Tooting my horn a little (on topic)

Old July 26th 03, 04:02 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

"Butterfly" wrote in message
And she is not afraid to take you to teh GOODEST LQS's neither : )
Butterfly (still awiating the next trip there : )

Well, she better get ready. I went so far as to READ the MANUAL, and figured
out how to import the RCTQ Directory (with addresses appropriately flagged,
so I don't accidentally give them out) into Outlook, which has now sync'ed
up with my PDA. If you are in the directory, you're with me 24/7! Bwah hah
hah hah!!!!!

(I even have all your fabric fav's in my PDA with your address, just in case
I'm inspired while I'm on the road! *evil grin*)

This sounds like it could really be fun -- can I help you find something
for someone? Are you coming back *soon*? g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old July 26th 03, 05:04 AM
Elena

That all made sense! I have the same set up. (XP and Outlook 2002) I had
already saved the file as .txt ( text ) and imported it to Excel, trying to
sort it by birthdays.

I had to go back and "name the range" in the Excel file first.
Then I mapped the Favs and Dislikes into User 1 and User 2 fields, but I
think I might try and redo it because I can't see either of those fields
when I open the contact.
Now what good is that?

Thank you again for your directions!

Elena, staying up late to figure it out.

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
y.com...

"Elena" wrote in message
Ohhh Teach ME O Wise one!

Here, take my fabric as well! giggles
I would LOVE to know how you did this? Especially the flagging part. I
have an 'rctq' category for those in my contact list already. You could
reply off group if you'd rather.

What? Reply off group and risk missing out on some other grateful soul
hurling fabric at me in thanks???

Here's what I did. (I'm using Windows XP Professional and Office XP

(2002).
Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Also I got the directory in
table format.)

When I opened up the directory, it opened in Word, but I didn't see a way

import Word into Outlook contacts. However, I did see a way to import

Excel
into Outlook, and I knew how to go from Word to Excel. I selected all the
columns of the table in Word, and did Table - Convert - Table to Text.
That put the table into a tab delimited file, which I saved as plain text.
(with a slightly different name in case I made a mess of it, not that THAT
has ever happened!)

Then I opened Excel and opened the plain text file. Excel asked me if I
wanted to convert it, and I followed the steps. I think everything was
default -- pretty simple, even if you've never done it. I cleaned up the
file a little, and saved it as an Excel file, again with a slightly
different name.

Then I opened up Outlook, went to the File menu, and choose Import and
Export. Outlook walks you through the steps -- I imported everyone into a
new folder in my contacts folder, and did a custom import so I could make
sure all the fields got mapped to where I wanted. (For example, Outlook
didn't have a clue where to put the screen names.) Once everyone was in, I
selected everyone in that folder, said the category was RCTQ, and then

moved
you all into my main folder, since that's the only one that will sync up
with my PDA. Took all of 10 minutes to do, including reading the manual.

I still have the Excel file, and since you're in the directory, I'd be

glad
to email it as an attachment if you think that would help you out.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old July 26th 03, 03:54 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

This sounds like it could really be fun -- can I help you find something
for someone? Are you coming back *soon*? g

Well, when's the best time for wildflowers at Red Rock? *grin*

Old July 26th 03, 04:04 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Elena" wrote in message
That all made sense! I have the same set up. (XP and Outlook 2002) I had
already saved the file as .txt ( text ) and imported it to Excel, trying

sort it by birthdays.

snip
Thank you again for your directions!

You're welcome!

Old July 26th 03, 04:54 PM
taria

Has there ever been a good sized meet up in Vegas? Seems
like it is such an easy place for many of us to get to.
Taria

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

This sounds like it could really be fun -- can I help you find something
for someone? Are you coming back *soon*? g

Well, when's the best time for wildflowers at Red Rock? *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old July 26th 03, 08:01 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

This sounds like it could really be fun -- can I help you find something
for someone? Are you coming back *soon*? g

Well, when's the best time for wildflowers at Red Rock? *grin*

Probably in the spring, though I'm not absolutely sure about that....

Old July 26th 03, 08:02 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
taria wrote:

Has there ever been a good sized meet up in Vegas? Seems
like it is such an easy place for many of us to get to.
Taria

Wow! What a good idea! You're right, Taria -- it's in relatively easy
driving distance from many places, and planes fly here for literally
anywhere. When does everyone want to come?

Old July 26th 03, 08:55 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

This sounds like it could really be fun -- can I help you find

something
for someone? Are you coming back *soon*? g

Well, when's the best time for wildflowers at Red Rock? *grin*

Probably in the spring, though I'm not absolutely sure about that....

Well, sheesh! Even *I* could figure that much out! ROFLOL

Old July 26th 03, 11:09 PM
Donna in Idaho

Be sure & let me know! Good excuse to go visit my DGD who will be living
with her other Grandmother while going to UNLV.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

taria wrote:

Has there ever been a good sized meet up in Vegas? Seems
like it is such an easy place for many of us to get to.
Taria

Wow! What a good idea! You're right, Taria -- it's in relatively easy
driving distance from many places, and planes fly here for literally
anywhere. When does everyone want to come?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster

AD, OT and On Topic - many posts in one! (long) Kandice Seeber Beads 33 July 11th 04 01:33 AM
Do Banner Ads Work? On topic. Lori Greenberg Beads 4 June 11th 04 12:22 AM
Tooting my own horn starlia Beads 7 February 4th 04 04:26 PM
salvaging flux plus an off topic question or 2 Jerry Jewelry 3 December 28th 03 06:32 AM
fun topic: needlework retreats... Stitch Lady Needlework 1 July 30th 03 04:23 PM