Games Quilters Play

Old July 23rd 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Twila P

Default Games Quilters Play

Sometime within the next few months I'll be responsible for our quilt
guild's monthly meeting. Usually we have some kind of a demo or a talk
about a quilting related subject. I'd like to "get out of the box" and
do something different. A game night comes to mind only I need help in
figuring out games that I can relate to quilting. Bingo comes to mind
(like "B-scissors" or "G-batiks") but I don't know how to come up with
the numbers to be called so there aren't numerous winners for each game.
Have any of you played a game that was, or could be, adapted to a
quilting theme?

Old July 23rd 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Google "games for quilters" and you'll get many ideas. I did this once
and we still haven't gotten through the list.
Gen

Old July 23rd 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
(Twila P) wrote:

Sometime within the next few months I'll be responsible for our quilt
guild's monthly meeting. Usually we have some kind of a demo or a talk
about a quilting related subject. I'd like to "get out of the box" and
do something different. A game night comes to mind only I need help in
figuring out games that I can relate to quilting. Bingo comes to mind
(like "B-scissors" or "G-batiks") but I don't know how to come up with
the numbers to be called so there aren't numerous winners for each game.
Have any of you played a game that was, or could be, adapted to a
quilting theme?

We've had two different games played at our guild that were hits.

We did Bingo but called it Quilto. No need to add an extra column
though. Just make a grid of 5 x 5 on paper and label the center square
"free".

Now, think something fun up for the rest of the squares. We did things
like: someone who is left handed, someone whose favorite color is
orange, someone who hand quilts, someone whose birthday is this month,
and so on.

When people came in they got a Quilt-o card,a pen, and a slip of paper.
They printed their name on the slip of paper and handed it back and we
stuck it in a container.

Then they had to mingle and find people who fit one of those squares.
Some of them fit several but they could only put their name in one
square per card. So, I could sign the left handed thing on one persons
card and the hand quilter thing on another persons card, but I couldn't
put my name more than once on a card. Make sense?

Then we played and we pulled names out of the container. It was really
fun. It got people talking to each other and to people they wouldn't
normally talk to just to fill in those squares.

The other came was left, right, center. There are actually dice with
these letters on it.
http://www.toycrossing.com/lcr/

Each table (we sat in tables of 8 people) got just one of the dice.
Everyone brought 10 - 5" squares (though you could pick any number and
any shape of fabric like 2 1/2" strips or bigger squares or whatever)

First person rolls the die. If "L" comes up they pass a fabric piece to
the left, if "R" comes up they pass one right and if "C" comes up they
put one in the center of the table.

You go around the table until there is only one person left with fabric.
They get the pile plus all the fabric in the center.

Everyone got a pattern that used 5" squares. It was fun and took longer
than expected so I wouldn't necessarily have people bring more than 10
of anything.

marcella
Old July 26th 12, 06:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Twila P

Many, many thanks to all of you. I'm good to go! I'll let you know how
it goes after it happens. Thanks again.

Old July 30th 12, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I'm a little late here, but I've been out of town. My guild had a game day
at our last meeting. The girl in charge did a fantastic job, and everyone
left with smiles and some prizes! First, she handed out bandanas in
different colors. I happened to be orange. I then found the other "orange"
people, and we were on one team. They kept a large whiteboard with a chart
for the games, showing each team. 5 points were given for each 1st place, 3
points for second, 2 for third, and 1 for everyone else. I hope I can
remember all the games!

In the first one, each team was given 6 rolls of crepe paper and a roll of
scotch tape. We had to choose one person to be the "model", and then we had
three minutes to come up with a plan and 5 minutes to dress our model! For
example, we decided on a Hawaiian theme, and made a grass skirt and flowers
for the hair and boobs! Can I say that on here? By rounds of applause, we
decided on the winners! Some were really cute, and we had one mummy!

Another game was a relay race. We lined up by team and on a GO signal, the
first person on each team went to a table where there were needles and a
single, 6 " length of thread per team. They had to thread the needle and
return to the line. Then the second person had to add a second needle to
the same piece of thread, and on and on. If any needle fell off, it had to
be replaced by the person who dropped it! The first team done was the
winner.

