OT fire extinguishers?

Old June 30th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Default OT fire extinguishers?

I'm sitting here trying to remember my fire training, worked in a coal
fired power station for 9 years, we did training every year. We used
"purple K" extinguishers. BUT, for the home an extinguisher marked 1,
2, 3 is recommended, it is good for all applications. Don't use water
on a grease fire. A box of baking soda will put out a small oven fire,
don't ask me how I know. The pizza was ruined! A clean oven prevents
oven fires. AND, the baking soda has to be sprinkled out of the box
not left in the box.
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:31:09 -0700 (PDT), "Kate T."
wrote:

Hey Polly

All fire extinguishers are not the same. They made for specific types
of fires. Electrical, grease, wood, paper, etc. So check which ones
you need, because the wrong extinguisher will not work. Check with
your local volunteer fire dept and have them check out your property
and for recommendations as to what ones you need and where to put
them.

kate T. South Mississippi

Old June 30th 10, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

MIL lives in a retirement community, has now moved from independent
living to assisted living. She has had that info in a jar in
refrigerator since day one in the community, it's one of the rules.

Her doctor gave her a medical directive paper to be filled out and she
asked us to help her with it. She is 90 years old, suffers from a
failing heart, a hip/leg that no longer works, fingers that suffer
from neuropathy (don't work all of the time), she uses an electric
chair (Jazzy), must wear Depends all of the time, and has dietary
limitations. On the plus side she e-mails friends and family, uses
Skype to talk with son and daughter, and goes on outings with the
group and friends.

Her daughter lives in Victoria, B.C. and visits 2/3 times per year. We
make the 6 hr. round trip once a month. She wouldn't live with her
children, she took care of her MIL and the paid for the nursing home
when it was needed. She and Pop made sure that they had enough savings
to support them until the end, there will even be a lot left over. She
will never be a burden to her children.

It's hard.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:24:39 +0100, Sally Swindells
wrote:

We have a good system here. On the front door you have a little sticker,
on the fridge door a similar sticker, and inside the fridge in the door
a little screwtop jar containing a paper with your name, next of kin,
medications, pets etc. etc.

When the emergency services arrive they know that the info. will be in
the jar in the fridge door. (fridges apparently survive fire).

When the scheme first started a few years ago I was on the publicity
stall in the High Street. Despite the fact that they were free, it
amazed me how many people didn't want them - and this in a town with an
above average number of older people.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Roberta wrote:
One thing we do for newcomers to Germany is a sheet with all the
useful sentences in German. But it would work for anybody: when you
are in panic mode, you can forget your own name. so the sheet has you
write down your name, address etc, all the emergency numbers, and a
list of the things you need to tell your rescuers. Make several
copies, one by each phone, one in each car.
Roberta in D

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:17:50 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

In the dozen years since we've been in the Swamp, there have been 3 home
fires. This area is so remote that all the fire department can do mostly is
bring sympathy cards.
Back when I was gainfully employed we used to have fire drills and
(better yet) lessons from the fire guys to teach us how to use a fire
extinguisher. They actually set the statue of General Somebody ablaze out in
the courthouse front lawn and gave everybody a turn at putting him out.
At the time, I was too little to even lift the fire extinguisher down
from its mount. Couldn't possibly have carried it to a fire.
It always delights and comforts me about the far-ranging expertise of
our quilting group. Anybody know anything about being prepared for a fire?
(And I will tolerate no smart 'coming from afar' quips.) I really need to
get / know how to be prepared. So do you. Polly

Old June 30th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Are refrigerators and freezers different? Well. Sure. I know the
difference. But - there's one down the road from us cooked until it is only
a black twisted sort of cabinet thing. That fire included several gas
vehicles as well as 2 or 3 propane grills. That fire may have been hotter
(?) than an ordinary house fire. Or not. Just wondering. Polly

Old June 30th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jun 30, 2:41*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Are refrigerators and freezers different? *Well. Sure. *I know the
difference. *But - there's one down the road from us cooked until it is only
a black twisted sort of cabinet thing. *That fire included several gas
vehicles as well as 2 or 3 propane grills. *That fire may have been hotter
(?) than an ordinary house fire. *Or not. *Just wondering. *Polly

You just never know, Polly. Get a safe. (They're cheaper than a
refrigerator anyway...)
A safe deposit box at a bank is probably ok too - ...unless you live
over/under the bank.
Just more of a hassle (I have no idea about the expense vs. a fire-
rated safe.)
Old June 30th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I don't think I would trust a fridge. I keep a fire box at the house here
but don't leave anything but papers on the off chance some robber finds it.
We have a bank safe deposit box. Cost is $18 a year. (senior rate) It is
not large but good for papers and a bit of jewelry. We got robbed in San
Diego years ago and since then I don't much fuss with jewerly anymore. How
can anyone steal religious medals I always wondered. I hope that rotten
theif rots in hell. I think we have older photo negatives stored at my
folks house. When the big fires came through here a few years ago one of the
professors dd knew had stuff at the school and off site at home. Those
fires were huge. Turned out both the school and his home burned and he lost
a lot of data on computers and physical stuff. Sometimes you just can't
guess how bad things will get. Being prepared helps but sometimes the
universe works against you.
Taria

Old June 30th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I don't think I would trust a fridge. I keep a fire box at the house here
but don't leave anything but papers on the off chance some robber finds it.
We have a bank safe deposit box. Cost is $18 a year. (senior rate) It is
not large but good for papers and a bit of jewelry. We got robbed in San
Diego years ago and since then I don't much fuss with jewelry anymore. How
can anyone steal religious medals I always wondered. I hope that rotten
thief rots in hell. I think we have older photo negatives stored at my

Old June 30th 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I've always thought the info in the fridge was more for ambulance/police
than for fire info. If the ambulance gets called and you're not
conscious, the info in the fridge will give them some helpful info.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old July 1st 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Default OT (Dry chemical) fire extinguishers

You very likely have a dry chemical extinguisher, the same one that's
been stashed wherever for years. You might even have checked to see if
the pressure is still in the green zone.

They need one more type of attention every year or so.

Pick it up, and turn it upside down. Listen carefully, and you'll hear
the sound of the powder falling inside. It settles into a lump over time
and needs to be loosened up so it'll flow when needed.
Liz
Old July 1st 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jun 30, 5:46*pm, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
I've always thought the info in the fridge was more for ambulance/police
* than for fire info.

It is. I made a joke, and some folks read more into it than was
actually there.
Old July 1st 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, If they could find anything like a certain jar in my fridge they
probably would be psychic and not need to find the jar. Same for most
fridges I have seen.

It is really odd to see wacky stuff that is left after a house fire. (or
wild fire that gets a house) Some folks we know that lost a house in the
early 60's had all lost but a tricycle that was left out. They built the
new house in that spot and the new house has stood through a lot of wild
fires in the area. You can make an educated guess (or just a guess) and
hope for the best. They now have a pool with a pump for firefighting too.
A little too rustic for me!

FIRE!! Christina Peterson Beads 9 June 30th 08 07:16 AM
OT Way OT - Fire in the sky Cats Quilting 22 July 22nd 06 03:35 PM
Fire & Ice in TC anyone? gwacie Beads 2 May 17th 05 11:00 PM
OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM
Another fire - not me frood Quilting 25 April 14th 04 02:56 AM