OT - Dishwasher shopping

Old November 11th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default OT - Dishwasher shopping

Has anyone here recently purchased a new dishwasher? Ours has just
stopped cleaning the dishes and needs to be replaced. It was a fairly
cheap unit 20 + years ago and has actually performed fairly well until
recently. Except is has always been very noisy. I'm looking for
something quiet and not outrageously expensive. I'm on the 10-15 year
plan with this house at this point and really not looking to put more
money than needed into the house. When we're ready to move/leave the
area this house will be a tear down so there really is no value in
'upgrading' things except for our own use/pleasure.

I've used some very high end KitchenAid in some vacation places we've
been and frankly have been very underwhelmed by them. It seems like
the current trend with most manufacturers is that unless you use a
rinse agent of some sort, the heated drying cycles don't perform
correctly. That's not a major consideration as we rarely use that
function. I don't really care if it has a plastic or stainless steel
tub. Our current one is plastic and no staining, etc. so that's not a
real factor either. I guess what I'm saying is that quiet is my
highest priority next to functionality. Don't need bunches of bells
and whistles - don't use them.

So, with those things in mind - any suggestions/recommendations? I'd
really like to be able to get one in the older beige/bisque color to
match the rest of the appliances in the kitchen. I've done some
checking and the only one that seems to be available that I've seen so
far in the big box stores is Frigidaire. But just not sure how quiet
some of the db ratings really are.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Kim in NJ
Old November 11th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I haven't bought a dishwasher recently, but do have something that might
work for those that "require" a rinse aid -- Try plain old white vinegar.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old November 11th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Mine's a bisque Maytag. It has every bell and whistle including OnStar and
the ability to play Brahms Lullaby. I only wanted quiet. It is. Polly

"Julia in MN" I haven't bought a dishwasher recently, but do have

Old November 11th 10, 07:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Mine is a GE Profile, Quiet Power, and works beautifully! It is
standard size, comes in a variety of colors to match your kitchen, and
was mid-range on pricing. The plumber who installed it told me it was
the most reliable dishwasher brand and model he has ever worked with.
It is so quiet that I have to look at the little power light or feel
the front to be sure that is is really on, and I can actually use it
while there are guests in the house hanging out in the kitchen. I am
VERY happy with this dishwasher!
Old November 11th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Find one that has the gunk trap that you can simply reach in, twist, remove,
rinse, replace. Otherwise it will cost to have someone come out and take
the thing apart to clean it out. BTDT. There are chopper blades below the
trap, or whatever, to chop up larger food chunks but the holes in the screen
to get to the chopper blades are so fine that nothing but water can get
through. How stupid is that. We can't reach the screen, so we have to
practically scrap everything clean. You probably won't want to spend the
money on a Bosc brand, but it's worth a look inside to see the easily
removable trap (whatever it's called) to see what I mean.

The one that we have now is a KitchenAid, stainless steel interior and
quiet, but with the above mentioned flaw. Our old one was a Costco special,
noisy, but easily cleaned.

Steven
Alaska

Old November 11th 10, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

"AuntK" wrote in message

[...]

Kim in NJ- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all. This is exactly the type info I've been looking for.
Can't find any online reviews of the models I've looked at thus far.
Will definitely have to check the Maytag and GE - especially with that
plumber endorsement!

Kim in NJ

Old November 11th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

On 10/11/2010 8:53 PM, AuntK wrote:
[...]

Hi Kim,

I have access to Consumer Reports online so I've sent you some of their
dishwasher reviews to your email addy. I used the address in the most
recent directory - if it's no longer correct just email me with your new
one.

HTH
Allison
Old November 11th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Nov 11, 10:47*am, Allison wrote:
[...]

Allison- Hide quoted text -

Allison,
THANK YOU sooo much! The address is still valid. I access the group
through Google, so as soon as I'm done here I'll check it out. I was
actually just looking at some of the info on both the Maytag and GE
dishwashers online and see several recalls on various models of both
due to fire hazards. So those of you with those models - PLEASE go
check. That's one of the issues DH has had with the unit we currently
have. He's a firefigher so gets to see some of this stuff first
hand. A good thing but some times makes my shopping a challenge.

Kim
Old November 11th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:44:53 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

Mine's a bisque Maytag. It has every bell and whistle including OnStar
and the ability to play Brahms Lullaby. I only wanted quiet. It is.
Polly

That is something to think about.

Mine is 20 years old and occasionally grumps about washing the dishes.
Plus she will do them in an odd order no matter how many times I
emphasize clear glass and silver first, pots and pans last.

Eventually I'm going to need a new one and have been considering the
benefits of one I just have to plug in and hook up to the water.
It certainly would be more cost effective than going through the insanity
of raising up a fresh organic one!

Besides, quiet would be good.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Went shopping.......... Marie Dodge[_3_] Quilting 2 February 9th 08 06:10 PM
OT - Shopping Kalera Stratton Beads 0 January 28th 05 05:39 AM
OT Dishwasher working!!! melinda Beads 0 October 4th 04 01:33 AM
dye-discharge with dishwasher gel Monique Reed Quilting 3 July 21st 04 04:34 PM
dishwasher sign Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 12 August 15th 03 12:59 AM