New to Group and Glad I Found You

Old November 12th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

Default Musicmaker and Fabric & welcome to Zimmy New to Group and Glad I Found You

Am I the only member of RCTQ that is curious to know how in the world
Musicmaker was out shopping for fabric when she was a year old & already had
a stash???

Welcome to RCTQ Zimmy. You have been very productive in such a short time.
I have decided I need to make a 'bucket list" for all of my UFO's. I'm
almost afraid to do it, because then I will truly have to admit how many I
actually have. Is there a 12 step program for quilters with too many UFO's
& too much fabric & too many notions & an abundance of books & magazines? I
need to sign up!

Pauline
Northern California

"Musicmaker" wrote in message
Welcome to the group Zimmy. Keep your eyes open for the next
invitation on rctq to be in the directory. THEN we'll be able to send
you occasional, precious, and oft anonymous surprises in the mail like
CHOCOLATE (which I noticed you didn't name your preference). I
remember when I was a year old. Every chance I got I bought more
fabric for my stash, much of which I eventually gave away because I
realized that I'd bought it without even knowing what my tastes in
quilts and fabric would develop into. Be discriminating!

Musicmaker

Old November 12th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Musicmaker and Fabric

Howdy!

For a quilter, I don't find that at all curious.

R/Sandy

Old November 12th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

Pauline wrote:
Am I the only member of RCTQ that is curious to know how in the world
Musicmaker was out shopping for fabric when she was a year old &
already had a stash???

Welcome to RCTQ Zimmy. You have been very productive in such a short
time. I have decided I need to make a 'bucket list" for all of my
UFO's. I'm almost afraid to do it, because then I will truly have to
admit how many I actually have. Is there a 12 step program for
quilters with too many UFO's & too much fabric & too many notions & an
abundance of books & magazines? I need to sign up!

Pauline
Northern California

I recommend retail therapy. LOL! a few new fabrics will get you sorting
as you will have to find a home for them amoung the rest right??
ruby
Old November 13th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Default New to Group and Glad I Found You

On Nov 11, 3:21*pm, Zimmy wrote:

M&M's plain

Ah, but what SIZE M&M's plain? Hmmm???

From the time my DW & I were in college, we used to count the colors
of every M&M in every bag (plain, of course) we bought for Y-E-A-R-
S... We still have the data on little sheets of paper in the 3x5
recipe box. Didn't matter what size bag - we even did it with bulk
purchases, we just recorded the weight along with the numbers and
dates. At first it drove our friends crazy - we'd open a bag (whether
we bought it or they brought it) pull out a big bowl and a bunch of
small ones, and everybody took a color and started counting... Nobody
could eat a single one until the tally was complete. No, we're not
OCD - we're just plain weird, it was cheap entertainment for kids
without enough money to do more than buy a bag of candy for kicks, and
it prolonged the experience. "An-tic-i-pa-tion... An-tic-i-pa-ay-tion
is makin' me wait..." Eventually our friends succumbed, and even
looked forward to participating in the ritual and reviewing the data
from past bags... It was our intention to one day write and publish
an article about it. I spoze it'll still make a chapter in our
memoirs if we ever get around to writing them.

Then they went and dumped tan, added blue, and changed the mix
ratio.... !@#$%^&*()!!! Sucked the fun right out of a decades-old
tradition in our household, and I can't say we've counted a bag
since... :-(

"Oh, what a looooong strange trip it's been..."

Dr. Smith
Oh, the pain... THE PAIN...
Old November 13th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hi Zimmy!
Welcome to the Land of RCTQ. We have fun
here, no moderator, no rules. The only thing you really need to know is that
it is very wise to have your chocolate vetted. Just send a pound or two to
the Office of the Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ, which is in my Palace
here in Virginia. I will test and taste and report back via email. You don't
have to thank me ... this is my unselfish volunteer duty in RCTQ. A tough
job, but someone's gotta do it.

Pat In Virginia/USA

Old November 13th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hi Again, Zimmy,
Thanks for your offer to share the m&ms. First you need to have your
chocolate vetted. See my other message, posted a couple minutes ago, for
details.
Grins, Pat in Virginia, Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ

"Zimmy" wrote in message

Gee! You guys were right, I forgot about the chocolate, I really like
dark chocolate, love Molton Lava Cakes, M&M's plain and well, I love
it all with the exception of fruit flavors added to chocolate.

