Solder properties? Irons?

Old May 24th 04, 05:46 PM
Andy

"jk" wrote in message . net...
"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
om...
. As was the more recent bunkum
that lead heated to 800 degrees created a vapourized lead that could
be inhaled.
Ya gotta eat it to get into ya.

Where do you get this stuff Dennis, comic books? Of course you get lead
poisoning via lead fumes. That's an undisputed fact. Do you actually do
much soldering without a fume mask? Are you old enough to remember auto
mechanics getting lead in the bloodstream via inhaling fumes pre lead free
gas? I had a mechanic friend who was afflicted twice, and had a hell of a
time getting it back to normal. I had an elevated lead level, and reduced
it to a normal range by wearing a fume mask.

Interesting...being that lead doesn't vaporize to fumes till around
2000 degrees. The fumes from soldering are from the flux. Perhaps your
elevated levels are coming from something else?

Andy
Old May 24th 04, 07:18 PM
Moonraker

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
"jk" wrote in message

[...]

According to the guru at CDC......

"Their" theory is that minisicule droplets of molten lead are carried
upwards in the "smoke" from the flux, similar, I guess to burning embers
being carried up in the smoke of a big fire.

Old May 25th 04, 12:54 AM
Dennis Brady

So far nobody has been able to validify that "theory". Odd, because
proving it would be as simple as collecting the vapour and measuring
its lead content.

It's especially odd this "theory" still floats around considering
metallurgists insist it's impossible to vapourize lead at the
temperatures we work at. Some myths live forever.
Old May 25th 04, 03:51 AM
Moonraker

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
om...
So far nobody has been able to validify that "theory". Odd, because
proving it would be as simple as collecting the vapour and measuring
its lead content.

It's especially odd this "theory" still floats around considering
metallurgists insist it's impossible to vapourize lead at the
temperatures we work at. Some myths live forever.

Frankly, I'd much rather put my faith in CDC's lead abatement and
occupational health people than anything you have to say on the subject.
These are people with a hell of a lot more education, experience, and common
sense than you display.

Old May 25th 04, 04:47 AM
Michele Blank

y'know, i find myself answering my phone with nasty leaded fingers and
leaving it laying about the work table and then find that same phone in my
living room, kitchen, etc. I have just begun including the daily cleaning of
the phone in my studio to residence cleaning regimen.just a thought. m

Old May 25th 04, 01:00 PM
Moonraker

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
y'know, i find myself answering my phone with nasty leaded fingers and
leaving it laying about the work table and then find that same phone in my
living room, kitchen, etc. I have just begun including the daily cleaning

of
the phone in my studio to residence cleaning regimen.just a thought. m

Are you walking back and forth from shop to house with the same shoes on?
Wearing work clothes and flopping down on the bed for a snooze?

Old May 25th 04, 03:40 PM
Michele Blank

no. i take my flip flops off before going into the house (Hawaiian style).i
use a leather work apron, but i still change clothes.m

Old May 25th 04, 04:22 PM
jk

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
om...
So far nobody has been able to validify that "theory". Odd, because
proving it would be as simple as collecting the vapour and measuring
its lead content.

It's especially odd this "theory" still floats around considering
metallurgists insist it's impossible to vapourize lead at the
temperatures we work at. Some myths live forever.

When I solder without a mask on, I can feel those lead fumes getting
sucked up into my lungs. It's not exactly an odor, but a heavy choking
quality that's hard to explain. I use wimpy fluxes, so I don't think that's
the culprit. Like I said, I had elevated lead levels, until I started
wearing a mask regularly, and have watched them slowly drop every year. How
many of you out there actually do soldering yourselves every day without a
fume mask, and have your levels checked regularly?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old May 25th 04, 09:36 PM
Moonraker

You solder with flip-flops on? That oughta be cute when a big 'ol drop of
hot solder lands on your tootsies.

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
no. i take my flip flops off before going into the house (Hawaiian

style).i
use a leather work apron, but i still change clothes.m

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"Michele Blank" wrote in

message

Old May 25th 04, 11:22 PM
Michele Blank

yeah, i'm a great dancer. Conversely( hehe) when it does land, i can get it
off quickly, not like when it melts through the shoe and attaches itself to
your skin.I actually get more burns (and cuts) in the kitchen than i do in
the studio but that's another thread.m

"Moonraker" wrote in message
You solder with flip-flops on? That oughta be cute when a big 'ol drop

of
hot solder lands on your tootsies.

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
no. i take my flip flops off before going into the house (Hawaiian

style).i
use a leather work apron, but i still change clothes.m

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"Michele Blank" wrote in

message
y'know, i find myself answering my phone with nasty leaded fingers

and
leaving it laying about the work table and then find that same phone

in
my
living room, kitchen, etc. I have just begun including the daily

cleaning
of
the phone in my studio to residence cleaning regimen.just a thought.

Are you walking back and forth from shop to house with the same shoes

on?
Wearing work clothes and flopping down on the bed for a snooze?

Healing properties of gemstones Su/Cutworks Beads 13 December 23rd 04 04:23 AM
Whaddya callit? Moonraker Glass 25 March 19th 04 03:44 AM
solder not adhering to lead M. Paradis Glass 1 November 19th 03 11:54 PM
Slide Pendant Lisa Beads 34 September 9th 03 12:28 AM
Copper-colored solder? David Blood-Deschamps Glass 4 July 27th 03 08:31 PM