Another First

Old April 21st 05, 09:10 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Sarah Dale of Our
House uttered

I trust you are charging extra for this?!

I get paid for all the sewing - wish the boss would discourage people
from ordering the damned fabric

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old April 21st 05, 10:52 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Evil stuff! OK if you don't have to sew seams on the straight grain,
but nasty whatever way you look at it! Mind you, it can look fantastic
under stage lights!

It is never ok under any circumstances

and only looks good at a very great distance

and it looks so *naff*

Old April 22nd 05, 09:26 AM
Kate Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Evil stuff! OK if you don't have to sew seams on the straight grain,
but nasty whatever way you look at it! Mind you, it can look
fantastic under stage lights!

It is never ok under any circumstances

Tiz iffn it's only £3.50 a metre and you need what feels like 100 miles
of it for a school production...

and only looks good at a very great distance

Or under school stage lights, which are hardly world beating...

and it looks so *naff*

Yeah, but for some things naff is what you need!

I used it for a 1931 Vogue pattern as a dress for Tallulah in Bugsy
Malone, and it looked and behaved really well (and that dress had a LOT
of hand finishing! I was mad... ) And the one on my web site for the
Hotel California adventure was the same stuff, and by then I had the big
serger, and the fabric behaved impeccably throughout both construction
and the show. And it washed and tumble dried fantastically without
needing ironing! Poshest frock in the show, and it took half the time
to make of some of the other stuff!

OK, so they would all have looked much better in silk, but when you have
a budget of £10 per head and it may only get a week's wearing, £3.50
poly satin backed crepe/crepe backed satin begins to look very nice indeed.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 22nd 05, 07:57 PM
Elizabeth M. Phillips

What is all this alpha dot hotel, etc. stuff? I see it else where and
cannot figure it out. Must be a code obviously.

For airplanes in the States, it used to be: able baker charlie, etc.

Just wondering.

Betsy

Just reply here, if you're interested.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered
Lots of shot taffeta around here, far less bridal satin or satin crepe
and absolutely no lace fabric this year!

I dream of the day that polyester crepe-backed satin disappears off the
face of the planet...

Old April 22nd 05, 08:07 PM
BEI Design

"Elizabeth M. Phillips" wrote in message

What is all this alpha dot hotel, etc. stuff? I see it else where
and
cannot figure it out. Must be a code obviously.

For airplanes in the States, it used to be: able baker charlie, etc.

Just wondering.

Betsy

alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
sierra charlie oscar dot november echo tango

a.heywood @ tesco.net

It's an attempt to prevent address harvesting.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 22nd 05, 08:43 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , BEI Design of uttered

It's an attempt to prevent address harvesting.

Thanks

thanks for defeating the object, you chump

next time I want my email address publishing, I'll do it myself. Until
then, you'll kindly do me the courtesy of leaving it alone. Find
something else to show off about, why don't you?

in fact, I'm outta here. Thank you and good night.

--

AJH
email address now withdrawn
Old April 22nd 05, 08:58 PM

would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild Apr 22, 12:43 pm
show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
From: She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild
- Find messages by this author
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:43:21 GMT
Subject: OT - was " Another First" a question
original | Report Abuse

In article , BEI Design of uttered

It's an attempt to prevent address harvesting.

Thanks

thanks for defeating the object, you chump

next time I want my email address publishing, I'll do it myself. Until
then, you'll kindly do me the courtesy of leaving it alone. Find
something else to show off about, why don't you?
in fact, I'm outta here. Thank you and good night.
AJH
email address now withdrawn
---
Wow. Well. blinking in utter astonishment
Bloodletting. Without the rotary cutter.
This thread took an unexpected turn, dinnit? I suspect no harm was
meant, civility usually rules here.
Some might say, except when I'm on a tear, but even then, I try to see
the ridiculous side of things.
Now, what fabric do each of you sew folk hate, and why?
I keep seeing this crunchy, scratchy-feeling, crinkled, semi-sheer
poly, which feels so nasty that I cannot imagine any use for it. Even
underlined, it would feel like steel wool brushing one's arms.
Cea
Cea

Old April 22nd 05, 09:57 PM
Elizabeth Young

alpha bravo charlie delta echo ...
able baker charlie dog easy ...
ace beer charlie don edward ...
There are many variations on these alphabets - historical and current
Originally a way to communicate letters without (much) error via radio.
Every time I spell my email address out I just say "fenris, that's f as
in frank, e, n as in nancy, r, s as in sam" saves hassle.
I used to take phone orders and often older customers would spell their
name and so on in that alphabet right off the bat. Confused the heck out
of me the first time, but it is so useful.
same kind of deal saying fife for 5 and niner for 9

liz young, font of useless info

Old April 22nd 05, 11:07 PM
Arri London

BEI Design wrote:

"Elizabeth M. Phillips" wrote in message

What is all this alpha dot hotel, etc. stuff? I see it else where
and
cannot figure it out. Must be a code obviously.

For airplanes in the States, it used to be: able baker charlie, etc.

Just wondering.

Betsy

alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
sierra charlie oscar dot november echo tango

a.heywood @ tesco.net

It's an attempt to prevent address harvesting.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Which you now ruined by publishing the address..............