120 Year old Glass

Old January 5th 04, 04:13 AM
Cape Bretoner

Default 120 Year old Glass

Am wondering if anyone can direct me to a collector or antique dealer
that might be interested in purchasing 120 year old planes of glass.

They are 8 X 10 inches and about 1/16 of an inch thick.

Clear glass, although they had some kind of shipping material between
them that gives it a colored look. Although it brushes right off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please respond to

Old January 5th 04, 08:24 PM
jk

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Cape Bretoner" wrote in message
Am wondering if anyone can direct me to a collector or antique dealer
that might be interested in purchasing 120 year old planes of glass.

They are 8 X 10 inches and about 1/16 of an inch thick.

Clear glass, although they had some kind of shipping material between
them that gives it a colored look. Although it brushes right off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please respond to

I have an interest, what kind of price do you have in mind?

I'll double it...

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old January 10th 04, 07:39 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
"jk" wrote:
-snip-
I'll double it...

Hey, if you guys like old glass, check your local salvage yards. The
latest fad perpetuated by the vinyl industry is to convince people to
rip out their perfectly good century-old wood windows and replace them
with crappy vinyl windows which are supposed to be more
energy-efficient, but usually aren't. (The victims of this fraud could
have weatherized their beautiful old windows for half the cost and twice
the aesthetic appeal.)

So, the old windows end up in a dumpster (yours for free) or a salvage
yard (yours for a song) complete with all that lovely old rippled glass.
Until three months ago I worked at a company with a salvage yard, and we
had to turn people away with whole windows still in their frames,
because we had so many we couldn't take more, and that was despite
*giving* them away, literally. The non-profit salvage yard down the
street from my house has hundreds of old windows with their original
glass, all dirt-cheap.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe
Old January 11th 04, 08:36 PM
nJb

Kalera Stratton wrote:

In article ,
"jk" wrote:
[...]

Where are you? Old window frames fetch a premium price here in Salt
Lake.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old January 15th 04, 06:23 PM
Kalera Stratton

nJb wrote:
Kalera Stratton wrote:

In article ,
"jk" wrote:
[...]

Portland, OR. Our salvage contacts in a number of other regions are
experiencing the same phenomenon, but if it's not the case in your area,
perhaps the vinyl-window sellers haven't hit yet... or maybe they hit
earlier, and people are trying to undo the damage.

In which case, you're in a prime position to take a truck to either the
NW or the Midwest, and load up on windows for resale in your area!
Old January 16th 04, 03:07 AM
Steve Richardson

In St Louis there doesn't seem to be "salvage" for sale, not like other
places. I've been in one shop, years ago, with unbelievably high prices for
very plain stuff, but that's the only place I've ever found. A neighbor of
mine runs an upscale boutique specializing in decorating stuff, and her yard
and house are filled with salvage -- mostly trucked in from Chicago due to
the local lack. At least that's what I hear.

- Steve R
St Louis

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
nJb wrote:

Old January 16th 04, 07:24 AM
Kalera Stratton

Steve Richardson wrote:

In St Louis there doesn't seem to be "salvage" for sale, not like other
places. I've been in one shop, years ago, with unbelievably high prices for
very plain stuff, but that's the only place I've ever found. A neighbor of
mine runs an upscale boutique specializing in decorating stuff, and her yard
and house are filled with salvage -- mostly trucked in from Chicago due to
the local lack. At least that's what I hear.

- Steve R
St Louis

LOL! The reason for that is probably that we send a truck out twice a
year and buy all the salvage we can get our hands on... I suspect that
the salvage market may be dry there because all the salvagers sell to
out-of-staters. I hate to tell you, and sometimes it makes me sad to see
so much beautiful architectural salvage displaced in a sort of salvage
diaspora, but my store (I keep saying that even though I quit three
months ago... but I have deep ties to it that I can't quite shake)
considers St. Louis, along with several other cities, to be absolute
goldmines of salvage.

-Kalera
Old January 18th 04, 09:37 AM
Kalera Stratton

I take it you're into salvage too? Cool!

-Kalera

vj wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.glass, from Kalera Stratton
:

]Portland, OR. Our salvage contacts

we are going to HAVE to get together when i get to Seattle!

@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/newest.html
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan