Do SOMETHING new

Old January 1st 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default Do SOMETHING new

Thanks for the.... er, impetus. I might even get myself to try hand
dyeing!
Roberta in D

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:38:52 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I guess I'm getting too many peculiar offers in the spam trash I'm letting
through and not suggesting that you get a university degree by mail or send
the balance in your savings account to some prince in Ballawongabanga. What
I'm wanting you to do in our Happy New Year is DO something you've always
wanted to do or at least try.
No bungee jumping. No spelunking ( is that the word for diving in a
cave?)
No resolutions to lose 500 pounds, quit chewing your toenails or love
your sister-in-law.
Have you ever yearned to create a Baltimore Album? do curves? conquer
paper-piecing or abandon squares/triangles and go 'artsy/crazy' just once?
I think I'll do a miniature. Always wanted to give it a try. ( Pat on
her Green will faint dead-away.)
What have you always wanted to do but put it off? If you want to ride a
mule down into the Grand Canyon or have a shot at a fine Lone Star in colors
'you' love, let's go for it. Happy New Year. Let's just wallow in the
opportunities. Polly .... off to find my lighted magnifying glass

Old January 1st 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly I love your suggestion. It is one I completely intend to take up
as my own. For my venture into the unknown, I'm going to clean up my
sewing room and organize things where I can find them when I want
them.

Sunny
not really joking.
Old January 1st 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

I started by doing something old. I finished recovering my dining room
chairs. It's been in progress for about ten years, but this weekend I
did the last three chairs. Now to think about something new.
Liz (a miniature sounds interesting)
Old January 1st 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Gosh Sunny, that is scarrier than the bungee jump idea. I am wishing you
luck for your adventure. : )

I am signed up for a Judy Martin class at the end of this month. PP isn't
new but I keep trying to like it.
If I could like it that would be new.

My real new thing this year is dabbling in
reupholstering. We'll see how that goes. First I need
to win that HGTV dream house. I haven't seen it yet but I bet it would make
a good quilt retreat venue.
Taria

Old January 1st 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Me, I'm going to attempt paper-piecing. It looks easy enough; I've
just never got a Round Tuit.

They're very rare, you know.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old January 1st 11, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 01/01/11 23:03, Sartorresartus wrote:
Me, I'm going to attempt paper-piecing. It looks easy enough; I've
just never got a Round Tuit.

They're very rare, you know.

And of course you will need a Long Felt Want to go with your Round Tuit :-)

Lizzy
Old January 2nd 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Oh, Sunny, a gal after my own heart!

Two weeks ago I got the yarn sorted into solids, multi-colors, baby &
sport, bulky and cotton.
Last weekend I did all my patterns that are standalone, by applique,
paper-pieced, pieced, non-quilty. This does not include the articles
and patterns culled from magazines. I also started on the material.
This weekend will complete the fabric sorting. There are 3 more
drawers of the high boy left to do, but I have run out of good
daylight for today.
So far I have 2 10 gallon containers of southwest fabric. Plus there
are separate sorting boxes for yellow/gold, blue, batiks, green,
orange, purple, red/pink, holiday/motif, brown, juvenile, and neutral
[black, gray, cream]. So if anyone is looking for a particular fabric,
please let me know off-group. I have [2] 20 gallon containers of
batting

There is a container that holds "projects" that needs to be reviewed.
All the thread, pins, scissors, beads will be done during the week or
next weekend.

The good thing about all this is that I am not-so-gently reminded how
much I have, and dissuades me from accumulating more. And it feels
good to fondle fabric, think about what I want to do with my creative
energy this year.

Ginger in CA
cold and cloudy - rain is coming!

Old January 2nd 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_4_]

Me too. I don't make New Year resolutions, I made a promise to myself and I
don't break promises if I can help it.

--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Old January 2nd 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

I don't make resolutions, either. I do want to do a proper crazy
quilt, with velvets, satins, embroidery, etc.
I joined a Yahoo group for it and the girls are very creative and
helpful. I do also want to get my quilt business in gear.
Not sure if I want to open a shop or supply shops with finished
products. Still contemplating that idea.
Also want to finish the UFO's in my closet. They all need batting and
quilting, the tops and backing are finished.
FMQ would be a fun thing to keep practicing at, but space now is
limited and I would love to get my own place first.