Focus on Design: Jacob's Ladder

Old September 28th 05, 10:14 PM
Pat in Virginia

The secondary designs built around the sashing really add a new
dimension to this old favorite block. Well done, Kim.
PAT in VA/USA

KI Graham wrote:
The discussion has given me the push I needed to add the photo of my latest
quilt to my gallery: Vroom! is a different scrappy take on Jacob's Ladder
destined for my 10 year old nephew:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...jacobvroom.htm

If anyone is interested, I can probably mount the pages from my powerpoint
presentation on Jacob's ladder....I run it while I demo quick-piecing this
block starting with a stack of 5" squares.

Old September 29th 05, 02:38 AM
melinda

Polly Esther wrote:
I would love to see a picture of one done very scrappy. Making a quilt with
just two or three fabrics would take more discipline that I possess. Polly

I've made a scrappy version, even if the triangle units got turned around
in some places
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol/costume.html
just click on the pictures to see a bigger, clearer picture.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 29th 05, 04:00 AM
Nann Hilyard

I like to see the Q'Cache blocks made up -- especially when
someone has made an entire quilt. Here's a particularly
nice version of a very scrappy JL:
http://www.quilterscache.com/images12/danasscrappJL.jpg

Nann

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
news9o_e.6761$GK2.367@lakeread07...
Focus on Design Feature has been on vacation this summer. Time to
bring it back!! For the newbies, Focus on Design is my
every-once-in-awhile posting to start discussion on a specific
pattern or style. Let's keep to the designated topic, please.
This is not the time to discuss chocolate (really!!) nor is it
the time to wander off into social issues or movie stars. Save
all that for another thread, thankyouverymuch!!

Okay, now let's open the discussion on a popular traditional
block, Jacob's Ladder Block. I have made this block in graphic
solids. The triangles and background squares are white or black,
alternating between blocks. The 'chain' squares are the colors of
m&m's candy! I need to add borders, and finish this twin size
project. It is bold and cheery. Has anyone else made a Jacob's
Ladder quilt? Need a block diagram? Here is one version:
http://www.quilterscache.com/J_L/JacobsLadderBlock.html

TTFN, PAT in VA/USA

Old September 29th 05, 05:09 AM
Trixie

This one off the Quilter's Cache site is just darling:

http://www.quilterscache.com/images1...cobsLadder.jpg

Trixie

Old September 29th 05, 08:29 AM
Roberta Zollner

Love it! Good border too, except I would have had the geese flying around in
a circle. Does one still call them geese if they aren't 45 degrees?
Roberta in D

Old September 29th 05, 01:24 PM
Pat in Virginia

Yeah, those are the pregnant geese.
PAT

Old September 29th 05, 04:36 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ooh! Looks good with sashing!
Roberta in D

"KI Graham" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The discussion has given me the push I needed to add the photo of my
latest quilt to my gallery: Vroom! is a different scrappy take on Jacob's
Ladder destined for my 10 year old nephew:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...jacobvroom.htm

If anyone is interested, I can probably mount the pages from my powerpoint
presentation on Jacob's ladder....I run it while I demo quick-piecing this
block starting with a stack of 5" squares.
--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old September 30th 05, 06:56 AM
melinda

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Cool! But isn't that the Jewel Box?
Roberta in D

I've made a scrappy version, even if the triangle units got turned around
in some places
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol/costume.html
just click on the pictures to see a bigger, clearer picture.

Not really sure on that, apparently it could also be based on
a block called World's Fair, but it's similar to Jacob's Ladder.
When I made the quilt I didn't know anything about block names,
I just made it :-)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol