Borax info

Old March 2nd 05, 07:16 AM
figjam62

"figjam62" wrote in message

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"figjam62" wrote in message

Thanks all for those tips etc, I have a good chance of finding this

when
I'm
dashing about in the next few days.
Good link to warm glass info, I had this from previous surfing, (but

many
thanks all the same).
I've also read a few drops of dishwashing liquid is good, and after

the
initial mix to dissolve, let settle a little and decant into another
container to get rid of the stubborn particles of Borax.
Will post my experiences and results.
BTW, I meant to ask, does it leave any sort of residue on the glass,

or
become like a permanent glaze ?
Regards,
Les

the soap is to let the water flow out better, as it lowers the surface
tension. it will be ugly until fired. let dry before firing. don't get

any
on the bottom as it will cause wash to stick. it acts like a low

temperature
flux, and is actually a new glass surface. you need to take it over

1430,
ime, to get it to flow out well and disappear.

Hey Charles, thanks for the extra info, especially the temp tip.
I have never taken my kiln to 777oC before, so will be interesting.

Someone
once told me it's good for the elements, stretches 'em out and relaxes

them.

Looks like I'll have to use kiln wash on the shelf. I have some kiln wash
powder, but don't use it in the way the directions say (usually I use it

powder between glass to STOP them sticking, when doing multiple bending).
I have had to odd plaything (experiment) stick to the floor of my kiln, or
partially on a shelf, brick, or fibre ceramic board etc, but I don't
generally have a problem with float at up to 720oC / 1328oF that much.

I have had great success just sprinkling the powder very lightly, and
brushing dry on a tile, for example, before placing the glass, it stops it
sticking, and you just wash the residue powder off later under water.

Has anyone else tried this at the 720oC / 1328oF ?
If so, was it successful ?

Regards,
Les

Well, found Borax at one of my local supermarkets, and here are the results
of the first trial.
Mixed up as directed, one teaspoon per cup (plus one extra in 3 cups for
good measure), added a little diswash liquid (about 6 drops) to allow
dispersion on the glass surface, sprayed a range of bottles to test on.

Found the mixture didn't hold well on the surface when sprayed, maybe I'll
add a dozen drops of detergent next mix, but is certainly stopped devit in
regards to the usual way it has formed to date.
It even removed devit on a couple of previously flattened bottles, that I
sprayed and included to test.

There was minor devit in a couple of spots on the new ones, probably where
the mix dispersed when sprayed, but is really not too noticeable.

I cooked it at 750oC (1382oF), rather than the 777oC (1430oF), as a test,
and there is no remains that I can see re the coating.

The powder brushed and sprinkled on the bricks / tiles (rather than
traditional kiln washing), worked to a certain degree, 2 out of 10 that
didn't have enough on did stick and crack, but this will obviously work. The
powder just washes off with water and a light brushing.

Regards,
Les