OT for Lia and other spellers

Old October 17th 05, 06:24 PM
CNY/VAstitcher

Default OT for Lia and other spellers

Same here, Phyllis. And it amazes me that people are so shocked ot hear
a 5yo and a 2yo say thank you, please, you're welcome, and excuse me. I
guess there are only a few of us left in the world....I think the
disappearance of manners is a sad sad commentary on the world today sigh

Larisa, avoiding balancing the checkbook by rambling

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:
After mommy and daddy, please and thank you were the first words taught
to all my children.

melinda wrote:

DS asks for things with please, most of the time, and we're slowly
getting
him to thank you as well! He's turning out to be a well behaved and good
mannered little boy.

Old October 17th 05, 06:25 PM
KJ

I've often thought Ya'll was a very useful word. When I moved South from
the midwest, I got teased for using "you guys" as a plural. If there was a
group of girls, they were offended!

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
... as articulated in the south "Ya'll" = plural of you ... when referring
to any number of people. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"WitchyStitcher" wrote in message
news
When I taught HS, the teacher I shared a room with had a rather
gruesome picture of a kid standing over his mother with the caption,
"I'll have to axe my mother."

An interesting aside I learned in a linguistics class:

The use of the word Yous (as in: Yous are going to be quilting this
afternoon) in NYC, particularly Brooklyn came about because of the
large numbers of European immigrants from countries that had both
singular and plural forms of the word "YOU". As they were learning
English, they could not internalize the idea that "YOU" in English
could be both singular and plural.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On 16 Oct 2005 11:06:13 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

More here that is used today...and I noticed that axe is there...
still used in NE England apparently.

Old October 17th 05, 06:34 PM
Taria

I don't think it is so unusual. The problem is pushy kids are often the
ones we deal with or remember. I know lots of kids of a variety of ages
with good manners. Don't give up hope they are still out there.
Taria

Old October 17th 05, 07:46 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

My husband thanked me for anything I did for him since day one; cook
breakfast, pack his lunch, bring him a glass of water, he always thanked
me. We both do it and I credit some of our happiness to it. Last year
he had a stroke, and although it wasn't as debilitating as it could have
been, one thing he "forgot" was that he had always said please and thank
you. After three or four weeks, I reminded him and he started again.
The stroke made him forget several things (but some he refused to admit to).

Jan wrote:
Jess says yes please, no thanks and all sorts of politeness.... but then
that's the way Art and I treat each other..... teach by example.... we
never told her to say it, she just does as she sees.....

Jan

Old October 17th 05, 11:51 PM
WitchyStitcher

I have to say that I have the most wonderfully polite students this
year. I teach small group instruction and whenever my 5th grade class
leaves, they always - to the kid - say, "Thank you for helping me."

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old October 18th 05, 04:14 AM
melinda

Mika wrote:
I think posting in the newsgroup is the exception to the rule Melinda. I get
in a hurry at times and add a space where one shouldn't be or hit the send
button before I've proofed my post and have some misspelled words. And my
spell checker does work on newsgroup posts. But it isn't foolproof. Unless
someone runs sentences together without punctuation or have so many
misspelled words that it makes for difficult reading, I usually don't pay
any attention to grammatical or spelling errors in ng posts. What bothers me
is when someone writes a letter or a legal document or whatever that has
errors and then they blame it on the spell checker or grammar checker.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

That, if it occurs frequently, would be rather jarring, very disturbing
to flow of reading.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 22nd 05, 04:13 AM
DrQuilter

sofi knows them, but prefers the "I WANT THAT!!!"... ehem....

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

After mommy and daddy, please and thank you were the first words taught
to all my children.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)