changing your diet, weight training, and aerobic activity.
Now, I used it to lose weight after my first child and for aerobic
activity, I walked for 15 minutes to start with. For weights, I used
anything that I could find that was equal weight for each hand. The
food is healthy, but you don't eat 3 meals a day, you eat 6 small
meals....it works, it really works...something that you might want ot
think of.

Weight training is really helpful, and alot of people blow it off.
YOu use calories using wieghts as well.

Barb

Old August 8th 03, 08:09 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:14:19 -0500 (CDT), (The
HairyFacedOnes 'N Me) wrote:

I am disabled. I do not get around much. Therefore I am able to
maintain a perfectly healthy lifestyle on a balanced 600 to 800 calories
a day. A "normal" person could NOT live on my food intake, I agree.
You must adjust your intake and activity level for YOUR own lifestyle.
I sit in my chair and bounce my legs and wave my arms and anything I can
do to keep moving. That's MY work-out. We do what we can..... MY plans
WORKS (for ME)!!!

And after I posted that, I realized how it sounded.........I beg
forgiveness.

WE all do what works best for us. I am glad that you are trying to
move as much as possible thougu.

I used to be afraid to move because of my arthritis, and then I
realized that moving and lifting weights was what made it better and
put me back in the perfect game.

However, having begged I have to say that being a perfect size twelve
is not always necessary for health, or much of anything else. I do
realize that we have a weight issue these days, but I would say the
health issue is greater.

In my case i will always, thiis late in life, probabyly tip the scales
between eighteen and size twenty (us). But if I can do aerobics for an
horu three times a week, life weights three times a week (Im working
on it, not where I wnat to be yet)

Of course, I'd let you break my jaw and make me drink through a straw
before you staped my stomach - hehe.

Barb

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old August 8th 03, 08:13 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 11:36:35 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

There is only one way to weigh less: eat less and exercise.

I thought there was a secret formula (sorry, sorry_

the moment the exercise is very hard as the fibro hates the heat, so all
my joints are painful.

Yep, I wore sandals yesterday to work, and then couldnt get on my
tennie bobs and the end of the day to walk.

There is only one way to keep weigh off once we have lost it: a life
time of self discipline.

Have to agree witht his one, it has to be a lifestyle change, You can
start little. I dont "diet" for example, but being the cola addict I
am I made a pact that I would drink my eight glasses of water before I
had any soda each day............

Barb
Old August 8th 03, 08:21 PM
Cheyne

Okay let me try to rephrase this for you... so you understand what I
am saying.. when you sign up for any group.. via internet... You have
to click a button that says terms of agreement.. that means the rules
that comply with the web hosting company.. Your provider here would be
Google. Googles rules state that you MUST not spam MAIL everyone which
I did not do. I posted a post... where you can open it at your own
free will correct? No one forces you to click the mouse to read. As
far as soliciting, if I was soliciting, I would have come on here and
had speech prepared about the great new vacuum cleaner I could sell
you. I was offering a trade. One of your members.. who YES posts quite
frequently, but has yet to post any comments to this post log at all,
linked me to your site. I watch her sitting back being quite and I
dont even know the lady only her name. Yet you all respond frequently
to hers.. Who could it be? Maybe your terms and guidelines should be
more clear or you should have a mail sent out to new members about
what they can and cant do. I read nothing or saw nothing OTHER than
googles terms.

I wasnt asking for money.. I was stating, if anyone would like a quilt
block... maybe to help complete a quilt.. or for new flavor.. or
anything... OR if you could offer a kind word, gesture.. anything a
prayer.. that would be appreciated... but those words were over-looked
and I was shot down into the water.

I have gotten many great emails up until I got a nice letter from
CNYstitcher saying that I was an ignorant snotty little bitch last
night. Of course when words are thrown at me I will throw them back. I
didnt deserve them. Maybe I wasnt supposed to post here in the first
place.. or maybe I shouldnt have come here... but there could have
been better ways to approach the situation.... Like maybe Hi cheyne...
thanks for finding our site, although we would like for you to
continue posting here, we really cant offering anything to you, and we
ask that your posts not be asking for donations..
Was that hard.... did I get that?? or any decency? No... I was offered
the first post back... You would be trying to fool us now Cheyne would
you?? Or... sounds like a bunch of bULLOney to me... How can anyone
every feel welcomed in your group if thats how you treat them? With
disrespect... and then I offer some words to try and explain myself...
I dont know what else to do to proove myself... medical bills what???
No one still says you cant post this here... they tell me I am a liar,
trying to cheat someone... that I am ignorant.. that I am no child...
that I should give up school... get a second job... live at home...
dont make anything of myself... have you read this from beginning to
END???

IT ISNT until last night that someone finally said... hey... you know
what.... you shouldnt have posted this here... maybe trying to be
friendly... I give you credit for that.. Nice way to try and rectify
the situation but by then, blows had already been thrown... people
were already upset and my heart was still broken. You havent tried to
make me feel welcome... If anything I feel worse leaving this site
then when I got here. I ahve recieved a few wonderful emails that I
hold dear to me... But no one tried to step back for just ONE second
and see me... desperate looking for anything to help... I didnt shoot
your ideas down... I have kept a log book of everything.. but do
understand.. if a person is this desperate and offering to sell
everything they own just to see someones life better...they have
already probably tried to common answers like exercising. I am at a
loss for words.. I have been made to feel like the bad guy and I am
not... I just wanted to help my mom. I dont have much to hold onto and
I reahed for a group who I thought would help me... and let me cry on
their shoulder ... but I couldnt get that so I sit in my apartment
alone and devastated.. with no one..

I want to apologize to those people who had great things to say to me
via email.. and I want to apologize to those people who had to read my
post and were offended.. I will even apologize to those people who had
to read my last few angry letters... but I WILL not apologize to those
people who disrespected me, cut me down... or did anything but MAKE me
feel unwelcomed.. I dont appreciate getting emails from people who
dont have anything positive to say... and I especially like someone
coming back here and stating that I emailed her telling that her that
I held her blame for everything started here.. I wrote her back and
tried to remain calm.. but wrote the nasty things people had said to
me.. and asked her if that is how she would want to be treated.. She
totally changed the situation and believes calling me ignarant will
make her a better person... I'm glad you believe I had been very
gently treated here.. but that is far from the truth.. Peoples ugly
sides shown my direction and if you are threatening me as to removing
my name, whats the worst that could be done to me??? This group
already threw stones... you want to hurt me more??? gently is a term I
wouldnt use, I havent been fed any silver spoons, and after this
experience I dont know why anyone would want to be here and chance
themselves to this kind of experience where they fear someone will
talk bad about them in front of everyone else......

Thanks for the welcome.. Thanks for making me feel "good" about
myself... thanks for the help with my mother, the few who actually did
send a donation and offered prayers... God bless you.. Thank you so
much... :*(
Old August 8th 03, 08:25 PM
Cheyne

Sharon, I said my mother is A LOT more than 100 lbs overweight... I
have said it several times... she doesnt eat bread nor butter.... she
has tried all of those methods.. and they havent worked..

And my mom really does exist... Thanks for making me feel welcome to
your wonderful group..