why turn clothes inside out for washing

Old September 13th 04, 12:48 AM
Karen Maslowski

Melinda, mine is about four years old, too. It's a Frigidaire Gallery,
and after using this one I'll never have another top loader. It cleans
the clothes in about 2/3 the time/energy, with 1/2 the water, and 1/2
the detergent. And, the best part, the clothes dry in about 3/5 of the
time it took with my old washer. We only got a new washer, and kept our
old dryer, so I can compare apples to apples on this issue.

Karen in Ohio

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

AmazeR wrote:

Interesting that you mention the front loader, Cindy. I have one of
these
my DH bought for me 4 yrs ago and I would never go back to a top
loader. The front loader is much gentler on my clothes and washes up
to 95degC for
whites (but I use it for tea-towels too). I just so love it compared to
my old top loader. It is much smaller too.

What brand did you get, that it has lasted 4 years? I hear all sorts of
complaints about various brands and haven't found one yet that seems to
be reliable.

Old September 13th 04, 01:24 AM

why turn clothes inside out for washing

(Debra)
---
"teleflora" wrote:
snip
fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front loader next
time, but I would like one of the top loaders with the agitator that
swings from side to side rather than bouncing up and down.
Cindy
---
snip good advice
...research (front loaders) before buying one
because many of the name brands sold for home use in the US are not as
good as they should be. Someday, hopefully soon, the US brands will have
front loaders for homes that are as good as the ones the European brands
sell for homes.
Debra in VA
---
Even good research can fail to turn up lemons. For details on our
saga with the Maytag Neptune front loader, google posts on the subject.
I initially loved the machine, loved the concept, our clothes have
never been cleaner. OTOH, our ownership has been an expensive nightmare,
which has, at present, no ending, as the washer keeps self-destructing,
costing us $250.00 and more, every time it goes haywire for no apparent
reason.
I keep the machine unplugged when not in use, to prevent power surges
from affecting the delicate circuit boards. There is the additional
problem of mold/mildew on the door seal inside, as the machine is
designed to hold water in the barrel all of the time. It looks like that
toxic 'black mold' you hear about, and bleach, as well as the
recommended treatment with dishwasher cleaner, has failed to eradicate
it. Apparently this is a pervasive problem, as the Maytag consumer site
has attempted to address the issue endlessly.
Never again, and Maytag, in choosing not to replace the machine, has
lost any repeat business from us. L-e-m-o-n.
Cea

Old September 13th 04, 03:47 AM
melinda

In rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Karen Maslowski wrote:
Have you ever noticed that dark clothing stays dark on the inside, and
fades on the outside? For that reason I turn all my dark clothing inside
out before washing. I've had much less fading since I've done this. And
that might be the reason for the directions to turn your jeans inside out.

Karen in Ohio

I'm not worried about my jeans fading, in most cases I WANT my
jeans to fade.
DH and I bought a pair of jeans each at the same time a couple
of years ago, same brand and pretty much the same shade. He
wears his more often but they get washed less often and his
have faded more than mine.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 13th 04, 04:12 AM
Karen Maslowski

Well, some years we want jeans to fade, and some years we don't. I don't
wear jeans that much, personally, but I do wear a lot of black, and I
turn all black and other dark clothing inside out when I wash it.

YMMV,
Karen in Ohio

Old September 13th 04, 05:33 AM
Pogonip

Kate Dicey wrote:

I swear the keyboard is more dyslexic than I am some days!

He does the ironing... I just make things!

Actually, at the moment he's putting up a big mirror for me while I
re-organize the sewing room after yesterdays trip to IKEA. I need to
stop and cook the dinner, as it's just gone six here.

IKEA????? Tell!!!
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old September 13th 04, 06:12 AM
Pogonip

Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

What brand did you get, that it has lasted 4 years? I hear all sorts of
complaints about various brands and haven't found one yet that seems to
be reliable.

