Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

Old August 23rd 04, 04:33 AM
Diana Curtis

Default Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

..
We all talk about this group as if it is a cyber quilting bee. It isnt. It
is a quilting lesson, ongoing and dynamic. They are lessons we each pay for.
Some pay more, some pay less, but dang it, we all pay to be here.
Picture having a quilting lesson at your local quilt store where every so
often a person pops into the class room and advertises something,
interupting the lessons you paid for. You'd be right to be upset. It could
be your best friend in the world, offering to quilt for you, or a total
stranger offering a better way of living thru pills or what have you. Its
the same thing, an interuption.
But what about OT posts, you ask. Arent they an interruption as well? Yes,
when we forget to mark them as being off topic, to the paying subscriber to
this group, they are, for some, an unwanted interruption of what they pay to
come here for. Quilt lessons. When we do remember to use the OT in the
header it is as if we have excused ourselves to the little room over there
with the coffee urn and the nummy desserts where we wont be interupting the
other quilters with our chatter.
We all have the right to be here. We have the right to a newsgroup that
the majority will find useful and fun. Along with those rights comes a
serious responsibilty to police ourselves and our own posts. If we decide as
a group to allow people to post ads where do we draw the line? Who gets to
post ads and how many and how often is offensive? Do we get to pick on
people who are obviously not regular posters? Who is going to police such a
wishy washy policy?
Does it make more sense to make a blanket policy that advertisments are to
go to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace? That is what it is for.
Rant mode over, back to quilting
Diana

Old August 23rd 04, 04:54 AM
KJ

Is it considered advertising if someone is looking for a certain fabric and
Paul from Equilter gives a link to it??
I've never thought of that as such. His posts are never unsolicited...they
are in response to an inquiry. I haven't been here very long, so I may have
the wrong slant on things.
Back to the Olympics.

.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:01 PM
Diana Curtis

Do *you* consider it advertising? Thats the point of my rant. We cant stop
people from posting. We can only set standards and ask people to hold
themselves to them. Each of us is responsible only for our own actions, so I
am asking us to each consider our posts in terms of the Quilt Lesson
analogy.
Diana

Old August 23rd 04, 07:19 PM
Diana Curtis

Please read the post again. I am asking people to consider what they want
this group to be. I am not telling anyone they cannot post, or what they can
or cannot post. I am encouraging everyone who reads this group to consider
what is appropriate for OUR group. So, *you* are the moderator, so is
everyone who posts. You moderate your posts, they moderate theirs. Like
grownups policing themselves. I like how that works.
Diana

news

Old August 23rd 04, 04:47 PM
Debbie

We all talk about this group as if it is a cyber quilting bee. It isnt. It
is a quilting lesson, ongoing and dynamic. They are lessons we each pay for.
Some pay more, some pay less, but dang it, we all pay to be here.

Rant, ad nauseum, snipped to save space.

Some people just can't let things go can they? Since I'm the offending party,
I'll just leave. This continuous whining on the subject has become offensive
in itself and has taken up far more time and space than my simple "I do that"
post. Good bye & happy quilting.

Old August 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Diana Curtis

My rant was not directed at any specific person. It was aimed at everyone
who reads or posts to this group. I'm sorry you feel you were singled out.
Why you feel that way is not something I understand.
Diana

Old August 23rd 04, 05:20 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
My mom would smack me even now for flouncing out of the
room. We are a non-flouncing family; we stand our ground
and listen to both sides of the issue, or all 7 sides, whatever,
and we even do some yelling to be heard.
But we do not flounce off in a huff.

Maybe Debbie will finish even more quilts now without RCTQ
to interrupt her. I hope she comes back to show them off.
I hope she comes back to enjoy the neighborhood.

Ragmop/Sandy -- liberal who also doesn't beg anyone to stay around,
having grown past that in the 3rd grade ;-D

Old August 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Natalie

LOL!!

Once in a while I still flounce (or am mistaken for flouncing!)- and
BOY! Does my mom get mad!

LOL!
NS