Cast Iron cookware question

Old July 24th 03, 03:21 AM
Cathy Collins

Default Cast Iron cookware question

Jenn-

I am by no means a cast iron cookware expert, but my mom taught me to use it
as I was growing up and learning to cook.

The best I would offer would be to heat the skillet and get the layer of
grease warm enough to drain out the bulk of it (into a can and then throw
away in garbage).

Then I would wash it in very hot soapy water and then dry it by putting it
on a hot burner on your oven just long enough to get the dampness off; not
long enough to make it "smoke" or scorch.

Then I would use a light cooking oil on a paper towel and lightly rub it
into the skillet. Not a lot; just a very thin coating. Then it should be
ready to use when you are ready to cook with it.

At least, this is what I was taught to do; don't know that it is "right",
but my cast iron skillet has been in use for years now and still looks great
after this care.

Hope this helps!

Cathy
Please visit my cross-stitch album:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mommycollins01

"JAKL" wrote in message
I know this was discussed back in January, I've already checked archives

and
can't quite find the information that I want.....

I've just been given a couple cast iron skillets with absolutely no idea

of how
they've been cared for in the past. One has some kind of grease in the

inside
of the pan, about a half inch thick. I don't know if this was intended as

protectant or if the prior owner cooked something and forgot to clean up
afterwards.

There were some comments in the prior thread about how a skillet was

nearly
destroyed by a babysitter by putting it in the dishwasher, and it seemed

that
the general consensus was no soap and evenly divided on water to rinse or

not.

What I'm looking to find out is how do I deal with the layer of grease

that
currently exists in the large pan, and then how do I get these pans into

shape?
I'm going to assume that they've been neglected, especially as the

boyfriend
is telling me that soap and water is fine for cleaning cast iron despite

what
all of you have said in the past.

Thanks in advance!

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)

Old July 24th 03, 01:54 PM
Bob&Becky

Yes, exactly how I was taught to care for mine, and I have some that I
bought 33 years ago when I was first married that are still cooking just
fine.

Becky

Old July 25th 03, 03:34 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Actually, salt is a great way to clean cast iron - with a dry cloth or
heavy paper towel. It's a mighty scrubber that doesn't damage the pan.
Soap and water is a no-no with cast iron, for it takes away the
"seasoning". Gary gave me a lengthy "how to" this past winter. Yep.
There was quite a discussion on cast-iron pans.

I know this is the accepted wisdom, but I have been using mild soap and
water for years on my cast iron skillet with no deterioration of the
"seasoning". I clean it immediately, when it doesn't need vigorous
scrubbing, with a light circular motion, rinse it, and dry it completely
before putting it away. Since things don't stick to it, it really never
needs to be scrubbed.

Barbara
Old July 25th 03, 06:25 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

When you say "immediately", do you mean right after removing the food
after cooking? Not trying to be impertinent. I'm asking because I
always get little hard spots that need to be "scrubbed". :-) My stuff
always "sticks" - even if just a little. And almost always in the same
"spots". I seasoned it perfectly in the oven, too, and always rub it
with olive oil and heat it slightly before putting away. It's a new pan
(about a year old). I don't cook with it very often.
Dianne

Old July 26th 03, 11:34 AM
Pat Dumas

Actually, Dianne, I find JUST water and scrubby RIGHT after cooking
lifts everything off immediately. Just my $.02 about what works for me
and my beloved cast iron pan.

Then, yes, I do continue to season.

Pat

Old July 27th 03, 05:02 PM
Liz Hampton

I use hot water and a nylon scrubber right after I take the food out, then
put it on the stove on medium heat until it is dry, then immediately put a
little bit of canola oil in and wipe it around with a paper towel. This
only takes a couple of minutes to do and the pan cools off while we are
eating, then it is ready to be put away.

LittleBit

Isn't your dinner cold, though, by the time you finish cleaning the pan???
Liz from Humbug

Old July 27th 03, 07:23 PM
Pat Dumas

LOL... I have to admit, yeah, sometimes... grin

Pat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
LittleBit wrote:
"I use hot water and a nylon scrubber right after I take the food out,
then put it on the stove on medium heat until it is dry, then
immediately put a little bit of canola oil in and wipe it around with a
paper towel. This only takes a couple of minutes to do and the pan
cools off while we are eating, then it is ready to be put away."

To which Liz Hampton responded:
"Isn't your dinner cold, though, by the time you finish cleaning the
pan???"

That was my question, Liz, but I thought better about asking. I didn't
want to appear inept. For me, getting it all on the table "hot" is
prime. grin
Dianne

Old July 27th 03, 10:45 PM
Elizabeth Bonello

"Liz Hampton" wrote in message

I use hot water and a nylon scrubber right after I take the food out,

then
put it on the stove on medium heat until it is dry, then immediately put

little bit of canola oil in and wipe it around with a paper towel. This
only takes a couple of minutes to do and the pan cools off while we are
eating, then it is ready to be put away.

LittleBit

Isn't your dinner cold, though, by the time you finish cleaning the pan???
Liz from Humbug

I've never noticed it, but that's probably because I can't eat or drink
things that are very hot. I just can't get my "swallow" to work, so I
always wait until my food/drinks are lukewarm to eat. My family hasn't
complained, so it can't be *that* bad (my DH is 1st generation Sicilian, and
I tease him that complaining must be the national pastime over there)!

LittleBit