Needle Sizes

Old December 21st 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Default Needle Sizes

What is your favorite needle size for basic piecing?

I use sharps -- but have never paid much attention to size. Decided maybe
I need to learn a little about needles. I understand the numbers (thanks to
this: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...eedle-know-how) --

and I seem to mostly have 12/80.

So what do you use? Sharp? Universal? and what size do you find works
best?

--
Kate in MI

Old December 21st 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Okay. We're just talking about basic piecing, right? Nothing with contrary
metallic or skitery skooting slippery/slidey stuff? I love the plain old
Schmetz green-band size 70. They do just fine with Bernina almost all the
time on anything. *New* I think is the important word. You give your
sewing, your machine and yourself the best possible adventure by changing
needles to a fine new one quite often. Every six years is Not okay. Polly

Old December 21st 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I never use Universals with quilting cottons. I am partial to topstitching
needles for most piecing and quilting- sizes 12 for piecing and 14 for
MQ'ing. I use metallica needles for metallic threads and I have sizes 16
and 18 and 20 for heavy duty stuff- like the moon over the mountain quilt.
I quilted it in sections and when I joined two sections I had four layers of
stout Kona cotton plus two layer of W&N- then the thickness of the seams
*plus* the 'flap' stitched over the seam allowance. The was quite a job
piercing all those layers! Then I have double needles and quilting needles
and a slew of other ones in many sizes. I even have some size 8 for
machine applique with invisible thread- it makes tiny holes for that very
fine thread.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 21st 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

So much of this has to do with your own SM. There's a Viking sitting right
here beside me ( I wish!) that belongs to a friend. This particular Viking
much prefers a size 80 needle. I don't even know how to turn that one on
but I do know that a size 80 is preferred. Polly

Old December 21st 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:07:09 -0600, Kate in MI wrote
(in article ):

What is your favorite needle size for basic piecing?

I use sharps -- but have never paid much attention to size. Decided maybe
I need to learn a little about needles. I understand the numbers (thanks to
this: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...eedle-know-how) --

and I seem to mostly have 12/80.

So what do you use? Sharp? Universal? and what size do you find works
best?

For piecing, I almost always use and 80/12 Universal.

Maureen

Old December 21st 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have been going through a couple of 100 packs of 80 needles. I use them
for piecing with out much trouble. I went on a testing/buying binge a few
years ago so I have lots of kinds and sizes of needles but go with the 80's
for basic stuff. Besides the machine how the tensions are set could make a
difference maybe?
Taria

Old December 22nd 10, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

My sewing machine dealer tells about the customer who brought her machine in
for servicing because it wouldn't sew. She had NEVER EVER changed the
needle in the machine - which she had owned for several years. I don't know
how you could sew for several years without manageing to break the needle a
time or two or three. Anyway, the needle was so worn down that it would no
longer catch the bobbin thread!

Donna in Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5722 (20101221) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 22nd 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:52:18 -0600, Donna in Idaho wrote
(in article ):

My sewing machine dealer tells about the customer who brought her machine in
for servicing because it wouldn't sew. She had NEVER EVER changed the
needle in the machine - which she had owned for several years. I don't know
how you could sew for several years without manageing to break the needle a
time or two or three. Anyway, the needle was so worn down that it would no
longer catch the bobbin thread!

Donna in Idaho

I went with my friend yesterday to pick up her machine which was being fixed.
Sitting right next to it was another machine which was brought in because is
wouldn't sew. The repair guy said the needle was so old it had worn into a
u-shape.

After I got done cringing, I wondered how that lady didn't notice that
something was wrong with the needle and change it!

Maureen

Old December 22nd 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Nobody taught her any different I guess. The machine probably needed
cleaned up and serviced anyway if she was that clueless. So many older
machines I've seen in thrift stores and yard sales have the feed dogs just
packed with lint and I wonder if that is why someone stopped using it.
You know the tension is wacky when it is like that. Also needles in
backwards is common in machines folks think are dead. Some folks just don't
bother to learn about their machines or basic sewing.
Taria

Old December 22nd 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

It's because our mothers and grandmothers bought their needles in
three packs and they didn't change them until they broke.

She obviously didn't break that one. I was doing the same thing until
I came on to this list. I only changed my needle when it broke, just
like my Mum! Now I change it when it starts 'thumping'! Or, when I
need a 'jeans', hemstitch or metallic needle.

Do you think those old 'three pack' of Singer needles were tougher
than the ones we now use? They bought them at Murphy's 5 & 10 cent
store, they're all gone now. I only use Schmetz because that is what
my machine likes.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA, it's still cold here!

Needle sizes? DAB Yarn 8 October 19th 07 06:07 AM
Needle review by an admitted needle-SNOB YarnWright Yarn 23 February 14th 07 10:25 PM
Switching Needle Sizes in the Round Tiffany Yarn 3 June 16th 04 03:52 AM
US and UK knitting needle sizes? Andee Yarn 6 December 2nd 03 04:40 PM
Needle sizes AlenasMom Yarn 20 October 23rd 03 11:32 PM