Color Migration

Old November 26th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Color Migration

I used a red/green homespun for backing a Christmas quilt. It had been
previously washed (I'm one who washes ALL fabrics) with a Color Catcher,
but the green came thru the front of the quilt on the snowy white
parts.8^( Anyone know if Retayne would help? I washed again in Sythropol
SP(textile detergent), but it still 'bleeds!' Nancycog in MD

Old November 26th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Quilter

wrote:
I used a red/green homespun for backing a Christmas quilt. It had been
previously washed (I'm one who washes ALL fabrics) with a Color Catcher,
but the green came thru the front of the quilt on the snowy white
parts.8^( Anyone know if Retayne would help? I washed again in Sythropol
SP(textile detergent), but it still 'bleeds!' Nancycog in MD

I am dealing with the same issue - this site helped:
http://www.quilt.com/FAQS/BleedingFabricFAQ.html

"Retayne actually SETS errant dyes so they'll stop bleeding, the
Synthrapol "floats" out any unfixed dye and keeps it from "fixing"
itself onto areas of the fabric that you don't want to be stained."

it also said:

"SYNTHROPOL (a detergent used by dyers to remove bleeding dye from
fabric). You put a teaspoon of the stuff in hot water and wash the
bleeding fabric, rinse and wash again if needed. Once the rinse water
runs clear your fabric is dyefast"

having said that, after washing this red in synthrapol, and making sure
the rinse water was clear (it never turned even pink, btw), I ironed it
and it bled onto the white towel I was using to absorb the water...
Old November 27th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Thanks, Dr. Quilter, I think I'll leave it alone since it doesn't look
too bad. Nancycog in MD

Old November 27th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

mailed and posted
Nancy:
Similar thing happened here with a black
PRE WASHED fabric. I gave it to DS
anyhow. A few weeks later it magically
disappeared on its own!! This was before
the advent of the Color Catcher sheets.
Maybe you should use one of those.
Good Luck, PAT

Old November 28th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Thanks, Pat. Maybe the Quilt Fairie will 'fix' it tonight. 8^) Nancycog
in MD