seam guide for computerized sewing machines...

Old December 10th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
ScrapNana22

Default seam guide for computerized sewing machines...

I just bought a Brother CS-6000i sewing machine from Wally World and
while surfing the net I came to realize that you CANNOT use a magnetic
seam guide on the computerized sewing machines! Can anyone tell me
where I can get some type of guide for my Brother that is not
magetized?

In the meantime, I have cut me a piece of foam core about 3.5 inches
long and I can tape it to my needle plate with "painter's tape", but I
really would like to find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me in this matter!

Old December 10th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

ScrapNana22 wrote:

I just bought a Brother CS-6000i sewing machine from Wally World and
while surfing the net I came to realize that you CANNOT use a magnetic
seam guide on the computerized sewing machines! Can anyone tell me
where I can get some type of guide for my Brother that is not
magetized?

In the meantime, I have cut me a piece of foam core about 3.5 inches
long and I can tape it to my needle plate with "painter's tape", but I
really would like to find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me in this matter!

Most machines these days have various seam guide lines engraved on the
stitch plate. If you find you cannot see those clearly enough, try
filling the lines with enamel paint or nail varnish in a nice bright
colour. Berninas used to have the engraved lines filled with red, which
was nice and visible.

Old December 10th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Nanci E Donacki

Brother also sells an additional stitch guide foot, that has a ruler on it.
It allows you to use the foot rather than the markings on the stitch plate
for seaming. You can find it at:
www.brothermall.com.
Or try your local brother autherized dealer.
-ned
ps.com...

Old December 10th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

ScrapNana22 wrote:
I just bought a Brother CS-6000i sewing machine from Wally World and
while surfing the net I came to realize that you CANNOT use a magnetic
seam guide on the computerized sewing machines! Can anyone tell me
where I can get some type of guide for my Brother that is not
magetized?

In the meantime, I have cut me a piece of foam core about 3.5 inches
long and I can tape it to my needle plate with "painter's tape", but I
really would like to find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me in this matter!

Some people use a pad of "post-it" notes, that have the sticky on the
back. Putting a pad of them there makes as high a guide as you want,
and when it gets dirty, you can tear off the top one.

Check with your mechanic, but I don't think those thin advertising type
magnets are strong enough to interfere with your machine. Certainly
don't use the heavy powerful seam guide, but ask if using one of those
little business card magnets would hurt.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old December 11th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:
Some people use a pad of "post-it" notes, that have the
sticky on the back. Putting a pad of them there makes as
high a guide as you want, and when it gets dirty, you can
tear off the top one.
Check with your mechanic, but I don't think those thin
advertising type magnets are strong enough to interfere
with your machine. Certainly don't use the heavy
powerful seam guide, but ask if using one of those little
business card magnets would hurt.

I love the post-it notes idea! I have always used masking tape
in a crunch.

Beverly

Old December 11th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

Sometimes I use "re-positionable correction tape" -- Post-It tape --
to mark a seam allowance. Not often, because it happens that the
right edge of my machine's needle plate is exactly half an inch from
the leftmost needle position -- rather odd, when the machine is metric
-- and half an inch is the seam allowance I use most often.

For narrower allowances, I guide on the feed dogs and various parts of
various feet, and shift the needle positions.

When I'm hand sewing, I use correction tape on the fabric. Since it
tends to break loose when the fabric flexes or stretches, I use an
inch or less and keep shifting it to mark my way.

If I need to mark fabric for machine sewing, I usually use a
water-erasable marker, but I also have an assortment of pencils -- the
most-useful pencil isn't an official sewing marker, but one with a
"lead" of real calcium-carbonate chalk, the sort that was used on
blackboards in the first half of the twentieth century.

(Modern blackboard crayons are not chalk and might stain fabric. Real
chalk is a cleaning agent, and quite safe for color-fast plant
fibers.)

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Old December 11th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

BEI Design wrote:
Pogonip wrote:

Some people use a pad of "post-it" notes, that have the
sticky on the back. Putting a pad of them there makes as
high a guide as you want, and when it gets dirty, you can
tear off the top one.
Check with your mechanic, but I don't think those thin
advertising type magnets are strong enough to interfere
with your machine. Certainly don't use the heavy
powerful seam guide, but ask if using one of those little
business card magnets would hurt.

I love the post-it notes idea! I have always used masking tape
in a crunch.

Beverly

It is a neat idea, and not my own. I got it from sewists on the
TreadleOn email list -- a very creative bunch!

Old December 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

You can purchase an adhesive seam guide from either Clotilde.com or
from nancysnotions.com. I have one on my serger and my machine. It
measures from 3/8" to 3" and is really helpful

Old December 19th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

ScrapNana22 wrote:
I just bought a Brother CS-6000i sewing machine from Wally World and
while surfing the net I came to realize that you CANNOT use a magnetic
seam guide on the computerized sewing machines! Can anyone tell me
where I can get some type of guide for my Brother that is not
magetized?

In the meantime, I have cut me a piece of foam core about 3.5 inches
long and I can tape it to my needle plate with "painter's tape", but I
really would like to find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me in this matter!

FAQ, QOM, QuiltPro questions. Betsy Ross Quilting 9 March 23rd 05 04:39 PM
FAQ for RCTQ Feb Diana Curtis Quilting 7 February 2nd 05 04:08 PM
FA: $3.50 Vogue Sewing Book, Revised Edition EoI Marketplace 0 June 13th 04 04:27 PM
New to sewing-?s about industrial sewing machines Shawna Sewing 4 May 31st 04 03:30 AM
Sewing machine feet for trade, Singer and others. Dr. Landerstein Marketplace 0 March 21st 04 04:52 PM