Need help from quilters.. Heart Quilt Blocks in trade for donation please read!

Old August 10th 03, 05:11 AM
julia sidebottom

Thank you (all) for posting this valuable information.
I am chucking to myself right now as I looked over the charter
information. After so many years actively working (in the early years)
to get things moving I have set back and let all the changes go by me.
For the last several years I haven't even thought of the process of
setting up listservs or ng's, that is until this last day or so. I am
amused with myself on just how quickly I have forgotten all that went
into the process. It is good to know that I come by my retirement from
the formation processes honestly and can enjoy the fruits of the labor.
Even though we keep an active server going all the time with a 1/4th
bandwidth T1 line, I rarely even tinker with it any longer. It runs
itself with only occasional maintenance. (That was the maintenance that
kept me pretty busy the last couple weeks). Though it does seem for the
most part the only thing (DH excluded) that pull me away from my
quilting is the computers that still come in via friends and family to
be overhauled. The compiling of information any more takes to much
brain power. .
thanks again
juliasb
For me letting others take the reigns and plunge forward is great, it
has provided me the best opportunity of all. Now I have all the time I
want to quilt and quilt and quilt...

NightMist wrote:
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:07:17 -0400, julia sidebottom
wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

I think I'm bashing my head against a brick wall with this one. It
really doesn't matter what people said to you off the group - that's
quite irrelevant to my point. You made an error and trod on peoples
toes. You compounded the error with attempts to tell us we were wrong,
and we are not. The charter forbids advertising IN ANY FORM, and
offering thing for sale (that is, in exchange for money) is
advertising.

clipped gently

Kate what charter? Like I said earlier I have may not have the same
information on ng's as others. It would be nice that I am not totally
losing my mind. ???? thanks
juliasb

Certain hierarchies in the usenet require that a charter be written
for any newsgroup that requests to be added to that heirarchy.
There are probably some groups that grandfathered out of that, but
even there most of those have been renamed and probably chartered in
the process.

The rec heirarchy requires that newsgroups be chartered at their
formation, and did so in 1993 when this group was organized.
Ergo there is a charter, it was posted in another thread:

NAME: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
REPLACES: rec.crafts.quilting
CHARTER: [unchanged] This newsgroup is for discussing anything related

to quilting. That includes piecing, applique, and tyeing and quilting

by hand or machine. Discussions may cover techniques,
supplies,equipment, drafting of patterns, templates, dyeing materials,
artistic approaches, exhibitions, shows, books and other
references, mail order resources, dating quilts and
appraising
quilts.
Discussions may include quilts and quilting both past
(historical quilting) and present, ethnic quilting, quilts to be used
in
a home, quilted clothing to be worn, as well as quilts created
for display and any other piecing or quilting applications

Obviously (to me) written with just getting the group going in mind,
and counting on people behaving in a civilized fashion.
How optimistic of the author.

NightMist

Old August 10th 03, 05:55 AM
julia sidebottom

I for one am one of those who's health and medications have dictated
my weight. STEROIDS. Can't live with them and can't live without them.
Since there is no hope of ever being off them there is even less hope of
weight loss. sigh. So I quilt instead of being to concerned about it
anymore. Quilting is much more fun.
juliasb

Dr. Quilter wrote:
In our weekly lab meeting we have now this thing that is called 'out of
the box', when each member of the lab in turn is required to come up
wiht a subject of discussion that is not related to our work. Some
subject have been interesting and led to lively discussions, others have
tanked. One of the most succesful ones was 'obesity'. And while a lot of
people seem to think that fat people are all lacking in will and self
restraint, a small percentage of them do have serious health problems
that are the CAUSE of their obesity, not only consequences of it. For
that small percentage, diet and exercise, though they can never be bad
for you unless you go to extremes, don't really help, and more drastic
measures might be required.

gently snipped ....

Old August 10th 03, 07:11 AM
nzl*

ahhhhhh, so it is, doh, where is my brain today, thanks.
hugz,
jeanne*
off to work out a design
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....
| Sounds like you wanna do something along th elines of a Panamanian Mola.
| If I remember correctly, theirs are actuallly done with multiple
| layers of fabrics (different colors) but with black as the top layer,
| and then they cut through in the design that they want.....what color
| they want determines the number of layers they cut through.

| nzl* wrote:
|
| in the meantime i've been mulling over doing a sorta stained glass
hawaiian
| type block. i'm thinking...make a 14inch qst in two colours. then sew a
big
| piece of black over the front but just round the edges for stabilizing
the
| whole thing. then draw designs on the black, snip out the middle pieces
and
| reverse applique that black outta the way so the colours show thru.
geez, i
| hope thats clearly subtle enough or subltly clear enough even.

