Hand sewn or sewing machine?

Old July 17th 03, 11:41 PM
Elena

Totally. You'd have to stay an extra two weeks just to get me over it.
*BG*

Elena
PS, ya want purple onions to go with those yeller ones?
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
I dont see why not! The hard part is going to be collecting all those

onion
skins for dyeing. Maybe this project is a bit over my head. Would you be
offended if I showed up with a cheater panel quilt, tied, and a jug of
lemonade instead? lol I can still make you comatose other ways.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Elena" wrote in message
Ermm.. well.. okay. Can't argue with that.
Need any help on Butterfly's? LOL

Elena mmmmmm comatose.... sounds good...This quilt WILL come with you to
housekeep for a week or two, won't it? Not much cleaning, just chase

the
kids and dog, and the rocking chair out on the patio needs sitting in

for
awhile. Quilting studio readily shared. You can even have my
scrap..errr...stash if I get a quilt out of it.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Ok....
scribble, scribble, scratch.... (pen noises dontcha know)
Butterfly, Then Elena... who is next?
Sorry Elena but need comes before want...
Diana
Hurry up meds and sort yourself out, we need out Bfly well and

flittin'
about here!

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Butterfly" wrote in message
Her name comes AFTER mine
I *NEED* comatose right now.......
Butterfly (big changes in meds--bod is not adjusting well--just

wants
SLEEEEEEEPPPPPPP)

Diana Curtis wrote:
No, really, I coudnt do that to you. This quilt will be packed to

the
gunwales with love, I mean it will be oozing from every hand

stitched
seam,
it will be positively squooshy with love and the swoon would last

fornight
at least. Think how that would cut into your quilting time!
And therein lies the problem. Anyone I would love enough to make

such
quilt for I would also love to much to put them through two weeks

of
comatose nature. Such a moral dilema....
But, if I ever do, your name is top on the list.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Elena" wrote in message

Woohoo! You have my snail for this one, right? *grins*

Elena in Tx, who has picked cotton before and has a nice comfy

chair
into
which to swoon.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in

message
. ..

Dont tell me that you *buy* your fabric?? Dont you know that

fabric
you

make

yourself makes the quilt more special? Printing the designs in

the

fabric

yourself means more love too... and then you must grow your own
cotton..right?

Diana, going out to the back 40 to plant the cotton which she

will
weave
into cloth and dye with onions skins from onions which she grew

herself

and

then on to the cotton gin so she can make her own batt, so that

when

this

quilt is done it will be so chock full of love that the recipient

will

fall

over in a dead swoon when they get it.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Marijke" wrote (and I would snip but it all makes so much

sense)

DON'T FEEL LIKE THAT!!
Sorry for yelling (well, not really but anything to get your

attention).

Quilting began by women piecing together pieces of scrap

fabrics,
old
clothing and sac cloths out of necessity. That is where the joy

and

beauty

of quilting began. They'd be aghast at some of the snobbery that

lives

in

the craft world these days.

NEVER, EVER be ashamed of where you buy your fabric or how you

put

YOUR

quilts together.

There are NO quilt police. There are always judgemental people

who

will

tell

others that they aren't good enough parents (gasp, my kids drink

cola),

or

your house isn't clean enough (you mean you DON'T clean your

walls

every

week?) or your kids aren't doing well enough in school (what do

you

mean

you

don't force them to do math four hours a day??), or your car

isn't
new
enough.......you get my drift. Just as there are people like

that,

there

are

those who sniff at anything less than what they would do. You

know

what

do about those people? IGNORE THEM.

You sound like me. We quilt because we love it. It's soothing,

it's

relaxing

(well, it's relaxing when it's going well and you're not pulling

out

your

hair and chewing up your lips because a pattern isn't going well

or

the

stupid post office lost a quilt....), we love the beauty and the

work

that

goes into making such lovely products.

I really wish you would share your finds, your methods and all

stuff

like

that. Even us experienced quilters can learn from beginners

and -
we

may

even be reminded of what it was like when we first began.

Did I get through to you? grin YOUR quilts, YOUR choices are

just

as

good

as anyone else's here.

Off soapbox now before I fall off,
Marijke

Old July 18th 03, 12:04 AM
julia sidebottom

Hello Roberta,
Have no fear, I don't have an expensive sewing machine either and I
can do what ever I want with it. I have only ever purchased 1 sewing
machine and that was about 8 years ago after the one I found 'dumpter -
diving'. That machine was already well than 20 years old and I used it
for another 15 years or so, until the crank shaft deteriorated. The only
other machine I have is my treadle and I paid $3.00 for it... and I have
never spent more than $6.00 a yard for a piece of fabric. Garage sales
and Estate sales are great for finding fabrics. I did pay $1.00 for 40
yards of fabric once at a garage sale. Made a big addition to my
stash. In recent years I purchased a great deal of fabric when our
local JAF went out of business. The sales were unbelievable!
I do hand piece on my more expensive fabrics. Like my reproduction
fabrics. Though I do a lot of hand piecing when working on scrap
quilts.
fortunately there is a time and place for each.
Glad to know your are sticking around here.
juliasb

Roberta wrote:

Thank you Pat (and everyone else that replied to this thread) I love this
group and have gotten so many great ideas but I really was just a keystroke
away from unsubscribing because I just kept feeling like I'd never live up
to $10.00 a yard, $7000 sewing machine 20 years to quilt a project
expectations. And being to embarrassed to share what I do just defeats the
purpose...

Now that I know that there are enough people that DON'T feel that way I
figure I'll stick around awhile (at least long enough to get on the next
address list in six months so that I may squish all of you that made me feel
like I should stay)

Roberta in MD

In ,
Pat in Virginia typed:
Roberta:
"Almost" ?? .... well that's better than a flat no I guess! But
not as good as a quilt in the mail!

Now listen here young lady! WHO said you are an outsider to this
group?? Aren't you the Roberta who's been here a month or two?
The Roberta in Maryland? We know you now girl ... maybe you are a
relative newbie, but you are NOT an outsider. In fact you are
practically my neighbor!! If you come to the MAQF in Williamsburg
VA in February I hope to meet you at the RCTQ get together.
(Assuming we all avoid flu and snow next time!)

As a relative newbie, did you remember to send 1-2 lb.. chocolate
to be vetted? Just send it to my Palace in Virginia and I'll
report back to you. You want to make sure you have the good kind,
right?

PAT, Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ

Roberta wrote:

For your comment Pat I'd almost send ya a quilt ;0)

It is nice to know that there are people that are less judgmental
out there.

As an outsider to this group and a new quilter I have to say...I
would never feel comfortable posting where I buy fabric, what kind
of sewing machine I just bought or how I intend to quilt my
projects. I do get a lot from reading suggestions and links to
sales. I also love to look at all of the beautiful quilts and
quilts in progress.

Roberta

--

** When responding in email please put in subject line RCTQ *** this
will insure the mail will go to the right box ****

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
.... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com
Old July 18th 03, 12:57 AM
Diana Curtis

No, people seem to actually like me. BG
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Barbara Bomberger" ...
ARe you like - the Martha Stewart of Quilting?

Old July 19th 03, 02:24 PM

Good for you, Roberta. We welcome you and will squish you, too, if you
privately email your snail mail addy. Nancycog in MD (the Eastern shore
part)