Problem with Machine Applique

Old November 4th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Default Problem with Machine Applique

I am working on a quilt for my DS. The center medallion is a free
pattern from Quiltmaker Magazine, Catty Rompus:

http://quiltmaker.com/webextras/patt123/
The spider is:
http://quiltmaker.com/webextras/patt122/

I chose to do this using fusible web (Mistyfuse), which I ironed down
~1.5-2 years ago. Yes, I know that's a long time, but life got in the
way and I have just now started working on it again. The fusible web
was not holding very well in spots (possibly due to the time lapse?).
I somehow did not recognize that until after I had done the spider,
which is slightly less that 1.5" in diameter. I ended up with a
problem spot at the bottom of it, and at this point I'm not sure how
to fix it. It almost looks like I missed the edge completely, but I
was certain at the time that I was catching it all the way around.
However, I did it rather early one morning and I'm not sure how awake
I was at the time, so who knows what really happened?

You can see an exported EQ6 picture of the quilt and the problem with
the spider at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/575384884JkpCcB

I am open to any suggestions on the best way to fix it. I am
concerned that I might accidentally cut the background fabric if I try
to remove the satin stitch.

Thanks,
Bev in TX
Old November 4th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Bev in TX wrote:
[...]

I usually find that it is easier to remove stitching like this from the
back. The bobbin thread is usually easier to pick out than the top
thread. Slide a small quick-unpick into the stitching at the back and
cut ONLY the bobbin thread. If you do this at each end of the problem
area, you should then be able to unpick a few stitches, and grab the end
of the thread with some sharp nosed pliers and pull it out without
damaging the backing fabric as the bobbin thread doesn't go through the
fabric at all if you have ballanced the stitch to lock on the underside.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 4th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Kate XXXXXX wrote:
Bev in TX wrote:
[...]

I was going to suggest unpicking from the back too. Don't pull too fast
or too much at once. Once you start unpicking you can carefully cut off
extra thread ends with a fine pair of scissors - keep the scissors flat
against the fabric so all you trim off is your threads.
Allison
Old November 4th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I think you'd manage to unpick it if you are careful, on the off chance
you do damage the backing fabric you could fuse some lightweight fabric
to the back, then use a slightly bigger body to cover up the damage.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 4th 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

It might be possible to put a wider satin stitch on top of the one that's
there. I frequently put satin stitch over satin stitch when doing a
monogram. You would want to go slow and use a Serious backing and loosen
the pressure and tension so you don't get a bog . . . but it can be done.
Practice first if you're going to try it. Polly

Old November 4th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

and it needs a couple of eyes down there too i think.
add more to cover the things you dont like much.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...

Old November 4th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Yessss, Jeanne. 500 points to you. Putting eyes over the oops is a great
idea. Lots easier than the alternatives and the eyes have got to be
somewhere; that's as good place as any. Polly

Old November 4th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

If it were my spider, I would stuff it! I don't mean for you to
remove any stitches but instead: place a piece of poly batting behind
the spider's body and then do a line of stitching to hold it down -
satin stitch again over your original stitches through the batting
then trim away any excess from the back - do this before layering the
final quilt sandwich - when doing the final quilting, free-motion the
spider circle again and you will have a dimensional spider body that
will hide any defects. Attach the button eyes where you feel they are
appropriate. jennellh

Old November 5th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Polly Esther wrote:
It might be possible to put a wider satin stitch on top of the one
that's there. I frequently put satin stitch over satin stitch when
doing a monogram. You would want to go slow and use a Serious backing
and loosen the pressure and tension so you don't get a bog . . . but it
can be done. Practice first if you're going to try it. Polly

I'd thought of that, but I wondered if it would end up too thick. It
also occurred that the thickness you'd need to cover that section might
also make it look all out of proportion with the other parts of the design.

I like Jeanne's idea of eyes!

Cheers
Anne
Old November 5th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Thanks for all of the suggestions :-).

I looked under very bright light and still cannot see the threads to
cut on the backside. I used a very dense, narrow satin stitch and I
just cannot see (of course it probably also has something to do with
the fact that I just don't see as well as I used to). I widened the
satin stitch after the spider problem and I am able to see the
stitches on what I did later.

I am sending the quilt to my DSIL to be quilted on her long arm, which
is in AZ. She is going to deliver it to my DS, who is in CA. So I
will not be able to make any adjustments after the top is completed
and sent of to her.

I checked the eye placement by just laying the button eyes on the
bottom, rather than on the top, as Jeanne suggested and I think it
looks rather well that way. In fact my DH wandered in and, without me
telling him what I was doing, he exclaimed that the eyes belong there
instead of on top. So, thanks for a fix that actually looks better
than the original :-). You can see a picture of that (buttons are not
sewn down yet), in my webshots folder. The flash washed out the
color, but you can still see how the eyes look down there :-).
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...57527182mGOzpr

I'm going to zigzag over the problem area -- just lightly -- and then
sew on the eye buttons.

Thanks again!
Bev in TX