OT - what's your favourite Christmas Food/recipe

Old December 19th 03, 03:07 AM
Don/Gen

the Vermont Country Store has all the old type candies. They have a web
site.
Gen

"M. Wetmore" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Janner"
wrote:

What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas Eve!

So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond

Boxing
Day!

I love the old fashioned Christmas candies, which I can't find
anywhere anymore. Candy like Chocolate Straws, Ribbon Candy, the hard
candies that look like Fimo Dough cutouts, etc. I did find Chocolate
Straws on the internet, but shipping is so high it doesn't make it
practical to buy any. But...maybe I'll do it anyway!

Then, there's always Chocolate Covered Cherries, the kind with the
liquid centers. Yum!

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot

com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old December 19th 03, 09:22 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi Kate,
Your Christmas recipes have me drooling. Will make the marzipan and stollen
this weekend I think. Will I have to wait 7-10 days before I can make the
stollen with this marzipan? Perhaps I should make two lots, so that I can
test its maturing flavour each day?
Lynn

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Butterfly wrote:

PLEASE share your recipe for the stollen....

There's one on my web site. First recipe in the first Christmas
section. The marzipan recipe is there too... No pix yet. Stollen has
regional variations, so there are lots of different ways to do it.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old December 19th 03, 09:29 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi Ruth,
Sounds good to me :-) The 80 degree heat, just doesn't work for me somehow.
I've just printed off Kate's Christmas recipes and am intending to make her
stollen. D'you reckon there'd be any chance of getting myself adopted?
Lynn

"Ruth in Happy Camp" wrote in message
Lynn, if I get REAL weather this Christmas, I'll be happy to swap with you
for a slice of Mardi's stollen. Deal? (I had a skosh of snow the first

of
November, but only rain since then.)
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"Lynn Tocker" wrote in message
Roast chestnuts, all burnt on one side, hot spiced wine, REAL marzipan,

plum
pud with glubby custard.
REAL weather (sigh), even after 20 years, I'm not used to the salad type
weather at Xmas.
Lynn

"Janner" wrote in message
What's your favourite Christmas food or recipe or tradition?

Just thought that I'd ask, as we like to decorate the tree as close to
Christmas as possible, stay up late, eat too much etc on Christmas

Eve!
So
we've started before Christmas Day, mind you the turkey lasts beyond

Boxing
Day!

--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going

on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

---

Old December 19th 03, 12:38 PM
Kate Dicey

Lynn Tocker wrote:

Hi Kate,
Your Christmas recipes have me drooling. Will make the marzipan and stollen
this weekend I think. Will I have to wait 7-10 days before I can make the
stollen with this marzipan? Perhaps I should make two lots, so that I can
test its maturing flavour each day?
Lynn

No you just use it straight away - no hanging about! Same with the
stollen: eaten hot from the oven it makes an amazing pudding! Cold and
decorated, it goes down well sliced and spread with a little best
butter... I've even picked the icing off it and toasted it for
breakfast! Well, it's bread, isn't it? I've yet to try making bread
pudding with it, or cheese on toast...
Old December 19th 03, 06:20 PM
Pat in Virginia

Well, if that lovely recipe takes a year to mature, maybe you
need to post it now ... so we can get started for NEXT
Thanksgiving and Christmas! Please and thank you ma'am!
~PAT in VA/USA

Kate Dicey wrote:
cut ...
I didn't make stollen this year, or the black bun, or the golden
christmas cake, due to op pressures and not having my usual energy
levels. I'll be back on full whack next year, though, and I did buy
cranberries for the cranberry, orange and red wine sauce, which likes a
year to mature...

Old December 19th 03, 06:39 PM
Karlee in Kansas

http://tinyurl.com/yvch3

Here are their Christmas candies....the straws (not chocolate that I can
see tho) are on page 2

HTH
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

Take a look!!! http://www.angelfire.com/ks3/karlee/index.html
~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Old December 20th 03, 03:24 AM
Kate Dicey

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Well, if that lovely recipe takes a year to mature, maybe you
need to post it now ... so we can get started for NEXT
Thanksgiving and Christmas! Please and thank you ma'am!
~PAT in VA/USA

Well you can use it straight away, but i like it better after a year!
remember to store it in a cool dark place!

The recipe in on my web site, under 'More of Kate's Christmas
Specials'. There are some pix of the heap I made last year!

Not only is is good with turkey and other meats, but it's also a welcome
addition to a Brie sandwich!
Old December 21st 03, 07:23 PM
Rustqlts2

In 1963 I bought 'Betty Crocker's Cooky Book" and baked my first batch of
Ginger Creams, a recipe from that book. Every year thereafter, no matter where
we were stationed, that cooky was the *only* one we absolutely couldn't do
without! My husband retired from the AF in 1976 and tho our cooky recipe was
in storage at Christmas, my DD and I went to a local bookstore and copied the
recipe (the book is still being reprinted!). In '77 my daughter b
egan making *the* cooky--even for the 1860's type wedding reception of her
brother in 1990! After she moved to the Land Down Under, I even delivered two
*large* glass bottles of B'rer Rabbit molasses in carry-on luggage so. I don't
always bake them at Christmas now, but I'm sure they're being served in
Ashburton, Victoria this year.

rusty (sorta-kinda missing that girl(g))