---

Old August 10th 03, 08:32 AM
Patti

Interesting thoughts Jeanne,
There is a lady whose wonderful quilting includes the kind of thing you
described. Her name is Dilys Fronks. I think she probably has a
website? You, of all people, will find it if there is one!!
Her wrought iron quilts are world famous, and she has written at least
one book about them. She makes black, 'wrought iron' patterns in black
just as you describe. She started with single pieces of floral fabric;
now she makes pieced backgrounds.
So, either will work; whatever you decide to do will be fine. Seams in
the background are completely ignored!! They are there , or not, as the
black design goes.
I'm sure you will love the effect. And you will probably enjoy the
actual doing - even if it might get a bit fiddly. Do a little baby one
first, perhaps? just to try. Seams underneath won't make a big
difference, because you can just 'catch' the top layer of the underneath
fabric.
Have fun!
..
In article , nzl*
writes
eh? me too subtle for you? well that must change immediately.
now then what can i do to change from being subtle.
ya know i'm fresh outta ideas today however i'd gladly accept any from
one and all and they'll not cost ya to send'em in.

in the meantime i've been mulling over doing a sorta stained glass hawaiian
type block. i'm thinking...make a 14inch qst in two colours. then sew a big
piece of black over the front but just round the edges for stabilizing the
whole thing. then draw designs on the black, snip out the middle pieces and
reverse applique that black outta the way so the colours show thru. geez, i
hope thats clearly subtle enough or subltly clear enough even.

with the quarters in two colours opposite one another...
do i do two different designs as well or just the same in all quadrants.
decisions, decisions.

another thot i had was to start sewing all my lovely scraps from all round
the rctq world and then with black over them just randomly reverse applique
some design as the mood takes me. oh must be careful i dont have seams
showing thru, that would look so tacky.
all your thoughts would be much appreciated.
did i not consider some essential ingredient?
you got some other ideas re similar project?
come on folks put yer thunking (sic) caps on please.
hugz to the bestest ng in the world.
jeanne*

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 10th 03, 08:40 AM
Flossy

Would you like to show me the law of contract that states that one
enters a legally binding contract with whoever sends anything by
whatever means, physical or electronic, merely by opening it?

I so hope this isnt the case else Ive got a Russian Bride on the way and
I dont think I want or need one.......Will I be able to send her back?
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://photos.yahoo.com/flossy3353

Old August 10th 03, 02:12 PM
Kate Dicey

Charlie wrote:

Tell me about it! My attendance record at school was around just over 3/4
because one week a month I would be in so much pain I would be in bed! My
mum took me to the doc eventually when I just passed out from the pain once
and he put me on the pill at 14! Everything was good, my attendance was
almost perfect! My dosage was upped to a different one two months ago
because the pain came back a bit and now I@m going to try an almost dairy
free diet (except for cream, and I won't go out of my way to not eat things
like cakes or milk in my tea!). Oooh, Kate, if you have any great dairy
free recipes that you're willing to share and don't take a lot of typing I'd
love to have them - I'm compiling myself a cook book. I loved your soup
idea of getting the spoon to stand up, I tried it with leek and potato and
it was wonderful! BF loved it!

Charlie.

Ha! Boarding school did NOT up my attendance in this respect! I was
eventually put on the pill because it was affecting my A level studies.
These days I have a plastic insert that released progesterone in the one
spot: lasts for 5 years. It hasn't cured it, BUT I no longer have 9 day
wonders, floods and throwing up/fainting/dizzy spells, etc, and my
temper is better (except this week, when I blame the weather!).

I have about 200 cookbooks - there MUST be a dairy free recipe or two in
there! Would you like meaty ones, veggie ones, puddings? Let me know,
and I'll scan a few in and get DH to convert them to text files so they
take up less space.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 10th 03, 02:15 PM
Kate Dicey

Flossy wrote:

Would you like to show me the law of contract that states that one
enters a legally binding contract with whoever sends anything by
whatever means, physical or electronic, merely by opening it?

I so hope this isnt the case else Ive got a Russian Bride on the way and
I dont think I want or need one.......Will I be able to send her back?
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://photos.yahoo.com/flossy3353

Oooo! I'm jealous! *I* haven't got one of them yet! I did get an
offer of a lesbian slave, but she wasn't very decorative, so I didn't
bother... I think a Russian bride might be a little more respectable,
don't you?

As happily married women, I do wonder what we are expected to do with
these folk when they arrive!

Old August 10th 03, 03:59 PM
Nurse Ratched

I so hope this isnt the case else Ive got a Russian Bride on the way
and
I dont think I want or need one.......Will I be able to send her back?

No, no, Flossy--that's where you're wrong! EVERY woman needs a WIFE, to do for
us the kinds of things we do for our husbands. If she actually shows up, keep
her!!!

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn
Old August 10th 03, 05:26 PM
Judy Grevenites

Flossy, if your Russian bride does housework you can send her on to me!!
RedQueen

Old August 10th 03, 06:58 PM
Flossy

Flossy, if your Russian bride does housework you can send her on to me!!
RedQueen

If she does housework she aint going nowhere !!