Not really OT...or is it??

Old June 24th 04, 02:39 PM
CNYstitcher

Default Not really OT...or is it??

How would you explain that you don't want people to BUY you quilts
(particularly from www.shopgoodwill.com!)
Mother said she was getting some quilting books and magazines sent to
me....first box got her yesterday, and .....no bookx...no
magazines.....but a quilted wallhanging (in colors that arenot found
anywhere in the house) and several mismatched quilted pillowcases......

Gah!!! I'm tired of this, but she doesn't seem to get
it.....and....what would you suggest that I do with everything that came
in the box?? DH suggested donating it back to goodwill or giving it to
salvation army

Larisa, totally frustrated

Old June 24th 04, 02:53 PM
georg

CNYstitcher wrote:

How would you explain that you don't want people to BUY you quilts
(particularly from www.shopgoodwill.com!)
Mother said she was getting some quilting books and magazines sent to
me....first box got her yesterday, and .....no bookx...no
magazines.....but a quilted wallhanging (in colors that arenot found
anywhere in the house) and several mismatched quilted pillowcases......

I can't picture experiencing this, so I have no advice on this topic. My
mom did offer to buy JC Penny quilts (handquilted in China type thing),
and I told her no thank you- the quilts I wanted were those she enjoyed
making and a large part of wanting was because she had made them.
Because she crafts things, she understood. I haven't gotten any more
quilts- but oh the counted-cross stitch she gave me for Kissmoose last
year!

I think my sister-in-law may have the reverse problem with my mum,
though. Mom bought her a sewing machine and nagged me into getting her
"Sewing for Dummies". Mom keeps buying her patterns and Jo-Anns gift
certs, and I still haven't heard of anything that my sister-in-law has
sewn. I haven't bought anything else for her along those lines, and I
won't unless she requests it.

Gah!!! I'm tired of this, but she doesn't seem to get
it.....and....what would you suggest that I do with everything that came
in the box?? DH suggested donating it back to goodwill or giving it to
salvation army

Donate to the humane society. Puppies and kitties don't care about color
or pattern as long as it's warm. And then it won't reappear on the
goodwill website.

-georg

Old June 24th 04, 02:57 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
CNYstitcher wrote:

Gah!!! I'm tired of this, but she doesn't seem to get
it.....and....what would you suggest that I do with everything that came
in the box?? DH suggested donating it back to goodwill or giving it to
salvation army

I'd follow your husbands advice and donate it somewhere. Maybe some
would be suitable for a shelter, if not, back to goodwill and let them
earn some more money on it.

What a pain though!

marcella

Old June 24th 04, 03:57 PM
Amy Tomey

I can see it now...

In the next box...
Look, honey! I found pillows that match the ones I sent you last month.

Old June 24th 04, 05:28 PM
Shirley Ellen

I'd say thank you and donate it to the Salvation Army because if she cruises
the Goodwill site she might buy it again so you'll have a "pair of matching
wallhangings". There are lots of good charities.

My DD and I used to get really catty about the gifts MIL gave us for
Christmas, etc. Now we look forward to seeing if she can top herself. For my
50th birthday she gave me 8 paper plates with matching paper napkins. My
husband had invited a few people over to celebrate my birthday so when I
opened her gift I thanked her and said I appreciated that I could use those
plates for the birthday cake and not have to wash dishes.

Shirley

My Quilt Site
http://quilts.inspiring-thoughts.com

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old June 24th 04, 10:17 PM
Sharon Harper

Do the kids have a cubby house? Play room? Give it to them to play cowboys
and injuns, doctors and nurses, masters and slaves, whatever! Kids love
those sorts of things.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old June 25th 04, 04:25 AM
Leslie in Missouri

My mother gives me things that are totally not "me" as well as
hand-me-down clothes that do not fit and/or are not my style at all. I
would love to get rid of them, but she comes to "visit" them..... like
"Oh, Leslie, where is that lovely brown floral print jacket I gave you?
I loved that jacket and always thought it was so pretty. I want to see
it with that cute green skirt I gave you in 1978." I just store the
things so I can pull them out when she visits- she goes thru long lists
of things she wants to see. Now that I have this little bitty house,
it's a real problem......

Leslie- with the loony family roots

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old June 25th 04, 04:43 AM
SunnyQuilt

Maybe you need to just tell her you're not collecting quilts or pillowcases
made by other people because you'd rather make your own.

Reminds me of the time a friend was all excited because she'd bought me a
"quilting frame" at a yard sale and was going to mail it to me, but sent me
photos of it first. Good thing she did! It was a needlepoint frame! She doesn't
do any sewing or hand work and didn't know the difference. It was hard for me
to tell her of her mistake and that I didn't want it, but I did and we're still
friends.

SunnyQuilt