Thread or pin baste for machine quilting?

Old December 20th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

Default Thread or pin baste for machine quilting?

Inspired by the Sharon Schamber videos in the thread on an upright
basting frame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjB...eature=related

I want to ask you guys about thread or pin basting for machine
quilting.

I use safety pins, and although I watched the videos, I'm not
convinced that thread basting is really quicker.

In the video she specifies to NOT quilt over the thread (makes sense)
and instead snip the thread in a couple of places for the little area
to be quilted next. But I normally quilt long stabilising lines first
(between the blocks, for example), and so would end up with only
fragments of thread left, probably not keeping block centers together
very well at all.

So, do any of you thread baste for machine quilting? How do you handle
the thread removal (during/after quilting)?

Also, have any of you ever tried Sharon Schamber's methods of basting
by using boards? I'm guessing it could be used equally well with
safety pins?

Thanks,
Hanne in DK
Old December 20th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Also, have any of you ever tried Sharon Schamber's methods of basting
by using boards? I'm guessing it could be used equally well with
safety pins?

We have and found it equally easy using thread or pins.
Also one person can do it alone!
Old December 20th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

I used it once for a small quilt and it worked very well. I used water
soluble thread for the basting.

Bev in TX