"Frosted"glass

Old September 29th 05, 03:10 AM
Matthew Eash

Default "Frosted"glass

I am trying to find (or create) a 48 high x 24 wide panel of "frosted" glass
for a door. Since it is in a door, tempered glass or other shatter
resistant glass should be used. Most stores recommend sandblasting the
glass to give a very even texture. A 3/16 tempered sandblasted sheet is
about $80 to $100.

I have seen a lot of commercial installations with a frosting film -- cut in
patterns or the logo of the store. Is this an option that I can do myself?
And would it be significantly less expensive?

Thanks for any help.

Old September 29th 05, 03:45 AM
Moonraker

It's been my experience that 1/4" actually costs less than the 3/16" plate,
because of the volume that most places buy in. You could also look into
laminated instead of tempered. If you need it in a hurry, the lami is
easier to get than the tempered because you don't have to wait a couple of
days for the tempered to be, well, tempered. If you don't know the
difference between lami and tempered, think of your car windows, The side
windows are tempered, the windshield is laminated. Tempered will crumble
into a zillion pieces, lami will break but the plastic film in the middle
will hold the sheet "together". I pay about the same for tempered vs. lami,
the only problem is that I usually can't get the etched logo to identify the
glass as "safety" on the lami.

Sign shops should have the frosted film. It's a self adhesive material,
not like tinting film that is put on "wet", this stuff is sticky and has a
release paper on the sticky side. It's made to go through a plotter cutter
to make the logos, etc.

I don't know much about sandblasting glass...but it would seem to me that
you'd have to temper the glass after you sandblast it? Sandblasting already
tempered glass would put a lot of stress on the surface and I'd think it
would crumble?

Old September 29th 05, 03:01 PM
Mike Firth

Other discussions have indicated that shallow blasting of tempered glass is
possible.

--
Mike Firth
No more levees

Old September 29th 05, 03:32 PM
Moonraker

I guess that depends on how good your protective clothing and face mask is.
:) Wouldn't catch ME trying that.

Old September 29th 05, 04:19 PM
Sundog

Correct. I've blasted on tempered glass since around 1980, after being told
not to try it 10 years before by someone who knows 'half' the facts. The
facts is: I etch using shading methods "up to" a solid frost on 1/4"
tempered without ever having a problem. No carving! One time only, early
70's, after being told I couldn't sandblast on tempered, I tried it, and
nothing adverse happened, so I 'bored into" the glass a bit, maybe 1/8" deep
.... and nothing happened. This was on a test piece about 16x20". I took it
into the studio and set it down and about 20 minutes later it blew into
bits. I was still finding some bits years later too. So there you have it.
Surface etching only! NO carving!! Works fine.

That plastic etch-looking vinyl from the sign shops looks pretty good too,
especially for signs or privacy use .... not for artwork. It lasts several
years in UV exposed windows before replacement becomes necessary

Some people do deep carving on thick float glass and then have it tempered.
I have not yet been willing to risk my work efforts to try that route, and I
probably never will, since I'm only doing about one etching project a year
anymore, in favor of more interesting forms of glass work.

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

=======================================

Old September 30th 05, 03:29 AM
nJb

Mike Firth wrote:

Other discussions have indicated that shallow blasting of tempered glass is
possible.

I share studio space with an accomplished carver. He said that frosting
is no problem. he named some percentage that you can safely go in and it
was quite a bit.

--
Jack

Plonked by Native American

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old October 3rd 05, 03:10 PM
Byron Wells

Hey Matthew...

You can sandblast the glass or an even simpler idea is to order a piece of
'Pattern 62' tempered from a glass co.. It is the same glass they use in
bath windows over showers etc..

You can also use the film you are talking about. Its faux sandblasting..
Doesn't look all that great IMHO but to each their own.. I have a roll here
in a closet somewhere.. You should be able to find it at most sign making
shops..

--
Byron...
Wells Glassworks

Old October 5th 05, 09:23 PM
MangoTab

Hey Matthew, get your glass and then go to your local Home Depot, or a
large craft store and once there you can purchase, acid for etching
glass or glass spray paint or static cling stuff for glass, there are
many products in both arenas.
P.S. there is also spray on frosting for glass (many colours too) and
all at a lot less than $100.00.
Good Luck

MangoTab

Old November 11th 05, 08:08 AM
Glass Suppliers

There is a new product on the market (here in Australia anyway) called
Metalux
It is an acid etched mass produced float glass that can be toughened with no
loss in surface texture. (Looks just like sandblasting, if not better).
Comes in 4,6, and 8mm.

Old November 17th 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

UNFORTUNATELY, "frosted glass" in regard to replacement windows can
mean "filmed-over" glass.

This is to inform home owners interested in purchasing replacement home
windows about one couple's experience with a Northern Virginia firm,
CONSUMER CONSTRUCTION, INC.

In June 1999, Consumer Construction, Inc., Woodbridge, VA 22191,
703-491-0745, http://www.consumerconstruction.com, furnished and
installed 13 ea. replacement vinyl windows, Carefree brand, with Low E
glass and argon gas. Cost: $4,200.

Initially my wife Robin and I were generally pleased with the product,
however one double-hung unit toally filmed over within three years on
the inner (sealed) surfaces. Those surfaces cannot be cleaned.

We left several phone messages with Consumer Construction, Inc.
(hereinafter called the "company') but received no response. In June
2004, we sent the company an e-mail mesage via its e-mail response
line. A male from the company phoned and agreed to inspect the window,
but never showed up.

We subsequently contacted the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Greater
Washington, D.C. (202-393-8000, www.mybbb.org), which made contact with
the company. A company representative came to our house in May 2005,
and found that nine (9) windows had some degree of filming due he said
to "inner moisture."

The company agreed to contact the manufacturer to obtain an on-site
inspection, but a few weeks later, it was determined by the company
that the manufacturer of Carefree brand windows had gone bankrupt and
out of business. The company subsequently told us that it, therefore,
would not replace at no cost any of the filmed windows, since the
manufacturer was no longer in business. "I am at a dead end," we were
told by the company manager, Mr. Mitchell.

We went back to the BBB with this information; the BBB agreed to try to
arrange for arbitration of our case, but were met with silence on the
matter. The case remains in an unresolved category.

To summarize my wife's and my position, we believe that, at a minimum,
Consumer Construction, Inc. should be willing to replace at no cost the
two windows that are completely filmed over, especially since the
company's own inspector remarked, "You don't need blinds for these
[filmed windows]."

Consumer Construction's position is unacceptable to us, as customers,
and we believe it fails to meet standards of responsible business
practice as well. Consumer Construction SOLD us windows that failed;
THEY bear primary responsibility for resolving this case to our
satisfaction. The company's position is like a food market telling a
customer to go to the farmer who raised the steer from which a spoiled
cut of meat was originally obtained!

(It would be interesting to know how many of the company's other
customers have incurred problems such as ours.)

Ken Spalding
Dale City, VA