Speaking of that......I got mail from a firm of attorneys
who are handling a class-action suit against Maytag about
the early Maytag Neptune washers. They have reached a
settlement agreement with Maytag.

I will not be returning the material because Maytag made
changes to my machine that solved all the problems *knock
on wood* but those who did not receive the corrected parts
may wish to participate.

Old September 13th 04, 08:22 AM
Kate Dicey

Pogonip wrote:
Kate Dicey wrote:

I swear the keyboard is more dyslexic than I am some days!

He does the ironing... I just make things!

Actually, at the moment he's putting up a big mirror for me while I
re-organize the sewing room after yesterdays trip to IKEA. I need to
stop and cook the dinner, as it's just gone six here.

IKEA????? Tell!!!

DH sat in the car while James and I went round the shop... I bought 6
high basket drawer stack for the kitchen and two 4 high stacks for the
sewing room. I bought nylon drawers for the kitchen one and baskets for
the sewing room. I also got the plastic divider inserts for all three
and the desktops and casters. Once put together they hold quite a lot,
and are ideal for some things, but you mustn't overload them!

The two in the sewing room are exactly the same hight as my desktops,
and will make great perepetetic table tops to add to the working surface
for large projects like big bridal skirts and quilts. When I clear the
room for guests, they can be wheeled out of the room and parked on the
landing. The baskets are part of the Anton range of wardrobe organizers.

I also bought a big mirror for the wall so that clients can see their
garments and check for fit.

Altogether I bought:

2 low frames
1 tall frame
6 nylon drawers
8 basket drawers
3 desktops
3 sets of casters
6 organizer inserts
1 long mirror

and spent £115. Not bad at all. The nylon drawers are neat: white
nylon fabric with a stiffened base on a metal frame, velcroed on. The
base and frame an be removed and the fabric drawers washed in the
machine! If the fabric wears out and they no longer do them, I can cake
one and make a pattern and sew up new drawers in fancy curtain fabric!

I started my tidy-up at 11 am, took breaks for meals and the occasional
cup of tea, and went to bed at 4.15 am... I'm not finished yet!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 13th 04, 10:11 AM
AmazeR

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:02:26 +0000, Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply
wrote:

AmazeR wrote:

Interesting that you mention the front loader, Cindy. I have one of these
my DH bought for me 4 yrs ago and I would never go back to a top loader.
The front loader is much gentler on my clothes and washes up to 95degC for
whites (but I use it for tea-towels too). I just so love it compared to
my old top loader. It is much smaller too.

What brand did you get, that it has lasted 4 years? I hear all sorts of
complaints about various brands and haven't found one yet that seems to
be reliable.

It is a Westinghouse 7kg machine. I love it... It has many more years in
it yet too...

I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Mavis

Old September 13th 04, 10:16 AM
Charlie

I couldn't imagine using a top loader. I've never even seen one! Besides,
it wouldn't fit under my kitchen work top...

Charlie.

"AmazeR" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:52:33 -0500, teleflora wrote:
What is the reason for it?

Because we don't "wear" clothes out, we "wash" them out. The top

machines with the big agitator really are hard on clothes. The thing

that
really impressed me was how little lint ends up in the filter of my

friend's
dryer after they have been in the front loading washer. She cleans her
filter after every 8-10 loads. I have to clean mine after every load.

That
lint is the fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front

Old September 13th 04, 10:17 AM
Charlie

4 years? Our old one was at least 20!

Charlie.

"Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
AmazeR wrote:

Interesting that you mention the front loader, Cindy. I have one of

these
my DH bought for me 4 yrs ago and I would never go back to a top loader.
The front loader is much gentler on my clothes and washes up to 95degC

for
whites (but I use it for tea-towels too). I just so love it compared to
my old top loader. It is much smaller too.

What brand did you get, that it has lasted 4 years? I hear all sorts of
complaints about various brands and haven't found one yet that seems to
be reliable.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.