Children's Sleepwear

Old April 12th 04, 01:40 PM
joy beeson

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 04:26:44 GMT, Melinda Meahan - remove
TRASH to reply wrote:

And it's not acceptable to cross-post to multiple mailing lists.

The original meaning of "spam" as a verb referred to the
FAILURE to cross-post, thereby making it impossible to avoid
multiple exposures to something posted in two or more
groups.

Cross-posting came by its present bad name from various
sorts of abuse: cross-posting to too many groups,
cross-posting to unrelated groups, cross-posting to
mutually-hostile groups, and deliberately baiting people
into posting comments that are unexceptionable on the group
that they *thought* they were posting to, but inflammatory
where they actually appeared.

(By the by, does your newsreader warn you when you are about
to respond to a crosspost? If it doesn't, get a new reader
at once!)

But if you have a good reason to post the same message on
more than one group, then it is rude *not* to cross-post, so
that people who read more than one of the groups will see
your message only once.

Unless, of course, you wait until the thread has died down
on the first group before reformulating your question or
remarks in light of what you have learned and posting it to
the second -- but that's not really posting the *same*
message.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old April 12th 04, 02:43 PM

TRASH to reply wrote:

And it's not acceptable to cross-post to multiple mailing lists.

The original meaning of "spam" as a verb referred to the
FAILURE to cross-post, thereby making it impossible to avoid
multiple exposures to something posted in two or more
groups.

Yes, but that is talking about *newsgroups*, not *mailing lists*.

(By the by, does your newsreader warn you when you are about
to respond to a crosspost? If it doesn't, get a new reader
at once!)

I miss the old days of using trn, where when you posted to a NG you
would get this warning about did you really need to send this to the NG
and was it worth taking up valuable bandwidth, however the warning was
phrased.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Old April 12th 04, 05:23 PM
Peggy

I think everyone should just stop obsessing about the contents and "rules"
of everyone's posts. It's very simple, if you're not interested in it,
don't read it!

Peggy

"Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old April 12th 04, 09:41 PM

Peggy wrote:

I think everyone should just stop obsessing about the contents and "rules"
of everyone's posts. It's very simple, if you're not interested in it,
don't read it!

Who's obsessing? It's another subject of discussion.

Old April 13th 04, 05:10 PM
Ann Knight

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:23:41 UTC, "Peggy"
wrote:

I think everyone should just stop obsessing about the contents and "rules"
of everyone's posts. It's very simple, if you're not interested in it,
don't read it!

This isn't about content, it's about netiquette. Netiquette is not
something invented off-the-cuff by oldbies to torture and flame
newbies, it's to make Usenet more enjoyable for everyone's use.

I've been wondering how I could've phrased my post about crossposting
so that it would've been better received. I prefer to think I've
helped someone, as opposed to flaming them.

Old April 13th 04, 05:24 PM
Penny S

wrote:

I think everyone should just stop obsessing about the contents and
"rules" of everyone's posts. It's very simple, if you're not
interested in it, don't read it!

This isn't about content, it's about netiquette. Netiquette is not
something invented off-the-cuff by oldbies to torture and flame
newbies, it's to make Usenet more enjoyable for everyone's use.

I've been wondering how I could've phrased my post about crossposting
so that it would've been better received. I prefer to think I've
helped someone, as opposed to flaming them.

You didn't flame. Flaming usually but not always will contain some (or all)
of the following or similar words or phrases: clueless, ignorant, dumbass,
stupid, "my point indicates", "pointless argument", "it should be obvious",
..... etc. g

Penny

Old April 13th 04, 07:19 PM

Peggy wrote:
It seems to me that this subject became a much longer discussion than any
sewing issue!

Yes, and that happens on Usenet as well.

Old April 13th 04, 11:39 PM
Peggy

It's funny Ann, when I look back I can't find one single post by you in any
of the sewing discussions!
--
http://www.babygardengifts.com