I also love coffee and an adult beverage or two.

I would reply to everyone but would be here for the rest of the
afternoon. You all confirmed my suspicions, you are a great bunch.

Zimmy

PS will bring M and M's next visit

Old November 13th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Counting your Ms ... New to Group and Glad I Found You

Howdy!

Thank god y'all found quilting.

My M&Ms story:
I ran away from home when I was 4, on my trike;
3 yr old brother tagging along, babysitter asleep in front of the t.v.;
we had to cross Main Street to get where I was going - about 2 miles
to my dad's shop at the brick factory; on the other side of
Main Street was the coffee shop we always went to, so we stopped
in for our usual bag of M&Ms; the owner didn't question why
we were alone, but soon after he was on the phone to my folks;
3 blocks south of there, still on our trikes, we turned the
corner (I really did know the way) to head down the right street,
and there was my dad in his truck, making a left-hand turn,
heading home for lunch; he didn't see us! But I knew he'd be going
back to the brick-shop so we kept going that way.
A few blocks later idiot brother fell off his trike when a dog scared him;
the dog's owner came out to call off the dog, and the jig was up:
parents were called, came to pick us up, idiot brother still bawling his
head off (I've never liked him); babysitter was fired that day
and Dad took us to the shop for the afternoon, Mom went back to work
at the jewelry factory. At supper Mom asked, "How'd you get across
Main Street, Sandra?" "Waited 'til all the cars were gone &
we runned across!" One of the few times I did not get a whippin' for
following my own course. G
I remember the brother having to stop every few feet so he could eat his
M&Ms; I was riding one-handed, M's clutched in my free hand, snorfling the
candy out of the bag; he was lagging behind, which is why the dog rushed
him. I could multi-task even at that age. ;-P
Later Mom took us to the coffee shop to pay for our candy (I didn't
know how that worked; I just thought the guy gave out M&Ms); he wouldn't
take payment, he was laughing so hard at our story. I always like him.

R/Sandy - trying to decide which quilt to start next - Got fabric?

On 11/13/09 12:11 PM, in article
, "Dr.
Zachary Smith" wrote:

On Nov 11, 3:21*pm, Zimmy wrote:

M&M's plain

Ah, but what SIZE M&M's plain? Hmmm???

From the time my DW & I were in college, we used to count the colors

Old November 14th 09, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

That was a fun read! (Although I did feel just a bit sorry for your
poor parents ;-)
Roberta in D

Zachary Smith" wrote:

On Nov 11, 3:21*pm, Zimmy wrote:

M&M's plain

Ah, but what SIZE M&M's plain? Hmmm???

From the time my DW & I were in college, we used to count the colors

Old November 14th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz Megerle

Default More M&Ms New to Group and Glad I Found You

There was a time in elementary school when my mom would give my brother
and me each a small package of M&Ms for dessert after supper. We'd pour
them out on the table, arrange them by color, and compare the number of
red ones.
One evening, his package contained all reds. Mine was all browns. Mom
said it took them quite a few tries to peel open the packages without
damage so they could glue them closed again.

Liz

From the time my DW & I were in college, we used to count the colors

Old November 14th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

....And nowadays you can buy bags of all one designer color at an
inflated price.

When I was a toddler, mom had a bottle of Coricidin cold pills in the
kitchen cabinet.
For the uninitiated, they're indistinguishable from red M&Ms - same
color, shape, & size (or they were at the time, anyway) Mom was
careful to keep them out of my reach, because she recognized the
problem (why she never tossed them and bought a different product I've
never been able to figure...) One day the inevitable *did* happen;
anyone who's ever bitten into one of those li'l suckers knows the
lesson I learned that day... ;-)

Doc

On Nov 14, 8:38*am, Liz Megerle wrote:
There was a time in elementary school when my mom would give my brother
and me each a small package of M&Ms for dessert after supper. We'd pour
them out on the table, arrange them by color, and compare the number of
red ones.
One evening, his package contained all reds. Mine was all browns. Mom
said it took them quite a few tries to peel open the packages without
damage so they could glue them closed again.

Liz

Dr. Zachary Smith wrote:

* From the time my DW & I were in college, we used to count the colors

[...]
memoirs if we ever get around to writing them.- Hide quoted text -