OT Bwa-Ha-Ha! Getting the Holiday Baking done

Old December 6th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Bwa-Ha-Ha! Getting the Holiday Baking done

I have been fretting about my holiday baking.
Usually I go completely overboard, which has resulted in our unofficial
household holiday, "Trekking to the Post Office and Making Them Work".
Wherein we take boxes full of goodies adding up to about $100 in postage
to the post office and send them hither and yon. Then stop for cocoa and
somebody else's baking on the way home.

This year I am not going overboard.
Even before DH sat me down for a chat about how I should not try to do so
much this year, I had figured it out and was fretting about it.
Oh I can probably do some of the daintier things myself. I can no doubt
manage some pressed cookies like spritz and what have you as well.
However there are things that take a bit of oomph to manage. The
gingerbread, the stollen, the fruitcake and one of the lebkuchen are at
least beyond my lifting limit to say nothing of requiring a bit of
strength to handle in their raw undivided into portions state.

I was looking over my recipes trying to figure out which I could safely
delegate to DH or DD3, and which I could cut out entirely, when I had a
brainwave.

I have decided to take on an apprentice or two.
One gentleman of our acquaintance has been making noises about going to
culinary school. Since he recently had to move back in with his mother I
called her up and asked if I could borrow him for the holiday baking. I
of course mentioned that I would be sending him home with some of the
fruits of his labors. She indicated that she thought he would be
delighted to help out, and if he wasn't she would beat him down to our
house with an ox goad. And by the way would we be teaching him how to
make orange marmalade or the cookies that taste like crunch berries?
He later called to confirm that he would be happy to help. I told him to
bring his mom if she would like to come along, and her boyfriend if he
wanted to come as well.

With that success I have been thinking over the people we know and trying
to think of who might have an interest, or at least be desperate to lay
hands on certain recipes. I figure that we could have a couple of baking
parties and so get the job done, and have fun at the same time.

Alas! The strawberry extract I use for the "crunch berry" cookies has
been sold out everywhere I shop (Boyajian), so unless I can lay hands on
some Fragoli or the other Italian strawberry liqueur the name of which is
escaping me at the minute, there will be no crunch berry cookies this
year. If you are wondering they are naught but those cookies that you
fuss with to make pinwheels, or checkerboards, or what have you, with
strawberry in them. I usually divide the dough, put vanilla in one half
which stays white, and put the strawberry flavoring in the other half
which turns it pink, then make pinwheels of it. Sometimes I add a drop
or two of red food coloring to make the pink half pinker.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old December 6th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Sounds delicious! I hope you're able to find some more apprentices who
can bake with you.

I did peek over at amazon and you can get strawberry extract through
them. They had several brands so in a pinch it might be worth ordering
if they have the kind you like.

marcella

Old December 6th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

And I can get my pralines packed and shipped to some of our deployed. I am
not going to ask where all she's been or if any of it was legal but Mary has
stalked the military for me. I had to have a 'person' to address the candy
to and hooo-boy, did Mary ever find me some fellers. The post office
paperwork is heaps more involved than getting a marriage license. Well.
Except we won't have to have a blood test for syphilis. Maybe. Polly

Old December 6th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

By golly if I lived any where near to you, I'd volunteer! We would
have a fun time!
I spent many years doing baking for the holidays. Growing up, my
mother did a week long baking marathon, pressed cookies being one of
the many kinds. Plus fruitcakes, pies, etc.

Ginger in CA
very windy and verrry cold!

Old December 6th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Wish I could be your apprentice! Sounds like a good plan. (Although
IME some people work harder trying to delegate than if they did it
themselves.... but you're a sensible organized person, right?)
Roberta in D

Old December 7th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

The lebkuchen recipe I use would definitely be too much strain.
The first Thanksgiving DH and I spent with my parents, he was asked to
help mix the lebkuchen. He was warned that people have broken wooden
spoons doing so. He did too.
Liz

Old December 9th 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I had a peek and was all excited to see that they had the Boyajian.
Unfortunately it was out of stock in every case.
I might try some Fairies Finest. I have been happy with other flavors
from them, so it would be worth the experiment.

NightMist

Old December 9th 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Well, I like to think I am a sensible and organized person.
I could easily work hard supervising the baking, but I shouldn't.
Not because it would be physically taxing, but because I would drive
myself and everyone else stark staring mad!

DH thinks we should enthrone me in the kitchen with a wooden spoon
scepter. Sitting upon my throne I would be responsible for bestowing a
thumbs up or a bonk on the head with my scepter upon my serfs as they
present me with assorted stages of assorted nummy things.

I think that is taking things a bit far.
I am at least going to cream some butter and sugar, or maybe run the
stand mixer. I am a whiz with a cookie press too! Besides, such tasks
will help keep me out of mischief.

NightMist

wrote:

[...]

Baking suggestion... Carol In WI Needlework 9 September 28th 06 07:55 PM
baking stones Shaun Ginsbourg Pottery 5 March 16th 06 11:53 AM
OT - A Baking we will go.... Sharon Harper Quilting 2 February 13th 05 04:35 AM
OT Holiday Baking seaspray Yarn 56 December 16th 03 12:14 AM
Baking Question Rachel Polymer Clay 4 December 2nd 03 06:00 PM