In another game, each team was given two strips of fabric (36" long) sewn
together lengthwise. They were about 3 inches wide each. We were also
given a seam ripper (99 cent variety). The object was to see which team
could "unsew" the most. There could be no holes and no little pieces of
thread showing. Also, they blew a horn every minute and we had to pass the
ripper on to the next person. In other words, one person couldn't do all
the ripping (unless they did it in under 1 minute). The others "picked" the
threads off.

Another one. This was done on an individual basis; not a team. We all had
to stand, and then sit down if we were "guilty" of certain things.
Like...sewing a pin into a quilt, or melting an iron shape into the
carpeting in your sewing room, or cutting your pattern pieces too small,
etc., etc. The last lady standing won a prize.

Also, they had a poem something about a well dressed quilter. It, too, was
an individual game. Certain things were called out with a number of points.
For example, you got 2 points for each button you had on your clothing, or 4
points if you had green eyes. Other things we a red top, pearls,
sandals, earrings, etc. etc. Each person had a piece of paper to keep track
of their points "on the honor system".

And, I think the last one was Quilting Jeopardy. I don't know where they
got the buzzers, but there was a different color buzzer for each team, and
only one team could buzz in at a time. I did the "buzzing" for our team.
Then they showed slides with either questions or pictures, and the first
team to buzz in with the correct answer got a point. If they had the wrong
answer, they lost a point. We went through about 40 questions, and it was
tough!

Anyway, my team won with the most points, so each of us got a crown and a
$20 gift certificate to JoAnn's.

If you're interested in any of these and need more information, just let me
know!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old July 30th 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_2_]

Alice, I would love to have more details about your guild game night. I'm
co-chairing programs for my guild and I have booked speakers all the way
thru April of 2014, but I booked a really pricey speaker in January of 2014,
so I'd love to have something fun, like a game night, to help keep the
budget balanced! I know our guild has Quilto in their storage room, but
every time someone brings up Quilto, I hear a collective groan. Must have
all happened before my time, because I have never played Quilto. The games
you mentioned sound like a lot of fun!

Pauline
Northern California

Old July 30th 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Pauline,

You can email me at: abonnell @ ptd . net (leave out the spaces) I'll try
to help you out!

Old July 31st 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

My guild always has one less expensive meeting called a Gadget Night.
It sometimes takes a little arm twisting but find at least six members
to prepare a ten minute presentation on some new gadget (or technique)
they love. Create demonstration stations around the outside of the
room. As members enter that night they draw a number which tells them
at which table to start. Once the business portion of the meeting is
over members gather around their starting station. The presentations
must be short because in ten minutes a bell is rung and members move
clockwise to the next station. Each presenter is given $10 toward
materials for their demonstration. This is also a good mixer time.

Susan

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:53:10 -0700, "Pauline"
wrote:

Alice, I would love to have more details about your guild game night. I'm
co-chairing programs for my guild and I have booked speakers all the way
thru April of 2014, but I booked a really pricey speaker in January of 2014,
so I'd love to have something fun, like a game night, to help keep the
budget balanced! I know our guild has Quilto in their storage room, but
every time someone brings up Quilto, I hear a collective groan. Must have
all happened before my time, because I have never played Quilto. The games
you mentioned sound like a lot of fun!

Pauline
Northern California

"Alice in PA" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

'The Quilters' Play Pat in Virginia Quilting 3 June 29th 08 07:54 PM
FA: Vintage Play-Doh Play Stone Presto-Molder Set, c. 1970 fishnet Marketplace 0 December 27th 07 05:08 AM
Come play with me Kate Dicey Quilting 40 January 21st 06 05:16 PM
DVD Movies, PS2 games and Xbox games on Sales. whizzkid Marketplace 0 December 6th 05 01:46 PM
The Quilters play Susan Laity Price Quilting 3 March 24th 04 10:31 AM